How about including Bittorrent in Puppy's Mozilla?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
klhrevolutionist

How about including Bittorrent in Puppy's Mozilla?

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Flash if you got a better headline please do.

GuestToo has mentioned before that opera downloads a torrent just as it would any other file. And G2 has made commandline torrent dotpups. Then why have we not got mozilla setup to download torrent files using one of those pups, without user interaction of course ? Seems feasible & sounds like something puppy would be equipped with/for. Anybody else think that this is a good idea ?

I have come across projects that were trying to do this & it seems like they are dead or no progress has been made ? But puppy should be able to....
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

it's very easy to setup your browser to automatically download the torrent file and run it with a torrent client

the main problem with torrent clients is that most of them need to be configured before they will work ... they usually need at least 1 incoming port to be open ... if you have a router or hardware firewall, you need to forward that port to your machine

there are ways around having to setup incoming ports ... for example http://dijjer.org/ will automatically make passive connections if you don't have any open ports available for incoming traffic

but most p2p programs still require configuring before they will work

i am not sure, but i don't think i had to configure anything when i tried bit torrent in Opera ... it just seemed to work

klhrevolutionist

end-user

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Well G2 it looks as if this is not a popular idea, but maybe you can write up a good detailed how-to ? Of course using your ctorrent dotpup. This would prove good for myself, as azureus is a hog. Please and thank you.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

here's a simple demo - a program to download/upload (share) the Puppy Mozilla 1.0.6 iso using ctorrent

copy the script where ever you want to download the iso and click the script

the trouble is, if you don't have any ports open in the default range 2106-2706 (TCP), it won't work

you can change the port it uses by editing the script

also, if you have a high-speed connection, it will download rather slowly unless you edit the script to configure the bandwidth option -b

if ctorrent could automatically find and use any available outgoing port using some sort of passive connection, and if it could automatically set maximum bandwidth so it wouldn't hog your bandwidth, this program would not need configuring ... you could just click it to automatically download the Puppy iso using bit torrent ... but it doesn't (it could ... but it doesn't) ... that's the trouble

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

Dijjer, for example, is a simple way to download using p2p to share bandwidth

it's just 1 file (dijjer.jar) ... if you have java installed and setup correctly, you just click dijjer.jar to run the dijjer program (in the background, like a driver)

then, to download the Puppy iso using Dijjer, you would just click here

Dijjer is supposed to be able to automatically connect without needing to configure ports

so basically, you click the link, and download the file just like you would download any file ... except it automatically shares your bandwidth (like bit torrent does)

klhrevolutionist

dijjer

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

But dijjer is not commonly used, I have never even come across file that uses
dijjer tech.

So if we take ctorrent. And make it apart of puppy, the only thing a pup would have to do is to forward the port. Then when this pup is surfing and sees a torrent file they would like, they download and ctorrent automagically starts downloading the file. As puppy's mozilla is setup to open pdf files with ghopstview, zip,tar.gz with guitar. And so it would open a torrent with ctorrent a minimal torrent program. I have tried to implement this. But at no luck, not sure if it needs compiled into mozilla or not ? If so can we get someone to do this ?

Puppy is capable, and hopefully we can make it more so.

User = forward port, and where the files download to. Nothing more, nothing less.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

But dijjer is not commonly used, I have never even come across file that uses
dijjer tech
dijjer can be used instantly with any file on any server ... just put http://www.dijjer.org/get/ in front of the link
But at no luck, not sure if it needs compiled into mozilla or not ?
i think you just have to set Mozilla/Firefox/Opera to automatically open .torrent files with, for example, rox, and set the rox Run Action to open .torrent files with your ctorrent script