Anyone want custom kernels or drivers?

News, happenings
edoc

#41 Post by edoc »

edoc wrote:
BlackAdder wrote: You could then restart Puppy and edit wireless.conf etc. as explained in the HowTo.
I used the suggested values at the bottom. BTW: I am using a Netgear WGR614 v5 wireless router.

It showed errors on the suggested values that I loaded in wireless.conf
Tried several different settings, rebooting between each, finally went back and removed all of the settings and rebooted and there were no errors.

Then I ran WAG, clicked on DHCP TOGGLE which cause dhcpcd to be "running".

Then clicked "Internet Ping" and internet ping failed.

The clicked Scan and lots of fun info showed up!

Cell - 01 Address: 00:0F:B5:6C:08:F4
ESSID: "NETGEAR"
Mode: Managed
Frequency: 2.462GHz
Quality: 0/100 Signal level: -35 dBm Noise level: -256 dBm
Encryption key: off

So I entered "ap 00:0F:B5:6C:08:F4", ESSID: "NETGEAR", Mode: Managed, and Frequency: 2.462GHz ... rebooted and no errors!

I clicked on WAG and it said that it had connected but when I opened Mozilla there was no connection so I clicked on DHCP TOGGLE and after a very long time WAG reported dhcpcd not running, no ip assigned to wlan0, access point aquired (spelling typo in the app).

I tried Radio 3 but it just disappeared, no error message and no response. Tried Mozilla again and no connect. Tried DHCP TOGGLE again and waited and waited and still the same as before.

I feel as though I am o-so-close ... what am I missing, please?

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

keenerd

#42 Post by keenerd »

I'd say you are really really close.

Its a matter of hitting the right buttons in the right order. You have to connect to a network before you can connect to the internet. I'd try Scan, Cell XX. Then Dhcp Toggle to get an IP address. Once you are granted an IP you should be online. If you past the Ping Test, then you are certainly online.

edoc

#43 Post by edoc »

keenerd wrote:I'd say you are really really close.
Its a matter of hitting the right buttons in the right order. You have to connect to a network before you can connect to the internet. I'd try Scan, Cell XX. Then Dhcp Toggle to get an IP address. Once you are granted an IP you should be online. If you past the Ping Test, then you are certainly online.
Tried it but no joy ;-(

Wireless card active
Wireless card responding

No module loaded
dhcpcd not running
wifi-beta installed

wlan0 enabled
no IP assigned to wlan0
no internet ping test

2 wireless network(s) detected [I am out in the woods and thus have no idea what the second one is unless WAG is counting the same one twice for lack of purge or de-dup code)

1 open network detected.

Will have to get back to this tomorrow, it's after midnight here ... again!

Sigh ... Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

tempestuous

#44 Post by tempestuous »

edoc,
I thought I would jump in and offer a fresh perspective.
I apologise if any of this advice you know already.

It sounds to me that the ndiswrapper driver for your Buffalo adaptor is loading fine. Configuration is now the issue.
I suggest you forget about scanning for multiple wireless networks (with WAG) for a moment and concentrate on setting up just one wireless configuration - for your Netgear WGR614 wireless router. I have this router myself.

You should know the router's Wireless Network Name (SSID) and you should have Security Encryption (WEP) disabled for now. You can enable WEP later when you know everything is working.
If you are uncertain about either of these, you should log onto the router's configuration interface using an ethernet-cabled workstation ... it may need to be a Windows computer. In either InternetExplorer or Netscape enter http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar. You will be prompted for a username and password - these are the defaults listed in your manual. If you don't have your reference manual you can download it here - http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGR614v5.asp

If the router's password has been changed you will need to do a full reset -
Press and hold the Default Reset button (on the rear) until the test LED turns on (about 10 seconds).
Release the Default Reset button and wait for the router to reboot.

Now let's temporarily rename /etc/rc.d/wireless.conf, so it doesn't come into play while we set things up from the commandline.
Load the driver -
modprobe ndiswrapper
This should create a network interface ... the name of which I think is defined in wireless.conf(?)
For now, run "ifconfig -a" or "iwconfig" to find the name of the interface ... let's assume "wlan0".
Now we connect to your Netgear router's wireless network -
iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_ESSID mode Managed (obviously replace "MY_ESSID" with whatever)
Now let's see if you can ping the router -
ping 192.168.0.1
Do you see a response? If so, let's proceed and get ourselves an IP address - if by DHCP (see router settings) -
dhcpcd -t 20 -h puppypc -d wlan0
... or if you want to assign a static IP
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.xx broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 wlan0

Run "ifconfig" to confirm puppy's network status.
Happy surfing.

Now you can consider enabling WEP in your router's setup. Take note of the WEP key ... now the iwconfig command would be -
iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_ESSID key 1234567890 mode Managed

Now you can try entering the correct settings in wireless.conf, and everything should work "automagically" - for your Netgear.
Craig S

edoc

#45 Post by edoc »

tempestuous wrote: I thought I would jump in and offer a fresh perspective. Craig S
HEY!!! I just realized that I am logged on using my Buffalo G54 wireless pcmcia card!

When I powered down last night it wasn't responding via the ping test but apparently a power down and reboot was necessary.

I didn't even notice that the wireless card instead of the wired card was plugged in.

Sure appreciate the help!

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

peppyy

#46 Post by peppyy »

I saw this thread a long time ago and I have concidered asking for a version of Puppy with the modules for infra red , (IRDA) built in. It would be nice to include irda drivers for the bjc-80 and 85 printers too. I have no idea why I have such a problem figuring out how to compile a kernel in Puppy.

Since I am building mostly PupTops I would be interested in power management and wifi, (which is pretty well covered) and anything else that makes them more portable. I think I am going to stick with the older IBM ThinkPads because they seem very durable and easy to find at the moment.

The 600E's have a few quirks that need some special tweaking but overall are by far the most popular of the machines I have built due mostly to the size. Another thing that always amazes people is the battery life. Since Puppy runs in ram, If the hard drive is idled down the battery lasts forever, compaired to many other popular O/Ses.

My plan is to put together complete packages.

PupTop
Wifi enabled
Power Adapter, A second one optional
Case for PupTop
Docking station or port replecator, optional
Usb pen drive for backup.
Printer with wireless printing and power adapter
Optional battery power for printer.
Case for printer.

If I can do this correctly I should be able to sell a complete package for a reasonable price. 10% of my profit will go to Puppy as it has in the past.

I have several requests I hope to fill in the next month or so.

Tell me this is not a slick setup :wink:
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

edoc

#47 Post by edoc »

peppyy wrote:Since I am building mostly PupTops I would be interested in power management and wifi, (which is pretty well covered) and anything else that makes them more portable. I think I am going to stick with the older IBM ThinkPads because they seem very durable and easy to find at the moment.
The 600E's ...
I have two 600E's one with and one without a HDD.

Is it possible to boot a 600E without a HDD? I do have a small HDD somewhere but no carrier. Have you rigged one to boot from a USB stick?

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

~newbie

Bootsplash

#48 Post by ~newbie »

I wish a compiled kernel of Puppy Linux supporting Grub bootsplash. Because when I put the GRUB parameter splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in the menu.lst nothing happens. Can this be possible? Wish to have this in Puppy 1.0.6

Re: Bootsplash

#49 Post by Guest »

~newbie wrote:I wish a compiled kernel of Puppy Linux supporting Grub bootsplash. Because when I put the GRUB parameter splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in the menu.lst nothing happens. Can this be possible? Wish to have this in Puppy 1.0.6
Nothing to do with the Puppy Kernel...read the Grub man pages\docs more closely

bombay_rockers

kernel 2.6.12 for puppy

#50 Post by bombay_rockers »

how to compile kernel 2.6.12 for puppy or can you do it for me ?
Is there a way to use the precompiled kernel available on linux-live.org in puppy.
it is already patched for unionfs and squashfs

gliezl

#51 Post by gliezl »

I think GRUB won't support the splashimage command. Or maybe the kernel does not support it. :?
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

#52 Post by Guest »

splashimage in grub works for me, (without '=' sign) :-

splashimage (hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

RMW

#53 Post by RMW »

How about a script to handle all the command line configurations for wifi for us, or some sort of interface? Just gets to be a pain to have to use two computers (one to read the instructions, one to configure) to try to get it to work. Sue me, I'm lazy :)

And if someone feels like putting that together, how about including WAP in it. Be nice to boot up, enter the wizard, fill in the blanks, and let the script/UI configure everything for me, fix the appropriate files, etc. I've never gotten WAP to work properly, which I can only guess means I'm consistently screwing up something during configuration.

edoc

#54 Post by edoc »

RMW wrote:How about a script to handle all the command line configurations for wifi for us, or some sort of interface? Just gets to be a pain to have to use two computers (one to read the instructions, one to configure) to try to get it to work. Sue me, I'm lazy :)

And if someone feels like putting that together, how about including WAP in it. Be nice to boot up, enter the wizard, fill in the blanks, and let the script/UI configure everything for me, fix the appropriate files, etc. I've never gotten WAP to work properly, which I can only guess means I'm consistently screwing up something during configuration.
I was just discussing this with a new user of Puppy 1.0.5 today.

He was very surprised that loading 1.0.5 to a HDD was as complex as it is and that it is a nightmare to try and figure out a ndiswrapper wireless install because that is missing from 1.0.5

I received a great deal of help installing my Buffalo g54 wireless pcmcia nic under 1.0.4 and have not upgraded completely to 1.0.5 on that laptop because I am not prepared to invest the time to try and make it work under 1.0.5 ... I am praying that wireless is more comprehensively addressed in 1.0.6

I agree that these processes need to be automated for Puppy to go mainstream -- it is *rare* that a laptop user does not need wireless and the short list of wireless nic drivers leaves many offline -- the ndiswrapper process needs full automation as you have described because so many laptop nics (some internal) require it under Linux.

I wish I could do it but a new child in the house, starting a new small business, and new responsibilities at church on top of the already busy schedule doesn't leave the many hours necessary right now.

There must be someone out there who is more technically adept who can make this happen ... ;-)

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

kelewax

#55 Post by kelewax »

Please is there a way for me to say the type of mouse I want to use in the menu.lst placed in the c:\boot so that i am not asked to select my mouse type during booting? I know for example that I can choose the keyboard map by using PKEYS=us

I am using puppy 1.0.5 on NTFS hard disk.
Last edited by kelewax on Thu 10 Nov 2005, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

RMW

#56 Post by RMW »

As long as we're talking custom kernels, has anyone tried a 64-bit build? I'm using a 64-bit AMD, be interesting if Puppy could take advantage of that.

BTW, don't waste your time on WinXP 64. Driver nightmare. I actually had to add entries to the latest Nvidia .inf to get it to recognize my video card. If you are like me and have a mix of old and new hardware you are just asking for headaches.