aTunes Music Manager might be of interest? Java Based

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
john biles

aTunes Music Manager might be of interest? Java Based

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello everyone,
If your looking for something like Amarok take a look at www.atunes.org
Requires java, Mplayer and some audio format bin dependencies.

See Screenshot
Attachments
aTunes1.5.0.jpg
(55.2 KiB) Downloaded 1385 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

zther

#2 Post by zther »

hello john if you have instaled it please just tellme HOW
cuz i have tried like 200 times and never made it
tellme step by step how to install and what i have to install first im very new so if you could fully explain

trapster

#3 Post by trapster »

aTunes is a sweet looking but rather large music player / organizer.
It is more or less a self contained program that does not need compiling.
A working java is required.
Required also is mplayer, cdda2wav. For ripping, lame, flac or oggenc must be installed.

Download the .tar.gz file and expand it somewhere.
I have a frugal install so I save and expand it outside of my pup_save file.
One expanded go to the aTunes directory and change permissions on the aTunes.sh file.
All you need to do to start it is click on the aTunes.sh file.

NOTE: java -jar aTunes.jar does not work for me.

Playing a radio station (a choice of about 50 that comes with it) will bring up lyrics and album cover plus other info.
It is really quite nice.

Maybe a .pet when I find time.

Download Here
File size is 19mb, 57mb expanded though i did find a 16mb windows folder that I deleted without any consequences. There might be more not needed to delete.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

I did some house cleaning of some "unneeded" files.
Here is a .pet file for aTunes_1.10.0
Size: 9.7mb
expanded: 12mb

I removed the 23 mb javadoc directory from the pet. It seems to have a lot of info in .html format. They do not seem to be "help" files and I saw no negative effects on the program.

If you want to add the javadoc files, download them Here.
Size: 960kb
Expanded: 23mb !

It will create a menu entry under Multimedia. It can be started with "aTunes" in a console.

Required: See post above
trapster
Maine, USA

ttuuxxx

#5 Post by ttuuxxx »

trapster wrote:I did some house cleaning of some "unneeded" files.
Here is a .pet file for aTunes_1.10.0
Size: 9.7mb
expanded: 12mb

I removed the 23 mb javadoc directory from the pet. It seems to have a lot of info in .html format. They do not seem to be "help" files and I saw no negative effects on the program.

If you want to add the javadoc files, download them Here.
Size: 960kb
Expanded: 23mb !

It will create a menu entry under Multimedia. It can be started with "aTunes" in a console.

Required: See post above
Nice job on removing all the unwanted Junk Trapster:)
keepup the good work :wink:
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ol_smokey

#6 Post by ol_smokey »

Hi Guys,

Running NOP 4.00 Installed and tried to run from terminal and got the following error:

aTunes.sh: line 26: java: command not found

Am I missing a symlink or something?

Regards

ol'Smokey

PS. Why can't I stop messing about with music players? Even when I've got WxMusic working just fine!

trapster

#7 Post by trapster »

java is required.
trapster
Maine, USA

CDR

Can't Import CD

#8 Post by CDR »

Installed aTunes. Thought it was going to be just the puppy replacement for my wife's other OS music manager. Starts out great after installing firefox with flash and java from ttuuxxx. Everything looks fine. Pop in a CD, hit import and... message saying no cd found! Happens over and over again. This is a 4.2 frugal install. Any thoughts?

playdayz

#9 Post by playdayz »

I installed it just now to see about the cd. Like you, I was seeing Wow! It looked great. Fresh and clean and full-featured. BTW, that full-featured is important IMO. Look at the Additional Software Messages: Amarok, aTunes, Songbird... I think puppy users are asking for a good full featured music manager--which is one of the big apps on most people's computers. People expect a good music manager I would say. So maybe an interest group could organize itself to investigate these programs and find one that works well in Puppy and then we could all test it and have it ready for a new edition of Puppy.

Oh Yeah, aTunes looked great until I clicked Import CD. CD Not Found. I went to Device and Selected /mnt/sr0 for my cd, but no help there. And so I went to Preferences then everything stopped. aTunes froze that is. I cleaned up everything eventually

I also installed Trapster's original and the same thing happened. I had run it from a terminal and it left these messages
les.search.searchableobjects.DeviceSearchableObject finished

