Puppy 4.1beta (2.6.25.16 kernel)

Please post any bugs you have found
linuxcbon

Puppy 4.1beta (2.6.25.16 kernel)

#1 Post by linuxcbon »

This is the 'standard' Puppy, version 4.1beta with 2.6.25.16 kernel. Updated release notes are in the live-CD. Get it from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -4.1-beta/

Note, due to the roll-back of ffmpeg and xine-lib, the devx_408.sfs is different from devx_407.sfs.

If you have tested 4.1retro-beta, beware that Puppy will have copied pup_408.sfs to the hard drive (even if you declined when asked about that at shutdown), so you have to delete that file first -- otherwise you'll get a kernel panic.

Blog entry : http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00367

YOU CAN SUBMIT FOUND BUGS AND FEEDBACKS HERE :arrow:

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

For those that have trouble with Ibiblio here are a few other links.
Florida server
http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux ... -4.1-beta/
Australian server
http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... -4.1-beta/

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

Caneri wrote:For those that have trouble with Ibiblio here are a few other links.
Florida server
http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux ... -4.1-beta/
Australian server
http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... -4.1-beta/

Best,
Eric
Thanks Eric. I downloaded from Internode and it very fast especially if you are in Australia. It only took about two minutes.

BarryK if you see this, 408 works fine with my keyboard. It does not have the same problem of not recognising the keyboard as 406 & 407 did. I haven't done much testing yet but so far no problems.

Works with K2.6.21.7
Does not work with K2.6.25.16

Smokey
Last edited by smokey01 on Fri 12 Sep 2008, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgR

MSI WIND no WLAN

#4 Post by GeorgR »

MSI Wind U100 Bios 1.07:

Booting, XORG 1024*600 and Audio running without problems.
But WLAN Chip RTL8187Se is not recognized.

After installing driver with ndiswrapper access points were recognized when scanning network. Unable to establish connection. DHCP running without success.

dogone

Background candidates

#5 Post by dogone »

nic2109 has directed our attention to this site in search of possible 4.1 backgrounds. There's plenty of high quality stuff here.

http://www.vladstudio.com/wallpaper/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

For any problems with the Network Wizard, kindly post to Dougal's forum thread here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31522

Supply as much information as possible. We especially need to know if your network interface did work on an earlier Puppy. What driver is loading, what choices are you getting in the Wizard, what error messages.

You might also want to look in /tmp/bootsysinit.log and /var/log/messages -- see if there is any error message that might be appropriate.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Fishy

#7 Post by Fishy »

Pburn locks up when trying to burn an audio CD. I have to control-alt-delete to reset.
I have one usb optical dvd drive for reading and burning, Set-up drives only shows cdrom reader (dev/sro) and default burner (/dev/sro). When dvd reader is chosen (/dev/sro) it is not retained after the wizard is closed.

I did not have this problem with alpha 6 & 7.

Pmusic seems to want to continue playing after shutting it down.

I don't know what info would be needed to trouble shoot these issues.

All other aspects of beta1 seem to be working. :D

Full install on a freshly formatted ext2 partition with only small windows and a swap partitions.

Asus P5K
Pentium dual core

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

Deleted SFS as recommended in Barrys blog entry
I found a [[NRI or MRI error message]] when it got to keyboard selection
However it offered to continue . . .
The desktop appeared but keyboard and mouse locked - back to retro version beta for me which is working OK
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zigbert

#9 Post by zigbert »

zigbert wrote:This is strange !!!!
The CD must be ejected and reloaded before before mounting shows recent burnt datas.

In example I burn my Pburn directory to the CD already containing Pbackup directory. Here's the details:
:
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0 2> /dev/null
# ls /mnt/sr0
pbackup
# umount /dev/sr0
#
#
# genisoimage -R -o "/tmp.iso" -C 14059,23498 -M /dev/sr0 -graft-points "pburn"="/mnt/sda6/prioritet 1/privat/prg/bash/pburn"
# ...
# wodim -multi -tao -v dev=/dev/sr0 "/tmp.iso"
# ...
#
#
# ls /mnt/sr0
pbackup
# umount /dev/sr0
# eject
# ls /mnt/sr0
pbackup pburn
It's very hard for Pbackup and Pburn (and possible others) to verify burnt datas because of this.
The bug is still around.
It would be handy to know if this is supposed to be fixed before final.
If not, I must rewrite Pbackup and Pburn to avoid this issue.

Sigmund

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

Never liked PMount, but its behaviour has become really weird in the last few iterations. Now, when mounting the liveCD, with as much as 384Mb main memory, then unmounting it again, the tray is ejected and immediately re-closes. If 384Mb is insufficient for a compact distro then there really isn't much hope? If this happens with 64Mb, fair enough.

