Encrypt files with bcrypt in Puppy

For discussions about security.
gliezl

Encrypt files with bcrypt in Puppy

#1 Post by gliezl »

Is there any encryption scheme for Puppy? I want to encrpyt my file called topsecret.doc and sent it via email. At the receiving end, there's also a Puppy PC that will decrpyt my secret file with a password ofcourse. Atleast using 32-128 bit encryption.

Code: Select all

e.g. 
# cipher --passwd puppy106 topsecret.doc topsecret.encypted
# decipher --passwd puppy106 topsecret.encrypted topsecret.doc
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

#2 Post by Guest »

bcrypt is easy to use

man page:
file:///usr/share/doc/bcrypt.htm

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

by the way, bcrypt is available for Win32 too
http://bcrypt.sourceforge.net/

Ted Dog

already in puppy!

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

bcrypt is already in puppy v1,06. You are good to go!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Go to the directory where your file is
right click with ROX and select Xterm here

type

# bcrypt mysecret.txt
where
mysecret.txt is the name of your secret file

You will then be prompted for an encryption key (twice - use the same one)
- if you can not tell the person or send a secure encryption key- then use a word only they would know and provide this in a seperate email

Encryption key:
Again:
a file is created called

mysecret.txt.bfe

This is encrypted. You send that.

To decrypt
use

bcrypt mysecret.txt.bfe
and put in the Encryption key when prompted

mysecret.txt is restored and readable . . .

Hey this would be a great/easy project for someone to put a front end on. Anyone up for it?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

awesome

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Very nice. Another app already in puppy getting some attention.
Verynice indeed. Maybe this is why an announcement of packages
would be nice. Especially upgrades
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

andrew_in_uk

#7 Post by andrew_in_uk »

Another thing to note about bcrypt is that is will overwrite the input file with random data, to make it unrecoverable. (The default is 3 times, but you can tell it to do more).

This seems useful in itself, because (as in other OS's) "deleting" a file will still leave it in a recoverable state. Puppy does not have the Linux "shred" utility, which is usually the way to destroy files securely.

So, to get rid of a file more securely, why not bcrypt it with a random password, let the input file be shredded, and then delete the encypted version.

Does this seem a reasonable procedure?

A

Lobster
Official Crustacean

encrypt or decrypt

#8 Post by Lobster »

Hey this would be a great/easy project for someone to put a front end on. Anyone up for it?
OK I have made a start . . .
using just two lines of code - oh OK 3 if you include the header . . .

#!/bin/sh
FILE=`Xdialog --title "Choose file to encrypt or decrypt" --fselect / 28 48 2>&1`
rxvt -e bcrypt $FILE 
Look under Dotpups and stuff for the 007 program for the installable version

PS - the shredding idea is good too "I did not eat those fish - quick destroy the evidence" :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Re: Encrypt files with bcrypt in Puppy

#9 Post by Guest »

gliezl wrote:Is there any encryption scheme for Puppy? I want to encrpyt my file called topsecret.doc and sent it via email. At the receiving end, there's also a Puppy PC that will decrpyt my secret file with a password ofcourse. Atleast using 32-128 bit encryption.

e.g. 
# cipher --passwd puppy106 topsecret.doc topsecret.encypted
# decipher --passwd puppy106 topsecret.encrypted topsecret.doc
I made a dotpup for GnuPG, which is the open source version of PGP. It's a public key encryption program, which is very good for email. If you're using Thunderbird for your email client there is a very good gui for GnuPG which installs as a plugin/extension into Thunderbird. I don't have the url handy, but you can do a search for GnuPG and get more information on it.

There isn't a parallel of latitude but thinks it would have been the equator if it had had its rights. ~ Mark Twain

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

~ John Adams

...democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. ~ -James Madison, Federalist Paper 10

Johnny Reb

#10 Post by Johnny Reb »

That last post was mine, it seems my login expired on me.

When the Founders thought of democracy, they saw democracy in the political sphere, a sphere strictly limited by the Constitution's well-defined and enumerated powers given the federal government. Substituting democratic decision-making for what should be private decision-making is nothing less than tyranny dressed up. ~ Walter E. Williams

Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic. ~ Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. ~ Robert A. Heinlein
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

#11 Post by Guest »

Just curious, PGP uses private and public keys which makes it possible to share info without have to agree on any specific code solution and the code will change according to the pivate key you uses to open your info, hope you can follow what i mean. The question here is , in wich way are bcypt unbreakable. compared to PGP.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

I think I know enough about the subject of encryption to say with confidence that nobody claims any encryption process is impossible to break, only that it would take so long that it isn't worth doing. (Unless you have an unlimited budget and nothing better to do.)