Problem with Puppy mounting Linneighborhood shares

Using applications, configuring, problems
Philosopher

Problem with Puppy mounting Linneighborhood shares

#1 Post by Philosopher »

Hi everybody,

as I'm new to this forum I'd first of all like to say "Hi" to everybody. I'm pretty much a newbie to Linux but immediately fell in love :D Thanks to Puppy I could breathe some life into my old PII 233/64MB RAM again. Now I can actually work with that box again ... which is so amazing. Thanks, Puppy! I have already benefitted quite a bit from the friendly and knowledgeable Puppy community just by browsing the wiki and the forum. But now it's time to ask a question :?

We have a home network with 3 boxes (one WinXP Home, one Win2k Prof, one Puppy). As a preliminary I can say that unrestricted shares from XP can be seen and mounted by Puppy. I'd like to share some folders of the XP computer with Puppy exclusively. So I restricted the shares to a local user on the WinXP box. I entered the user name and password in Linneighborhood but whenever I try to mount the restricted shares I get this error message:

"Directory missing/deleted"

And whenever I try to unmount the failed mounts I get this error message:

"umount: /root/mnt/winxp/share: Permission denied"

I guess there is a problem with the user rights in Linux. But I just don't know enough about Linux/Puppy to get it fixed. If somebody could point me into the right directions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Try mounting the drive from the command line (rxvt console) and see if you get the same error.

Code: Select all

smbmount //<serveraddress>/<sharedfolder> <mountpoint> username=<username> password=<password>
for example

Code: Select all

smbmount //192.168.1.99/share   /root/mnt/winxp/share username=pupuser  password=user123
Just make sure that the folder /root/mnt/winxp/share exists.

Please copy the results of the command in your next post.

Philosopher

#3 Post by Philosopher »

Hi rarsa,

using the cli for mounting there is no error message. But when I try to access the mount point in ROX I get:
Directory '/root/mnt/winxp/share' is not accessible
Hm ... I would interpret this as the same result as before. (But maybe I'm all wrong here.) Somehow the shares are mounted but I cannot access them. I also cannot unmount them unless I reboot.

Any ideas?

Chris

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

I will test later today. I have a similar setting in my network so I can easily replicate the problem (or the solution)

I am in a hurry right now, I will present puppy at my local Linux User's Group and I'm preparing for that burning copies.

It may not be until tomorrow night that I have a response.

Philosopher

#5 Post by Philosopher »

That's great. Thanks very much, rarsa. Good luck with the presentation!

gliezl

#6 Post by gliezl »

mine works! :) You forgot the "o" parameter.

smbmount //machine/share /folder2bmounted -o username=gliezl,password=puppy105
Last edited by gliezl on Tue 08 Nov 2005, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

gliezl

#7 Post by gliezl »

You can umount them. right-click the mounted folder or share then select UNMOUNT.
in my case, /root/archive is where i mount my network drive. using ROX filer i unmount the folder archive/

Philosopher

#8 Post by Philosopher »

Hi gliezl,

looks indeed like a syntax error. But shouldn't there be an error message if the parameters for the cli command are not correct? I cannot check again before tomorrow morning as I currently cannot access my Puppy-PC. It's already 1am over here .. gotta go to bed soon. I'll try your suggestions first thing in the morning and let you know if I had more luck.

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Johnny Reb

Re: Problem with Puppy mounting Linneighborhood shares

#9 Post by Johnny Reb »

Philosopher wrote:Hi everybody,

. I'd like to share some folders of the XP computer with Puppy exclusively. So I restricted the shares to a local user on the WinXP box. I entered the user name and password in Linneighborhood but whenever I try to mount the restricted shares I get this error message:

"Directory missing/deleted"

And whenever I try to unmount the failed mounts I get this error message:

"umount: /root/mnt/winxp/share: Permission denied"

Chris
Have you given the user on the XP box the right to logon interactively? That could be the source of your problem.

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors; they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men."
~ Samuel Adams, article published in 1771

Apply Samuel's quote to the loss of our 10th Amendment to Lincoln, and to the present
attack on the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, & 9th Amendments.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

rarsa

#10 Post by rarsa »

gliezl wrote:mine works! :) You forgot the "o" parameter.
Oops, thats true, as I said I was in a hurry.

Thank you Gliezl.

Philosopher

#11 Post by Philosopher »

@gliezl

I have tried the corrected smbmount syntax ... with exactly the same result. Hm ... search me ... But thanks for your input!

@Johnny Reb
Johnny Reb wrote:Have you given the user on the XP box the right to logon interactively? That could be the source of your problem.
To tell you the truth I'm not sure what you mean with that. I assume it would be the right to login with username and password. But isn't that the normal procedure anyway? Or do you mean a remote login? :?

Oh boy, I feel so confused right now ...

Philosopher

#12 Post by Philosopher »

Okay ... I made some additional tests and played around with the smbclient command. In the end I was pointed into the right direction and found this on the Web:
http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm wrote:Both Windows XP Home Edition and XP Professional workstations that are not part of a domain, use a network access model called "Simple File Sharing," where all attempts to log on to the computer from across the network are forced to use the Guest account (to prevent them from using a local Administrator account that wasn't configured with a password) This means that if you're connected to the internet and don't use a secure firewall, your files contained within those shares are available to just about anybody.
This also means that shares restricted to a specific user can't be accessed remotely :(
Unfortunately, XP Home Edition doesn't allow you to disable Simple File Sharing and is unable to join a domain, so the best you can hope for is to make sure you set your shared folders to be read only, hide the file shares by using a $ sign after the folder name, or if your using the NTFS file system, use the 'Make Private" option in the folder properties.
This is just another perfect example for the crippled network capabilities of XP Home :evil: And another very good reason to switch my main OS to Linux!

Well, I'll see if there is a solution to this problem short of upgrading to XP Pro (won't happen anyway :wink: ). If I find something I'll make it public just in case somebody runs into a similar problem.

Thanks to all those who tried to help. I really appreciate it :D

gliezl

#13 Post by gliezl »

I can browse WinXP Professional shared folders without problems using Puppy 1.0.5. Yet those shares have no password. I am just using the guest account. I wish I could help you more. :(

Philosopher

#14 Post by Philosopher »

That's very kind of you, gliezl :D

But the problem is finally solved. At this website

http://www.wintotal.de/Tipps/Eintrag.ph ... 4&URBID=12

I found a guide for patching WinXP Home to some sort of WinXP Professional Light. I've done this and all the problems are gone. This way, Professional's enhanced user administration and netshare feature are enabled and the irritating ForceGuest feature can be deactivated as well. Alas, the website is in German so if anybody wants to try this out either google for an English-language site on this topic or send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Sorry, in the end it was not a Linux but a Windows issue :roll: