Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 13:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Distrowatch & The Plupii Worm - Too Close for Comfort
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 11:55    Post_subject:  Distrowatch & The Plupii Worm - Too Close for Comfort  

I've been very impressed with the speed of Puppy on older machines, especially in not having a near continuous background overhead of updates for security products clogging up my dialup connection.

There's a thriving sub-industry of IS packages for that 'other' OS, almost the only thing that is thriving in that particular jungle. And they may be looking over to the Linux world as virgin territory.

According to Distrowatch, Puppy has been near the top of the charts for the last few weeks- ahead of big boys like Linspire & Red Hat at #20...
Today Distrowatch headlined the new release of Puppy 1.0.6
http://distrowatch.com/

Also today, I got another security alert about a new Linux worm (which is odd, because I've only gotten MS alerts in the past).
According to Symantec, the worm is named Linux.Plupii
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.plupii.html

While it won't search that way, squint your eyes a bit and you'll scan Puppy. Also interesting is that this is a non-standard name, McAfee calls it Lupper. Their recommended cure is drastic- wipe the HD...

Coincidence? perhaps. But it might be good if somebody knowledgable would write up a wiki page pronto on the security issues & advantages of a CD-based distro, as many newcomers will be looking at Distrowatch this week.
MU

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 12:33    Post_subject:  

No Panic - Don't wipe your harddisk!

That worm needs PHP and XML-RPC.
Puppy has no PHP, so it can not be infected.

If you installed my PHP-Dotpup, you might delete /usr/local/wwwroot/php/lib/php/XML
if you don't need that.

Or install the morizot-firewall that comes with Puppy.
It should block Port 7222.

German article: http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2005/8859.html

Until now, almost all "Linux"-worms just spread by infecting webservers or scriptlanguages used by them. (I think there were 40 until now, and just 2 or 3 could spread widely).

Mark
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 12:54    Post_subject:  

panicking I'm not! Very Happy d/l'ing 1.0.6 I am! Wink

what we might want to think about is that Puppy's very existence is a dire threat to the commercial empires: it rejuvenates old machines, it runs a lot of cool free software very fast, and it is relatively immune to attacks, especially on disc-based systems.

if anyone doubts the partisan warfare between Linux & Redmond, check the Talkbacks out here:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5938475.html?tag=nl.e539
user-786

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2005, 16:02    Post_subject:  

I am reletively new to Linux world ( only about 55 days old ) so ther is a prettty good chance that I may be wrong here, but nevertheless, I will speak my brains out.

The moment I started using Puppy, I have been using it as MS_Live CD running from the ram disk. Again, this may be because I have no hard drive in my computer, but this has served me well over the last two months. As I said, I am new, so I screw up a lot. Some times my Desktop vanishes completely, some times I delete files which should have never be deleted, the list is long, but, this is the beauty of Puppy, I just Reboot without saving that particular session, I agree, I loose some important work from time to time, which is done during that session, but IMHO it is better to loose some files rather than destroying the whole drive or a having to format one.

So to sum up, I think the feature I like the most about Puppy is it's ability to run without having to need a HD Install or a Hard Drive all together for that matter.

Again this is just my honest and humble opinion and no one has to agree with it, but It sure works for me, no doubt about it.

I have not experienced any virus like activity yet, on my computer, but if I will, I would just hit the Reset button. As simple as that.

Man, I am telling you, this is a work of art, this Puppy that is, un-precedented, un-paralleled. I just plain and simle Love it. Don't you ?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum