List your system

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
MattGSX

#41 Post by MattGSX »

Computer:

IBM Thinkpad 600X
CPU: Pentium III 500 MHz
RAM: 310 MB
Ethernet: None
Modem: PCI-modem (runs)
Wireless: Nintendo Wi-Fi Adapter (runs flawlessly through rt2750 module, but scan is a bit weak).
video: onboard (runs xorg well, runs xvessa okay)
sound: onboard (sounds fine).
Display: 1200x768 works fine.

Puppy:
I'm running Dingo, but I switched to icewm (xwin icewm), and I commented out all references to rox in the startup script to lower overhead. Puppy has made this old workhorse run faster than my Celeron-D 2.7 GHz, 768 MB Pavillion notebook. I just wish I had a second USB port so I could access external storage while online (external hdd doesn't have external power, so splitting it with a hub doesn't get enough power).

ttuuxxx

#42 Post by ttuuxxx »

MattGSX wrote:Computer:

IBM Thinkpad 600X
CPU: Pentium III 500 MHz
RAM: 310 MB
Ethernet: None
Modem: PCI-modem (runs)
Wireless: Nintendo Wi-Fi Adapter (runs flawlessly through rt2750 module, but scan is a bit weak).
video: onboard (runs xorg well, runs xvessa okay)
sound: onboard (sounds fine).
Display: 1200x768 works fine.

Puppy:
I'm running Dingo, but I switched to icewm (xwin icewm), and I commented out all references to rox in the startup script to lower overhead. Puppy has made this old workhorse run faster than my Celeron-D 2.7 GHz, 768 MB Pavillion notebook. I just wish I had a second USB port so I could access external storage while online (external hdd doesn't have external power, so splitting it with a hub doesn't get enough power).
You can buy powered usb hubs that solve that problem, They are hard to find, not like the newer ones for usb2. But these come with a power adapter.
look on ebay you might find one.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nitehawk

#43 Post by nitehawk »

PIII 384 933mhz 160Ghd & 40Ghd (Intel Vectra with odds n' ends of different stuff put together)........

Win2k Pro & PClinuxOS on 160G....Puppy4 on the 40G

(my PIII 256 500mhz 8Ghd just gave up the ghost! )
Oh well,...I'll be snooping around the thrift stores for another one for Puppy 3.01,..................

Graham72

#44 Post by Graham72 »

DELL INspiron 1720 inc Vista Home Premium Edition
3 gig ram
2.4ghz
2 x 250 gig HDD
Dell 1907FPV secondary monitor

Running Puppy 4 under microsoft virtual PC 2007 6.0.156.0 ;) , thanks to the excellent tutorial here, that got the mouse running and accessing the 'real' HDD's -= thanks so much!

wayneh07

#45 Post by wayneh07 »

Toshiba Satellite 2210CDT
Celeron 500mb
61mb Ram
3.1gb HDD
Puppy Linux 4

Amazingly this once useless (for anything newer than win98) machine is now being used by a complete newbie (my wifes uncle) with very good results.
Basically he'd had a little experience of windoze xp, but not a lot, so the opportunity to get his old lappy up and running with Puppy 4 was too good to pass up.

karakal

My system

#46 Post by karakal »

I am running Puppy on an ICop Vega something Touchpanel-PC.

http://www.icop.com.tw/products_detail. ... ductID=273

VIA C3 Processor 533MHz
Via Eden Platform
256MB SDRAM
500MB DOM

Everythings working very fine (except ACPI and suspending...)
I am very impressed by how easy everything was to setup (including the touchpanel)...

I am researching this hardware and Puppy for use in a commercial product.. if it happens to be successful we will definitely channel some of our earned money back into Puppy...

benali72

My Puppy Boxes

#47 Post by benali72 »

Great thread, it's fun to read about what others are running Puppy on.

I've got Ubuntu and Puppy dual-booted on my faster machines, with Puppy alone running on my older machines.

Dingo saved my old Pentium IIs... I've got a 266 mhz and a 333 mhz, both topped out with 256 M memory. Puppy really flies on these old boxes and makes them useful.

Their processors are too slow for video (no DVD movies or YouTube) but they do almost everything else great due to Dingo including web surfing, office work, email, web radio, etc. I often web-surf or work on two machines at once, the new machine and its screen to my left, and the older one to the right.

