Pup4a5's Xfprot with default settings won't scan <solved>

Please post any bugs you have found
otropogo

Pup4a5's Xfprot with default settings won't scan <solved>

#1 Post by otropogo »

Last night I burned Puppy 4 alpha 5 and booted cleanly from CD. After setting up the internet connection, I immediately went to the xfprot tab in the Utilities menu, and clicked on it.

Puppy proceeded to download Xfprot, and I installed it, accepting all of the default settings offered. Then I let it go back online to download the current signature files.

All of this transpired without out any error messages or other signs of problems.

However, when I try to use the scan function (F1), I get the following message:

xterm_simulate_hold.sh: line 2
xfprot scan: command not found.
Last edited by otropogo on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Thanks for the report. I fixed it.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

otropogo

#3 Post by otropogo »

BarryK wrote:Thanks for the report. I fixed it.
You're welcome.

Is there a way I can effect the fix on my alpha 5 system, or do I have to wait for the Beta?

BTW - I've also noticed that my USB mouse is spastic with Puppy 4 alpha 5.

My day-to-day desktop Puppy is Ver. 4.0 kernel 2.6.21, and I generally boot it with both a PS2 mouse and a USB mouse attached to the PC. And I've never had a problem with the USB mouse (the PS/2 mouse sometimes goes lame)

But when I start alpha 4 with the same setup, the USB mouse always responds with jerky, uncontrolable movements, making it essentially useless, while the PS/2 mouse seems to behave normally.

NB: I've got the USB mouse attached to a motherboard USB 1.1 connection, and there is also a USB 2.0 PCI card active on the system.

Will try switching the mouse to USB 2.0 next time I boot alpha 5, to see if it makes a difference.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Try this: run the BootManager (System menu) and click the button to "Click here to blacklist a module". Then move 'usbhid' to the right pane, and 'usbmouse' and 'usbkeyboad' to the left pane. Then reboot.
Let me know if that makes any difference to your mouse.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

otropogo

#5 Post by otropogo »

BarryK wrote:Try this: run the BootManager (System menu) and click the button to "Click here to blacklist a module". Then move 'usbhid' to the right pane, and 'usbmouse' and 'usbkeyboad' to the left pane. Then reboot.
Will try it next time I boot alpha 5.

I did try booting alpha 5 with the USB mouse on the USB 2 connector just a few minutes ago, and that time, the USB mouse behaved normally.

Much more disturbing is alpha 5's consistent failure to shut down properly.

I've tried both "reboot" and "power down", and in both cases, it always locks up with a "system halt".

It doesn't release the CD drive, so it's impossible to remove the CD, and it doesn't power down the PC.

CTL-ALT-DEL does nothing, and my PC has no reset button, so I have to manually shut off the power, then power it up again just to remove the CD.

Same thing if all I want to do is reboot with another CD. Haven't had any such problem with Puppy 4.0 kernel 2.6.21.

And what about the fix for Xfprot? Do I have to wait for the next release to use it?

Including it in Puppy is a great idea, IMO, and I'd like to take advantage of it ASAP.

otropogo

#6 Post by otropogo »

BarryK wrote:Try this: run the BootManager (System menu) and click the button to "Click here to blacklist a module". Then move 'usbhid' to the right pane, and 'usbmouse' and 'usbkeyboad' to the left pane. Then reboot.
Have now tried your fix for the mouse, and am sorry to report that it had no effect on the USB mouse's spastic movement when connected via USB 1.1.

BUT, when I rebooted after making the three blacklist changes (having changed nothing else in my system), alpha 5 shut down properly for the first time. To be exact, I chose the reboot option and it shut down Puppy and rebooted the PC, something it has never done before in perhaps a dozen tries.

And when I rebooted again in order to load Puppy 4.0 to post this report (I can't remember my password, and so can't change it, although I can modify everything else in my profile), alpha 5 shut down normally again.

I conclude that something in the blacklist actions you prescribed fixed that problem.

GeoW

Xfprot

#7 Post by GeoW »

otropogo,

This is what I did to get Xfprot to run:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3a48fd4f44

GeoW

otropogo

Re: Xfprot

#8 Post by otropogo »

GeoW wrote:otropogo,

This is what I did to get Xfprot to run:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3a48fd4f44

GeoW
Your link takes me to page 4 of 5 of the 4.1 Alpha 3 thread. I've read the page through twice and searched for references to xfprot or fprot with Seamonkey's "find on this page" function, but haven't noticed anything that seems to relate to my xfprot dependencies problem in 4.1 Alpha 5.

Can you pinpoint the relevant posting for me?

I'm also surprised that a problem detected and solved in Alpha 3 would recur in Alpha 5.

GeoW

#9 Post by GeoW »

otropogo,

I had no problem finding it with that link - but I knew what it looked like.

Here is a copy:

GeoW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:14 pm Post subject: XF-Prot virus scanner works
Subject description: after minor addition to $PATH Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Flapdoodle,

You are in luck. Puppy contains XF-Prot virus scanner builtin. It's in
Menu > Utility.

The first time you select it, it downloads and installs; after that,
select it and it runs.

It does, however, need a minor tune up. I got a file not found and
an unknown command. Both were solved by adding the following
to /etc/profile:

Code:
PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/f-prot:/usr/local/xfprot" # GWB 5Jul2008

I added this line just before:
Code:

export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH

which is around line 42.

Now it works! Note that this is most likely not the approved BK
solution, but it will do the job.

GeoW

otropogo

#10 Post by otropogo »

I've found it too, now. And I know why I didn't see it before. Your URL sent me to page 4 of 5 of the 4.1 alpha 3 thread, but the message is on Page 2 of the thread in my browser. The fault lies with the forum's or Seamonkey's paging of threads and the fact that I have my sorting preference set in descending chronological order (most recent at the top).

I've tested it by changing my reading preferences to ascending order (original post at top, most recent at bottom). At this setting, Seamonkey still shows the page as # "4 of 5", but this time your post is on the page.

I'll give your fix a try with 4.1 alpha 5, and report back, but what I'd really like is to have xfprot work in Puppy 4.0 kernel 2.6.21, the version I actually use (and which I'm in no way ready to risk upgrading to any alphas or betas on the horizon).

That one has xfprot in the utilities menu too, but clicking on it does absolutely NOTHING. Is there a way to make that one work?

GeoW

#11 Post by GeoW »

otropogo,

Odd - I have 2.6.21.7 and I do not have Xfprot in the utilitise menu.

GeoW

otropogo

#12 Post by otropogo »

Here is a copy:
Ok, I entered your code in /etc/profile, and xfprot does run now, but not very well.

First of all, it won't touch the partition on which I have my 2sf file, which means more than 80% of the partition can't be scanned.

Secondly, it won't let me select which files in the other partition to ignore.When I try to use the add tab to select files to scan, it lets me, but then scans only the last one selected. It seems the only way I can scan more than one directory at a time is to select the whole partition, which means I have to scan several gigabytes of image files I created myself.

Thirdly, it gives me no option to append to the scan log. Overwrite or cancel are the only choices offered.

Fourth, it reports three infected objects, but doesn't list them, and there seems to be no find function in the window that displays the scan report. So how do I find the three infected files?

I tried selecting, copying and pasting all of the report into AbiWord, but it locked up.

So I'm down to scrolling endlessly with the down cursor key, keeping my eye on the left column of "[clean]"'s flashing by for any change.

The scan of the partition took only four minutes, but looking through the report file for the three infected files took forever.

Am I missing something, or is this just the way it is?

In the end, the report contained one suspected trojan labelled "undisinfectable" (oh great!) from PHOTOME.DE and one WS32/agent virus I'd already noted as suspicious.

This suspected trojan is BTW, described at Photome.de as "the Microsoft GDI+ Library". Could it be legitimate and also a trojan?

I submitted the file to two online scan sites, and only fprot and two other scanners found it suspicious.

The only benefit of this scan may be the indication that the pburn.pet is damaged. Maybe that explains why pburn can't write to CD?

Found possible trojan] <W32/Heuristic-VFM!Eldorado (not disinfectable)> /mnt/sda3/PHOTOME.DE/GDIPlusSetup.exe
[Unscannable] <File is damaged> /mnt/sda3/pburn195/normalize-0.7.6-2-i386.pet->(packed)
[Found security risk] <W32/Agent.HFN (exact)> /mnt/sda3/malware/upsinvoice/ups_invoice.exe

PS. will try later to figure out how xfprot got into my Puppy 4.0 2.6.21 utiltities menu. Could running the xfprot-0.24bpatched.pet on Puppy 4.0 have created the menu entry?