GeorgR

Clocksource tsc unstable

#11 Post by GeorgR »

MSI Wind U100 Bios 1.07:

"Clocksource tsc unstable"
Allways a constant shift of 8 hour forward and then backward during boot up.

var/log/messages:

Sep 13 09:18:34 (none) syslog.info syslogd exiting
*** next line: first 8 hour time shift:
Sep 13 17:19:31 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.8.2
Sep 13 17:19:35 ndiswrapper version 1.53 loaded (smp=no, preempt=no)
Sep 13 17:19:35 ndiswrapper: driver net8187se (Realtek,07/10/2008,5.9067.0710.2008) loaded
Sep 13 17:19:35 ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
Sep 13 17:19:35 PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:02:00.0 to 64
*** next line: second 8 hour time shift:
Sep 13 09:19:36 ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
Sep 13 09:19:36 login[4054]: root login on 'tty1'
Sep 13 09:19:36 wlan0: ethernet device 00:1d:92:c9:ba:26 using NDIS driver: net8187se, version: 0x500a5, NDIS version: 0x500, vendor: 'Realtek RTL8185 Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI NIC ', 10EC:8199.5.conf
Sep 13 09:19:36 wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
Sep 13 09:19:36 usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
Sep 13 09:19:37 Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -194211843 ns)
Sep 13 09:19:40 dhcpcd[4353]: wlan0: dhcpcd not running
Sep 13 09:19:47 dhcpcd[4485]: wlan0: dhcpcd not running

It is not a question of ndisrapper, because whithout ndiswrapper it happens also in the same booting phase.
And it is not random: every boot, same boot phase and always 8 hours timeshift forward and then backward....

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

I found a [[NRI or MRI error message]] when it got to keyboard selection
More on this intermittent keyboard mouse problem.
I had suspected the graphic card. Sage kindly sent me a bog standard card - same problem. So not the graphics card - back to the kernel as culprit theory (retro works)

A different message came up when trying to select the locale (not every time)
Bug: recent printk recursion!
this is a kernel test from what little I could understand

By plugging in a USB mouse I can get a 'jerking' sort of usage
But the keyboard is frozen
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zigbert

#13 Post by zigbert »

rox - open with - mtpaint

Symlink points to /usr/local/bin/mtpaint while the correct is /usr/bin/mtpaint

zigbert

#14 Post by zigbert »

I'm sitting here, working on the next major release of Pburn, and yet another time, I have trouble with discs that needs to be reloaded before the status changes. Now it is a new feature that blanks disc if needed during media check. But since Puppy won't detect that the disc is recent blanked, Pburn builds wrong burning command.

I really hope that this will be solved for the final release.
Sigmund

qasar.es

#15 Post by qasar.es »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=30

I found that if there is an SD card in the slot, booting 4.07 get stuck at "loading kernel...keyboard". If there is no SD card plugged in, booting is fine.

My work around is to temporary pull the card out before I boot, and reinsert after booting is completed.
The same happens in the Acer Aspire One with the beta version.

capoverde

#16 Post by capoverde »

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by capoverde on Sat 13 Sep 2008, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

capoverde

#17 Post by capoverde »

Puppy 4.1Beta/2.16.25 HD install, updated from 4.1.7Alpha; Biostar M7VIW MoBo with Athlon XP1800, 256MB RAM.

No apparent problems during update; X server setting not remembered - after setting it up again, the previous background was recalled correctly; wallpaper setter from Desktop menu works.

Connection config was not remembered, had to be set up again.

Pmount kept the previosly set preferences (single window, PMount); there's no CD-ROM drive, although its icon appears on the desktop. (No CD in drive.)
Setting MUT as default engine for Pmount, the CD drive comes up but the floppy appears twice, like in 4.1.7Alpha; putting a CD in the drive and mounting it, the device order in Pmount's window (with MUT) changes. By unmounting the CD drive, the CD is ejected and the desktop icon disappears, and reappears a while after the CD is reinserted, superimposed to the Floppy drive icon.

The tray's loudspeaker icon now appears regularly (it wasn't there with 4.1.7Alpha HD install and was there booting from CD), but
the volume control on the tray doesn't work - this must be a hardware-dependent problem (VIA1612A audio chip), happened before.
It works in sGmixer but not from the "Volume" slider: there are Pcm and Pcm2, which both work, the first moving in parallel with GXine's volume control.

Can't get Pmusic to work anymore! All other music players work OK (wavplay, mhWaveEdit, Gxine, as well as Audacity, Timidity and MuseScore which had been installed in Alpha7).

prehistoric

looks good

#18 Post by prehistoric »

Now on Dell Latitude D600 (1.4 GHz 1 GB, no hard disk) looks good all around. No problem with power off on this machine.

eprv

test

#19 Post by eprv »

Same as 408 retro, no problems besides the Abiword spell check.
Pmount is working, so indeed it was the flash drive problem that Barry detected correctly, thanks for that Barry.
Great selection of programs, I think 4.1 is the finest Puppy so far.

PaulBx1

#20 Post by PaulBx1 »

I wanted to use the universal installer to generate a bootable usb flash drive, as the nearest blank CD is about 15 miles away. I had the beta1 iso already downloaded. I used this howto:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 53&t=28913
...to extract the iso. I then booted my alpha7 CD and ran that universal installer (I doubt it's changed for beta1), and all was going well until I ran into this sanity check:

"Oh dear, a "sanity check" has failed. This file: /mnt/sda3/junk/pup_407.sfs does not exist."

In other words, the universal installer assumes you want to install the same puppy version as it is running under. This is not really a good assumption for cases like mine, and unecessarily restrictive.

I suppose I can use the UI to install 407, and then copy the 408 files over it, but it would be better if the UI handled this, or at least asked whether I wanted to proceed regardless.

It would also be nice if the UI could do an iso extraction by itself. I guess that screen that asks for "CD" or "DIRECTORY" should have a third choice, "DIRECTORY OF ISO", since "DIRECTORY" assumes already-extracted files.

One other small point, the UI refers to "pupsave.3fs"; "pupsave file" might be less confusing to newbies who don't know about our back-and-forth between .3fs and .2fs.