Because of Puppy and LInux, I haven't bought a new computer in years. Don't think I'll have to soon either. Thank you, Puppy!

cb88

#48 Post by cb88 »

@benaili72 if you could dig an nvidia geforce2 or higher video card out of a dumpster or something you might could get it to play video... i know my laptop with only 64mb ram could almost play video and it only had a wimpy 2d accelrator

oh and i forgot the names....

Vectorsigma ...always the name of my fastest desktop actually have little use for it lately since the modem sucks pretty much just use it for watching DVDs we the cousins are over

Vectorgamma ..the dual tyan 300mhz each 512mb 10gb for OS and 40GB for T2/puppy compile environment

falcon ...300mhz 64mb laptop currently in brazil had puppy and a half corrupted win 98 last i saw it over a year ago

I i get a pandora not shure what to name it.... Vectoralpha?

Note: Vectorsigma was the computer using to give sentience to the transformers autobots decepticons etc....
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Keef

#49 Post by Keef »

My current project is MeanPup running on a Compaq Armada 3500.

Bought cheaply with no HDD or CDrom. Managed to get an external floppy drive soon after.
300 Mhz
192mb ram
Xorg works, but I use Xvesa at 1042x768

Booting off a 1GB stick with the help of WakePup. Tried a CF card with an
IDE adapter, but no luck. Was hoping it would boot off this to save plugging the floppy in. (The adapter nearly caught fire at one point, but thats another story - all parts still working though amazingly).
I use dwm as the window manager, and renamed the devx_214.sfs to 202 so I can mindlessly compile pointless progs I come across.
It's got no modem or ethernet ports, but I 'borrowed' a Lindy USB docking station from work, and the ethernet socket will connect up to the internet.

Also use my main PC (Socket 754, AMD 2800 mobile, 765MB, 80Gig HD, FX5200) Shared with my wife, so XP is main OS, but its got a frugal installs of Muppy, 214R, MeanPup, and sometimes the latest alpha...

[edit] Replaced the CF-IDE adaptor and got the 3500 booting a frugal install of MeanPup. Got plenty of space on the 4gb CF card, so have got extra partitions for data storage, and other installs (I've now added Grub) - currently dyne-bolic, (runs quite well, probably quicker than Slitaz, which I've tried). Might try a 4 series on the spare partition.
Note - also tried a full install to the CF card, but this was slooow.
Forget the Lindy - got a new PCMCIA ethernet card from PC World for 97p!!!
Last edited by Keef on Tue 28 Oct 2008, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

quietcat

my pup

#50 Post by quietcat »

Panasonic Toughbook 71
128 meg memory
6 gig HD
a cheapo wifi card

total investment... 60 bucks

puppy 4.01 with wine..

smooooooooothhhhhh

Legace

Amilo M 7400 and DIY

#51 Post by Legace »

(Tested on Puppy Dingo 4.0)

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 7400
256MB RAM, 1.4GHz Intel Centrino

Puppy works fine, haven't tested the default wireless device as its broken.
The laptop doesn't support booting from USB disks/drives, but thats not a issue with Puppy.

------

DIY machine
2048MB RAM, 3GHz Intel Pentium 4, MSI 865-PE motherboard, ATi Radeon 9600

Everything works fine. No problem what so ever.

mrreality13

#52 Post by mrreality13 »

Hi All
I just gave birth to my first puppy and its on a ;

Asus a7nx8 rev 1.04(also have a deluxe running ubuntu)
amd 2000+@1.6(non barton)(cant oc due to poor cooling)
2x512 pc 3200
nvidia 4xagp 5500 /w 64 megs
100 gig hd

ok now this one has 4.1

ecs(crap) mb w/sempy 3300+,512 ram,ati 9250_ 128meg
will be using this to test other puplet's

ok now i have pup 4.1 on one of my main rigs,
amd 64 3200+
2 gigs pc 3200
2x250 gig hd's
1x160 gig with pup on it
Nvidia fx5500 256 meg
Last edited by mrreality13 on Thu 16 Oct 2008, 22:11, edited 2 times in total.

brymway

#53 Post by brymway »

I'm still running on my fast machine with four partitions. One for storage, one for pupsave files, one for swap and one for experimenting. I run Dingo 4 from a live cd and save my file to hard drive. It boots very fast. I am keeping up with the 4 series updates. I use 1024 x 768 xorg with no problems.

I have put the word out to people who are afraid to throw away computers that I'll take them. I'm always looking for a computer to test puppy on.
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

recycler

very quiet puppy computer

#54 Post by recycler »

Muppy live 084 (800MB version) on a 2 gig flash drive. No swap. 749 mb of ram, 2gig processor. A second 1 gig flash drive for music and data. Cost - 2 flash drives.

roger_1960

Hardware That Works

#55 Post by roger_1960 »

Hi

I'm new to puppy but have happily used Ubuntu in various guises for about 1 year. Just thought I should let you know that Puppy 4.1 Retro works without problem on the following laptops:

Toshiba S1800-514 Celeron
Acer Aspire 1353LC (French) AMD Athlon XP-M VIA Unichrome S3 graphics
Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi AMD Turion 64 MK36 ATI Radeon Xpress1100 graphics

Everything seems to work - including Belkin Ralink RT2500 PCIMIA wireless cards in the first 2, Atheros built in wifi in the last.

Great Distro!

DaveS

#56 Post by DaveS »

Acer Extensa 4620Z laptop 80GIG HD 1GIG ram. Bought it bargain when they went discontinued. Boot Puppy 4.1 from persistant bootable 4GIG USB install. Dont use the HD. HD has Ubuntu 8.04.
Puppy recognises my wifi card, Ubuntu cant without work. Puppy mounts my Walkman, Ubuntu cant without hacking HAL. Puppy has a little trouble with dates/timezones though.
Big thanks to the Puppy developers. Special mention for Puppy Podcast Grabber, and Seamonkey which I find way snappier than Firefox, but the fonts dont display especially well.
Print via wifi to an HP Photosmart C4380 wifi printer which Puppy has no problem with.
Used a Puppy dual boot from the hard drive for a while, but there was no speed advantage over the USB system, so now only use the USB.

issarad

#57 Post by issarad »

I use Live CD on most of my pc's for various reasons, but my dedicated Puppy PC is:

Dell Dimension L466cx
466mhz Celeron
512mb pc-100 ram (maxxed)
20gb hard drive
24/10/40 Plexwriter CD-RW
250mb Zip Drive
8mb i810 integrated video
10/100 network (wired)
2x 1.0 USB ports (motherboard)
4x 2.0 USB ports (add-in card)
15" KDS Radius LCD monitor
TeenPup 2008

Wonderful little machine (it's a very small form factor tower case) that takes up very little deskspace with the micro keyboard I recently picked up for it.

postrodent

what a cute puppy

#58 Post by postrodent »

My boss was getting rid of two Latitude LS notebooks from 2000 or so. I brought both home, and decided to install Linux, in hopes of learning about the OS and getting a functioning net machine out of the deal. They came with 6gb drives; I bought a 20gb disk for one so I could carry around some music, and upgraded the ram as well.

And so began the search for a nice lightweight Linux install:

* Kubuntu was grindingly, unusably slow.
* Damn Small Linux was damn unfriendly, not the thing for a Linux noob like me. Getting ndiswrapper to work with my PCMCIA wireless card was a nightmare. Gave up.
* Puppy Linux -- hey, it works great! Look at all this cool stuff it comes with! Look how nicely it holds my hand through the install process!

We have a winner.

There were one or two hinks in installation, mostly due to my own ignorance and failure to properly RTFM. However, it struck me that Puppy had pretty great help files and community support. In general, I'm finding the transition from XP to Puppy very pleasant and educational, and the setup process infinitely less painful than the previous two. I'm very grateful to the Puppy developers and community who made this possible. Thanks very much.

The systems:
Single OS: Frugal install of Puppy 4.10 to HDD.
800x600 LCD screens.
PIII-400mhz CPU.
IDE internal drives (20gb and 6gb.)
256mb of ram in one, 64mb in the other (they both run fine, although the first one is of course a bit peppier.)
RTL-8180 network card in one (Puppy autodetected it!)
Built-in touchpad (Puppy autodetected it.)
Read-only external CD-drive on proprietary port (ugh. But Puppy installed from it.)
One USB-1 port.
Onboard Winmodem.
Onboard Ethernet card.
Onboard sound (Puppy barks through it.)

Kevbert

#59 Post by Kevbert »

Using a 4Gb pen drive on an Acer Travelmate 803LCi with Intel PCMCIA 2200 wireless, ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 Video, 1.75Gb RAM. Puppy 4.1 works really well. Have yet to try bluetooth... :D

tommy

My Puppy test PCs

#60 Post by tommy »

I try to boot off Puppy cds-usb sticks every PC I find on my way... I've tested 30 PCs up to now, and the only one that couldn't boot Puppy in X mode was a Toshiba laptop (366 MHz Celeron 64MB ram)...
My main Puppy PC:

Asus L4000L laptop
Pentium M 2.8 GHz
240 MB ram (256MB of which 16MB video shared)
No HD (well...It had one with Win XP... so slooow... It booted in no less than 5 minutes!!!!! bloat bloat bloat)
Puppy 2.16, 3.01, 4.01
Blazingly fast, boots in 30 seconds, I can do everything I need. Now I'm posting this message with it.

Other PCs:
Ibm 300gl (very similar to pizzasgood's one)
Pentium II 400 MHz)
128 MB ibm ram
no HD
Wireless Intel 2011b (orinoco) pci card
Puppy 2.16 is fast, surfs the web without hassles, but no youtube video nor flash animations ( the CPU can't do the job)
Can't play DIvx files ( it hangs after 10 seconds) maybe low in ram...

Olidata Ciryx P166+ ( 133MHz)
64MB ram
no HD
not so fast, but I still use it happily with Abiword, Dillo etc.

Athlon XP2000+ (1566 MHZ)
256 MB DDR ram
80 GB HD
I've got Win2000 on it, yet Puppy boots nicely and is very responsive.

Celeron 500 MHz on crappy Intel 440LX mobo
96 MB ram
no HD
Good for surfing the web/Abiword/Gnumeric etc..

K6-333 @ 360 MHZ ( 60MHz x 6)
128 mb ram on asus TX97-E mobo
No HD
Puppy barebones 2.10
Works fine

Pentium II 450 MHz on Asus P2BF
128 MB ram
No HD
Could boot Puppy 4.01, It hanged after a while (ram incompatibility issue), it needs more tests..

Pentium III 866 MHz on crappy PCCHIPS mobo with blown capacitors and onboard sound chip blown (it's terribly hot, I think 80 °C)
128 MB ram,
No HD
When I'm lucky and the caps let it boot, it's fast.... (puppy 4.01)

Pentium I 200 MMX on Atrend ATC1000+ mobo
64 MB EDO ram
2.1 GB HD, but Puppy 2.16 runs off USB stick plugged in a self-made USB port (thanks to my soldering abilities) using Wakepup floppy.
Not so fast, but usable.

Ibm 300GL old-version, ceramic Pentium I non-mmx, 133 MHz
32 MB ibm sdram
2.4 HD splitted in 2 partitions ( 2.3 GB + 100 Mb)
Windows 98 SE
Boys, I've played with it a lot to make X work on this slow dinosaur...
Puppy Barebones could run without HD, but needed a frugal install to run applications, so I formatted the 100 MB partition as Linux Swap and installed Puppy on the other partition (the windows one)-
No problems with Onebone Puppy, I can setup ndiswrapper for a cheap Atheros wireless USB dongle and surf the web with elinks. Ndiswrapper, however, seems to need a more powerful CPU, sometimes the machine runs slow and needs to be rebooted.
I tried DamnSmallLinux, it worked, but it's so poor compared to puppy (even to Puppy Barebones version!) and ndiswrapper does not work with my Atheros dongle, so I gave up.

Pentium IV 1.4 GHz on Abit mobo
512MB Rimm dram
2 x 40 GB HD raid 0
Winblows ME + Win 2000 ( that's my father PC...)
Puppy 2.16 - 3.01 (I didn't test Puppy 4 on it yet)
Fast and can read Raid partitions ( ntfs + fat32).

Acer Travelmate 514 laptop
Celeron 466 MHz
256 MB ram
My sister's ex-pc.
Puppy worked well on it, before someone stole it...

Not to list some 15-20 other systems that I managed to run with Puppy... Sometimes I go to big electronics shops and try to boot USB-Puppy on laptops on the shelves....

In one word, Puppy is the most VERSATILE Op.system I've ever tried.