Device is full message when trying to install a program....

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
teecee

Device is full message when trying to install a program....

#1 Post by teecee »

hi, i have the multi session cd in and installed a couple of programs, i downloaded limewire and it told me i need the latest JRE from sun, i went to that website, and attempted to download it, but no matter where i try to save it, im getting the error message that the

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

what device are we referring to here?
i don't know ... where are you trying to download it to? ... the jre installer is about 16 megs, if i remember right ... when installed, the Java re is about 84 megs ... i think if you are running a multi-session cd, absolutely everything is in ram ... and large files will be moved to an archive folder on the cd, and the java runtime file is maybe 60 megs, so it will not work unless you mount the cd and copy or symlink to it

it will work ok if you download to your 40 gig drive and install on your 40 gig drive ... but it will not be on your cd ... you could tar it and save it to the cd, and untar it if you run the cd on another machine ... but this is not done automatically

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I'm not certain of this but I think multisession Puppy uses swap memory if it finds it on a hard drive when it boots. If no swap memory is available, which should be your case since if I understand correctly you have only XP on your computer, then Puppy can operate only in RAM. How much RAM have you?

teecee

#4 Post by teecee »

Flash wrote:I'm not certain of this but I think multisession Puppy uses swap memory if it finds it on a hard drive when it boots. If no swap memory is available, which should be your case since if I understand correctly you have only XP on your computer, then Puppy can operate only in RAM. How much RAM have you?
i have 256 megs of ram....and now, another issue has surfaced....at one point after booting up the multi session, i was working on some different programs.....the pup froze up, completely, couldnt open the cd drive, couldnt ctrl alt del, the mouse froze....i let it sit a bit, but no response, i had to just power down my laptop....

NOW, When i try to boot normally, just to get to my normal windows, it errors out and tells me to put in whatever media i use to boot with and press any key.....

i rebooted again, and pressed the delete key to get to the bios setup and it is telling me that it cant detect the primary master IDE drive...i reboot again, get the same error, i insert the puppy ms cd and it brings me up to puppy, loads normal stuff into the ram, so it is using the c drive, but when i try to check disks, to mount them, it only shows the cd drive, no main hd.....

so, any ideas what happened???

thanx

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i insert the puppy ms cd and it brings me up to puppy, loads normal stuff into the ram, so it is using the c drive
if you are running a multi-session Puppy, it should not be touching the hard drive at all, unless you explicitly mount it ... the stuff it's loading into ram is from the cd (that's the whole point of multi-session Puppy)

it sounds like it might be a hardware problem ... maybe the ide controller on the mother-board, or maybe the hard drive

your other problem was simply that you did not have enough ram to do what you wanted to do

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

It sounds like some sort of hardware failure. If that's what it turns out to be, you'd certainly be forgiven for suspecting Puppy caused it. Anything is possible, but it was most likely a random failure that occurred while you happened to be running multisession Puppy. I can't remember anyone else reporting anything like what happened to you. Do you know what motherboard and chipset is in your computer?

The Ultimate Boot CD is free to download. It has utilities for testing hard drives.