Auto DHCP not successful for Puppy 2.15CE

asdf456

Auto DHCP not successful for Puppy 2.15CE

#1 Post by asdf456 »

Desperate help needed. I am using Compaq C500/C559 laptop with Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Internet connection with Windows XP works fine.

However when using Puppy 2.15CE, the error message when I tried to use AUTO DHCP, an error message of "Network Configuration of eth0 unsuccessful". Testing of eth0 is successful. When I ping 127.0.0.1 it is successful. when pinging 192.168.1.10, it is not successful.

Anone has experience or solutions?

thanks

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

You can probably work around it by entering your network info manually using the network wizard.

I have no direct solution.

asdf456

Manual config failed as well

#3 Post by asdf456 »

Through Windows I had got the static IP and Gateway and DNS address. But when used those for Puppy, the connection still did not work.

I am trying to connect through my campus network and the administrators says that they do not entertain Linux queries.

lcpdesign

Auto DHCP not successful for Puppy 3.01 either

#4 Post by lcpdesign »

I have the same-ish problem. Puppy spots the ethernet connection (UK Virgin Media Cable Broadband modem) and says it is active but when I try to Auto DHCP, it comes back as a failure. Same happens with Knoppix as well.
This is on a Compaq Presario 1930 laptop with a Netgear FA 410TX Ntwork card.

Auto DHCP works fine on my desktop connected to the same ethernet cable. Is it something to do with Virgin's servers not responding to the laptop for some reason? (I notice their CD installation supported only XP?Vista or Mac OSX not Win98 which is on the laptop)

Any help would be appreciated. I cannot get it (laptop with Puppy/Knoppix) working at my girlfriend's flat either and she also has Virgin Cable Broadband there.

furryfriend

#5 Post by furryfriend »

Switch the broadband modem off then on, it remembers the PC Network Card, Mac address (different for each network card).

OOps didn't realise this was so old, I was researching for another topic , had the same problem. This solved it.

ignore me. 8)

jimmyhacker

#6 Post by jimmyhacker »

get puppy 4.00.In puppy 4.00 it`s easy to configure ppp-oe.