How to access a Windows printer from Puppy 301

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gerry

How to access a Windows printer from Puppy 301

#1 Post by gerry »

First of all I tried using the method described in

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29208

but without success. CUPS error log showed lots of messages, including one about "Can't get ticket cache...". I thought (see footnote 1) that this could be because the cups version in 301 needs a password to do anything that's not routine.

I'm using live cd, and have not tried this with either frugal or full install.

I downloaded and installed "cups-install-v0.2r1.pup", which overwrote the existing cups version, and is the same version as in Puppy 4. Find it in:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/

EDIT: another detail- I mentioned it in one of my replies to topic 29208: the symlink smb needs to point to /usr/bin/smbspool, not /opt/samba/bin/smbspool.

EDIT: Another detail: our Windows machine runs XP.

Then I just set my windows printer up as for Puppy 4, and it works.

Footnote 1- after a lot of Googling and experimenting.

Gerry
Last edited by gerry on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:46, edited 5 times in total.

prehistoric

Re: How to access a Windows printer from Puppy 301

#2 Post by prehistoric »

gerry wrote:First of all I tried using the method described in

www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29208
You can easily insert a clickable link to a URL in a post. Just paste and select the URL, then click the URL button. This produces text which looks like this in the edit window.

Code: Select all

[url]www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29208[/url]
You can even pretty things up by giving the link a descriptive label like this thread on printing in Puppy using this actual text, as seen in the edit window.

Code: Select all

[url=www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29208]this thread on printing in Puppy[/url]
I downloaded and installed "cups-install-v0.2r1.pup", which overwrote the existing cups version, and is the same version as in Puppy 4. Look in the stickies at the start of the Additional software forum.

EDIT: it's in topic 5448. Scroll down to MU's dotpups.de dotpup collection
Just copy the URL, including the topic number. Like this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5448 Better yet, provide the actual link to the pup yourself, like this.

gerry

#3 Post by gerry »

Thanks Prehistoric, BUT..... I know these things are possible, and I've tried to do it, but somehow I just don't get it! So, suppose I click on "New Topic", and then start typing. I want to include a URL. So, as you say, I need to paste and select the URL, then click "URL".

Where do I find the required URL for me to "paste and select"? The only URL I can see is the one for the new topic that I'm creating. So how do I throw six to start?

Gerry

prehistoric

browsers and URLs

#4 Post by prehistoric »

@gerry,

Without knowing which browser you were using I have a small problem. If you are using Opera 9.51 or Firefox 3.01 you can open another tab. (I think Seamonkey may require you to open another window.) Opera has a nice feature which allows you to select "duplicate tab" when you right click on a tab, (check help under "tabbed browsing".) This is handy for keeping a tab open for a post you plan to reply to by using the reply or quote button on the page where you read it. Firefox also has on-line documentation explaining tabbed browsing. You can also select recent pages you have viewed from history.

Once you have the page you want to link in one tab or window, you can select the URL and copy, typically with control-c. Go to the tab or window where you are composing a post, click on the place in the edit box where you want it and paste, typically using control-v.

Clear enough?

gerry

#5 Post by gerry »

@Prehistoric- better? I'm using the standard issue SeaMonkey.

Thanks... Gerry
And by the way- how prehistoric are you? I'm 72.

jpeps

Re: How to access a Windows printer from Puppy 301

#6 Post by jpeps »

gerry wrote:
EDIT: another detail- I mentioned it in one of my replies to topic 29208: the symlink smb needs to point to /usr/bin/smbspool, not /opt/samba/bin/smbspool.

EDIT: Another detail: our Windows machine runs XP.
Depends on where your smbspool is. On my setup (Dingo) it's in the opt directory.

gerry

#7 Post by gerry »

@jpeps- this thread is about Puppy 301, not Dingo, so your comment would be better in the thread about Dingo. That said... in the official released version of Dingo, ie Puppy 4.00, smbspool is in /opt/samba/bin/ as rcrsn51 said in his how-to. Are you using an alpha of the next version?

Gerry

prehistoric

prehistory

#8 Post by prehistoric »

gerry wrote:...And by the way- how prehistoric are you? I'm 72.
While exact numbers remain confidential, for reasons having to do with my first appearance on this forum, I have devoted a thread in the totally off-topic forum to the subject. Only a few statements there are seriously misleading.

The "Lamont Cranston" aspect crept up on me. (Sorry, but I lack U.K. equivalents.) At present, I can comment on factual errors in statements about the "American Civil War"/"War Between the States" without fear of contradiction. This also extends to the English Civil Wars (3). (Cromwell may have led the "Roundheads", but I assure you he always wore his hair long.) In the interests of truth, I have confessed my Latin was never up to Cicero's standards.

jpeps

#9 Post by jpeps »

gerry wrote:@jpeps- this thread is about Puppy 301, not Dingo, so your comment would be better in the thread about Dingo. That said... in the official released version of Dingo, ie Puppy 4.00, smbspool is in /opt/samba/bin/ as rcrsn51 said in his how-to. Are you using an alpha of the next version?

Gerry
ah...I thought that was a general setup comment...I missed the ref to Puppy 301. I was referring to /opt vs /usr ,meaning /opt/samba/bin..