4.1 Alpha 7

Please post any bugs you have found
veronicathecow

#21 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Barry, intel d201gly2 MB frugal on SATA HDD. APIC=OFF boots fine now. Thank you.

maggotspawn

#22 Post by maggotspawn »

Puppy 4.1 Alpha7
Fixed the problem with Hotpup not mounting drives as writable as well as a problem on my laptop with choosing reboot from the menu. Cheers! (Laptop would hang at Post after reboot previously). Unfortunately now wifi and ethernet aren't deteced. Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet. Atheros AR5007EG Wireless, for which I use the madwifi-ng-r2756-eeepatch-k2.6.21.7.pet. Both devices are detected with Dingo. Probaly an easy fix. Any chance of including the madwifi patch in the future?

zigbert

#23 Post by zigbert »

gtkam crashes when trying to save images from my Canon powershot S40. Terminal just report 'segmentation fault'. I went back to Puppy 3.01, and everything worked fine.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

Tried on two more machines - working OK on Duron (had to remove and then replace USB mouse to unfreeze it . . .) - using that now . . .
However getting a kernel panic when booting from USB on an Asus Eeepc 2G - worked OK previously Alpha 6 on the Asus
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

paulh177

#25 Post by paulh177 »

Network settings still not saved from boot to boot.

My scanner still doesn't work (had to get appropriate firmware from sane.org, but nothing happens even though the xsane interface then loads)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#26 Post by Béèm »

Works on a qemu virtual machine. Host os XP SP2.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Chronis

#27 Post by Chronis »

laptop is a gateway mx3422

a7 Normal boot attempt: freezes at "Booting the Kernel" until mouse/kb/pwrbutton used enough, then "PNP BIOS Fault... Attempting Recovery," then freezes at odd places like "This script will run Xwindows" until mouse moved, sound works, it sees both Lan and wLan, it just freezes at odd times until mouse activity etc. sets it going again.

[Starting xwin using xorg (after having used vesa) just did something like: cat /tmp/oldmousedevice no such file or directory, before startin]

a7 Acpi=off boot attempt: boots normally, sound doesn't work (it only loops the first split-second of sound, continually, until AlsaWizard/gxine is broken/closed)

in a7 and a6 the "scroll wheel" area of the touchpad doesn't seem to scroll in xVesa, it just moves the mouse pointer vertically. Tapping-to-click doesn't work in xorg (not a bug perhaps,) gxine's Ctrl-F only goes to fullscreen if the window is maximized, I think it's a JWM quirk.

a6 worked well aside from an invisible pointer, once. I'm using 4.00 with the alternative kernel, it sees all except usb-audio, so far, for me. (my friend's desktop's USB-mouse is not found by any 4.00, but is found by 3.01)

Greatnessguru

Wallpaper missing again, frugal install: nothing written.

#28 Post by Greatnessguru »

Gateway 2000, 64 MB, 200 MB Linux swap, IDE HD.

Booted CD, Puppy 4.1.ALPHA.7, pfix=ram,fsck

Boot went fine except:
*** no wallpaper or icons ever appeared.
I believe this had been fixed, once upon a time???

I am composing this post from this CD boot session.

I tried a frugal install to IDE HD.
*** No "puppy4xx" directory written
and no GRUB text file written to /tmp.

Never had frugal install problems before.

I am glad SeaMonkey is at the latest version.

Thanks,
Eddie Maddox

fzsolt

xorg in 600x800 only

#29 Post by fzsolt »

I tried alpha 7 in an old machine with an intel BX based acorp board, Cel 566 (in slotket), 512 MB RAM, Matrox G200 AGP card, old Philips 107E CRT monitor. xorgwizard offered 1024x768 or even higher resolutions, but during the test and after that, X starts in 800x600 @85Hz. This seems the same in all versions of Dingo. Puppy 3.01 works well in 1024x768 75Hz on the same machine.
How Can I enter monitor frequencies manually in xorgwizard? There was an option to choose that in earlier versions, but now I can't find it.
When will we have RDP client in Dingo?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: xorg in 600x800 only

#30 Post by Béèm »

fzsolt wrote:I tried alpha 7 in an old machine with an intel BX based acorp board, Cel 566 (in slotket), 512 MB RAM, Matrox G200 AGP card, old Philips 107E CRT monitor. xorgwizard offered 1024x768 or even higher resolutions, but during the test and after that, X starts in 800x600 @85Hz. This seems the same in all versions of Dingo. Puppy 3.01 works well in 1024x768 75Hz on the same machine.
How Can I enter monitor frequencies manually in xorgwizard? There was an option to choose that in earlier versions, but now I can't find it.
When will we have RDP client in Dingo?
Settings are in xorg.conf. Maybe be you can edit it manually.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

linuxcbon

#31 Post by linuxcbon »

bootsysinit.log

ls: cannot access /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/*/modalias: No such file or directory

# asapm
asapm: open_apm_device_file: The file does not exist.
asapm: Neither ACPI nor APM are available!

Tui

Pfind 4.3

#32 Post by Tui »

I am making this post from from Alpha7.

Opening the v4.3 Pfind prog is ok but won't close with the " X "
-top right corner, but will close with the bottom right icon (don't
know what that icon is)

Other functions seem to work ok- search; advanced and configure.

I was going to upgrade my full install of Alpha6 to A7 would
there be a crash of the new ?

I also noted that A6 has for me a problem with the Pfind 4.1
in that the X close here opens with a new window instead
of closing.

Are the two problems linked ?

Tui

PaulBx1

#33 Post by PaulBx1 »

I was in pburn in the window to select an iso to burn. I double-clicked the alpha7 iso, expecting it to add the iso name to the list of things to burn. Instead, it mounted the iso! And then it told me to click on the icon to dismount; of course there was no icon...

I don't know what a double-click did in pburn in "the old days", but it's possible the puppy event thing has usurped a normal function that used to belong to applications.

zygo

#34 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Much the same as a6 re pmount, autocutsel-0.7.1-1.pet (clipboards), pupdial and puppy event manager: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=74

- pupdial
I've managed to connect. My trusty external usrobotics modem on a 9-pin serial port is not automatically detected. Is this intentional? Then with no /dev/modem, pupdial deletes any existing wvdial.conf instead of using its modem dev setting (to make the /dev/modem link) & isp settings. Anyway, probe works. Clicking its dev button (ttyS0) just gives modem not detected - this bug was in 4.0 also. Once I enter the isp settings it also needs chap-secrets & pap-secrets setting to make ppp last more than a second.

EDIT
changed: 15-pin to 9-pin.
removed: cdp doesn't work (it does if I remember to use the new drive designation: sr1)
Last edited by zygo on Tue 02 Sep 2008, 17:23, edited 2 times in total.

zigbert

#35 Post by zigbert »

PaulBx1 wrote:was in pburn in the window to select an iso to burn. I double-clicked the alpha7 iso, expecting it to add the iso name to the list of things to burn. Instead, it mounted the iso! And then it told me to click on the icon to dismount; of course there was no icon...

I don't know what a double-click did in pburn in "the old days", but it's possible the puppy event thing has usurped a normal function that used to belong to applications.
I don't think the problem is ' the puppy event thing'. The behaviour is correct, because double-click in Pburn runs action on file specified in the rox MIME db. I'll look at it....maybe I can get Pburn override MIME in case it's a *.iso.

Sigmund

John Doe

#36 Post by John Doe »

zigbert wrote:....maybe I can get Pburn override MIME in case it's a *.iso.
or consider keeping the default and adding a right click option in ROX (or the other way around)?

Pizarro

Wireless

#37 Post by Pizarro »

Dell Inspiron 2500, Philips snu5600 usb dongle. Dongle successfully used in pup 3.01 and 4.00. In 4.1alpha6 and 4.1alpha7-k2.6.25.16-compromise the dongle is detected with the correct chipset (zd1211) but when using connection wizard finds no networks. Manually entering connection details does not find a live network.

zigbert

#38 Post by zigbert »

This is strange !!!!
The CD must be ejected and reloaded before before mounting shows recent burnt datas.

In example I burn my Pburn directory to the CD already containing Pbackup directory. Here's the details:

Code: Select all

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0 2> /dev/null
# ls /mnt/sr0
pbackup
# umount /dev/sr0
#
#
# genisoimage -R -o "/tmp.iso" -C 14059,23498 -M /dev/sr0 -graft-points "pburn"="/mnt/sda6/prioritet 1/privat/prg/bash/pburn" 
# ...
# wodim -multi -tao -v  dev=/dev/sr0 "/tmp.iso"
# ...
#
#
# ls /mnt/sr0                                                               
pbackup
# umount /dev/sr0
# eject
# ls /mnt/sr0
pbackup  pburn
It's very hard for Pbackup and Pburn (and possible others) to verify burnt datas because of this.

Sigmund

PaulBx1

#39 Post by PaulBx1 »

I don't think the problem is ' the puppy event thing'. The behaviour is correct, because double-click in Pburn runs action on file specified in the rox MIME db. I'll look at it....maybe I can get Pburn override MIME in case it's a *.iso.
What I had been doing in that window, was double-clicking to get down through the filesystem hierarchy to get to the iso I wanted to burn, so I just naturally double-clicked the iso when I got there. I think it is weird that double-clicking within an application gives the same result that it gives within a rox window, as if the application does not matter at all! Oh, well, I guess I will not double-click the iso any more. :roll:

BTW, it is looking like my CD device is missing some driver or something, as reported in the pburn thread. It is this device:
Vendor_info : 'TSSTcorp'
Identification : 'CDRWDVD TSL462D '
Revision : 'DE07'

capoverde

#40 Post by capoverde »

Upgraded a 4.1.6 HD install to 4.1.7 without apparent problems.

Gxine mainly works now, but as always it's very sensitive to X server settings and hardware: depending on these and on the video format, it may work perfectly / imperfectly / not at all. After tweaking the Xorg settings for half an hour I finally got a perfect replay of a .mov file, which previously had either the lower half screen turned green, or a missing top left square -- BUT at the cost of having a defective display for the other formats (.avi, .wmv, .mpg), which before were perfect even in fullscreen! :x It seems that this happened on previous Puppies too.

BTW: not a 4.1.7 bug, but after setting a different vertical sync for Xorg I inadvertently hit the return key instead of the recommended Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
Zap! All locked up with a black screen -- and even after a cold reboot, both the USB keyboard and the USB mouse, which previously had been detected automatically and worked fine, remained dead: probably Xorg restarts with default values after hanging up.
A PS/2 keyboard was at hand and I could run the mouse/keybd wizard with it, but IMHO such a situation may discourage many a newcomer, especially if lacking a PS/2 keyboard or mouse. True, there's a warning; but remember the classic "Don't touch the red button!" warning -- possibly all trouble could be avoided just by disabling the <Return> key and replacing the OK tab with the line 'Hit Ctrl+Alt+Bcksp for OK'.

Other odd things in the appearance of drives in Pmount, in single-window mode:

Default engine Pmount:
fd0/sda1/sda3/sda4/sr0

Default engine MUT (first time):
fd0/fd0/sr0/sda1/sda3/sda4 (why does the same floppy appear twice?)

Still with MUT as default engine, after closing the window then restarting the mount utility from the desktop icon:
fd0/sr0/sda1/sda3/sda4/fd0 (same as before but with doubled-up floppy at the bottom!).

For USB drives there also seems to be a conflict between Hotplug and the drive mounter: on one test, in the menu appearing when right-clicking over any drive icon, the third line 'Unmount **** (if currently mounted)' didn't appear at all for a USB drive I had mounted with Pmount -- and I was using a HD install. On the contrary, booting from an SD card in a USB reader, it appeared regularly for that drive, though it's not unmountable.

I also copied some files to an SD card on a USB reader, and they were copied correctly despite the message saying they couldn't be copied - possibly there's been an incomplete correction of the read-only bug.