GnuPG.pup - PGP encryption program - New url for download

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
Johnny Reb

GnuPG.pup - PGP encryption program - New url for download

#1 Post by Johnny Reb »

Here is a dotpup for GnuPG 1.4.2: http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... 0gnupg.pup

Now available here: http://dotpups.de/JR/gnupg.pup

For those that don't know GnuPG is the open source version of the PGP encryption program. This was compiled on my computer using Puppy 1.0.5, and it works. Please note that this is the latest version of GnuPG, and it will not run on a version of Puppy eariler that 1.0.5, so if you are using Puppy 1.0.4 or eariler you will have to upgrade if you want to use GnuPG. Another caution; I tried every way I could think of to compile one of the stand alone front ends for GnuPG without any luck. If you are using Thunderbird, or Mozilla mail it's no problem because they have a plugin that provides a front end for GnuPG, but if you are not it will still work fine from a terminal. Also note, this will install into /usr/local/gnupg/bin and if you run this from a terminal you will have to cd into that directory and ./gpg in order to run it. If you are using either Mozilla Mail or Thunderbird go here: http://enigmail.mozdev.org/index.html and get the enigmail plugin, and it will allow you to configure either of these to run gpg from within the email client.

The section above, highlighted in bold/italic is now obsolete. GPA has been compiled, and is available for download from the forum (as are Gnutls & GpgME). Also, it is eaiser to invoke GPG from a terminal if you download and install the script I've uploaded here to /usr/local/bin. Once that script is installed all you need to do is type "gpg" (without the quotation marks) in a terminal and it will invoke GPG.

Please Note: In order to upload the script I had to include a file extension so I just stuck .tar on it. It is not a .tar file! All you need to do to use it is delete the .tar and it will work.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." ~ Samuel Adams

When all other rights are taken away, the right of rebellion is made
perfect. ~ Thomas Paine
Attachments
gpg.tar
(44 Bytes) Downloaded 1080 times
Last edited by Johnny Reb on Mon 02 Jan 2006, 06:13, edited 5 times in total.

Johnny Reb

#2 Post by Johnny Reb »

Update, I've just installed Puppy 1.0.5 onto a computer that has not had Puppy installed on it before, and took to opportunity to check & make sure all the required library files were included in the dotpup, and they were. So, please disregard my previous caution that there might be some library files missing. The GnuPG dotpup works perfectly.

The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are. ~ H.L. Mencken

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. ~ H.L. Mencken
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#3 Post by Johnny Reb »

There has been some confusion over how to invoke gpg from the location this dotpup installs it, so I created a couple of test keys, and started gpg from the terminal, and encrypted a file. I made a screen shot of this, so the output from the terminal is there, and I believe it will make it clearer than the directions I posted.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Government is, or ought to be, instituted for the common benefit

and security of the people, nation or community; whenever any

government shall be found inadequate or contrary to these

purposes, a majority of the community hath an indubitable,

unalienable, indefeasible right, to reform, alter, or abolish

it, in such manner as shall be judged most conducive to the

public Weal. ~ George Mason
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#4 Post by Johnny Reb »

GnuPG is now available from here: http://dotpups.de/JR/gnupg.pup The url at the begining of the thread has been updated as well.

"The sole object of this war is to restore the union. Should I become convinced it has any other object, or that the Government designs using its soldiers to execute the wishes of the Abolitionists, I pledge you my honor as a man and a soldier I would resign my commission and carry my sword to the other side." ~ Gen. U.S. Grant

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.
~ H.L. Mencken

Ben Bradlee "To hell with the news. I'm no longer interested in news. I'm interested in causes. We don't print the truth. We don't pretend to print the truth..."

~ former Washington Post executive editor Ben Bradlee
~ Thomas Paine

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

Johnny Reb, rather than getting this dotpup, I decided to get the latest GnuPG (version 1.4.4) and compile it. That worked amazingly well (as far as I can tell, at the moment) so then I was going to take the next step and get enigmail. But I found this warning on the enigmail download page:
Enigmail needs to be compiled using the same environment as the Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite you are about to install it on. This usually means that you should either use the official binary builds of both (the Mozilla application and Enigmail) - or only use packages provided by your distribution - or build both manually. For example if you use a distribution Thunderbird package with the official Enigmail build, you will encounter problems!
If I understand it, this is warning me not to use my standard SeaMonkey Puppy with a compiled Enigmail, because the two will have been compiled in different environments.

What's the best way around this? Should I get the basic Puppy without Seamonkey, and compile both SeaMonkey and Enigmail on the same environment?

It would be nice if the standard SeaMonkey Puppy included Enigmail, although that would make it larger of course.

I actually prefer Thunderbird/Firefox to Seamonkey, but that too adds to the size, although I don't know by how much. Disk space is cheap, but I assume the executables in memory are also separate, with no sharing of modules, and that would not be a good thing.

munduruku

#6 Post by munduruku »

Johnny Reb, I was looking for

$ curl https://????.org/???.gpg | gpg --import

, I am a linux beginner, I use Quirk 1.1 and the check
is still MD5, enough for the job and then, who knows,
not very good when we know data transmission can be duplicated maliciously, and found some information here. As I am no machine, reading your words made me wonder:

Johnny Reb, we all know The North always milked
The South. Not only The South, they milk whoever
they can. They profited from Slavery in The South
and by the time they decided to live Southerners
destitute and rob their properties, they accused The
South of not being able to enslave all the people, all
The South population to feed greed in The North and
the War of secession, better. War of Independence (1861–1865), began, because The Southern Christians, in order to end up Slavery, had no other choice excepting taking over The North and fix The Economy to be able to end slavery altogether. I am researching about the manipulation of PGP by the totalitarians and also how they are using Virtual Machines Maser Micro-waving to steal and duplicate false date, both directly inside the human cortex ( North-American Patent 60011991) when I came across you cry for freedom and felt the need, as a Linux user, and other who cares, to leave you this message of support for the cause of Freedom, Edmund Ruffin missed, let us not mistake the real target again.