Code: Select all

INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] Scanning bus using icedax
ERROR   [CDDA2WAV    ] --> Cdda2wav.doScanBus [3] Process returned code 139
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] Found 0 devices with --device method
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] Found 1 devices with scanbus method
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] Getting cd information...
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] Trying to read cdda2wav stream
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] While loop: WARNING: the deprecated pseudo SCSI syntax found as device specification.
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] While loop: Support for that may cease in the future versions of wodim. For now,
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] While loop: the device will be mapped to a block device file where possible.
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] While loop: Run "wodim --devices" for details.
INFO    [CDDA2WAV    ] Interrupt
ERROR   [RIPPER      ] --> RipperHandler$7$1.noCd [4] No cd inserted

CDR

#10 Post by CDR »

Sorry you're having the same problem as me. Only consolation- I'm not crazy. aTunes seemed great. People love to pop in a CD and have it get ripped and get all of the songs organized easily. aTunes was even supposed to do the album art thing which is a nice touch and probably not that difficult to fetch from Amazon etc. I agree a full featured music organizer is a bit of a hole in Puppy. Pmusic is fine for what it is supposed to do (especially fine at its size), but it's not a ripper.

I also posted a similar request for a DVD rip shrink tool today as I have had a similar Puppy experience with those type of programs. What I am thinking is that if Puppy has two cd rippers, pdvdrsab, pmusic, pmusic, and a a media player that will play almost any video/audio format included on almost every new release, it would seem that all of the tools are there to make a full featured media organizer. The whole might even be smaller than the sum of the parts.

I've been using Puppy for a while now, but just joined the forum after hanging around for way too long. I've got lots of ideas, but little knowledge, so I'm hesitant to speak too much and confirm my ignorance.

craigski

simple digital music organiser

#11 Post by craigski »

Thanks for your discussion of aTunes. Is there an app with fewer features but is similarly minimal and excellent like Uberview for windows?
It provides an efficient way in to the collection displaying cover art and triggers your chosen player to play it. It is minute in size but hugely effective. Such an app would be the backbone of my puppy system. Thanks, craigski

craigski

goggles music manager

#12 Post by craigski »

http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/wiki/Install

Because I am so new and so naive - Its not obvious whether or not this application will run in puppy. Its simplicity appeals to me and I am sure others.

Can any experts advise? thanks

john biles

#13 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
For above reasons with aTunes I changed over to JavaTunes which is under 350kb's installed! With KAudioCreator to rip MP3's from CD's, I can do what aTunes couldn't.

Just remember TEENpup 2009 Legacy is full of Jem's like this, your not going to discover all TEENpup has to offer in a few hours of use.

Also like aTunes you need Java 1.5 or 1.6 installed for JavaTunes to work.

See Screenshot.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

xman

#14 Post by xman »

playdayz wrote:Oh Yeah, aTunes looked great until I clicked Import CD. CD Not Found.
This problem is history. I have the same problem in Puppy 4.21, but aTunes works better in Puppy 4.30. I have Puppy 4.30-k2.6.25.16, aTunes 1.13.3 Autan and java-jre-1.6u16.

I just make a simple test using best music from Canada. I inserted Devin Townsend's Terria CD in my pc and ripped three songs from it using aTunes. I clicked 'Import CD' and ripping window appeared with all titles fetched from Amazon. I selected genre, format, quality, filename pattern, folder and clicked OK. First I ripped '01 - Olives.flac', then '07 - The Fluke.ogg', and then '05 – Canada.mp3'. Finally, I played ripped files, and enjoyed a lot. :D

trapster

#15 Post by trapster »

This is great news!!

btw...
I just make a simple test using best music from Canada. I inserted Devin Townsend's Terria CD
Isn't Rush from Canada?? :)
trapster
Maine, USA

robwoj44

#16 Post by robwoj44 »

ttuuxxx

#17 Post by ttuuxxx »

trapster wrote:This is great news!!

btw...
I just make a simple test using best music from Canada. I inserted Devin Townsend's Terria CD
Isn't Rush from Canada?? :)
Yes they Are :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

xman

#18 Post by xman »

aTunes 2.0.0 is available. Download deb package (http://www.atunes.org/?page_id=6) and install aTunes 2.0.0 by simply clicking atunes_2.0.0.deb icon. Then, choose music repository and wait until searching is over, and restart aTunes. This is the exact way I installed 2.0.0 to my Puppy 4.31. If you have old aTunes installed, use Puppy Package Manager to uninstall it and delete aTunes and .aTunes folders from root before you start installing 2.0.0.

User's manual: http://www.atunes.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... r's_manual.

Dependencies: java-jre-6u20 (http://koinunoesa.blog46.fc2.com/).

http://www.atunes.org/: "aTunes is a full-featured audio player and manager, developed in Java programming language, so it can be executed on different platforms: Windows, Linux and Unix-like systems, ... Currently plays mp3, ogg, wma, wav, flac, mp4 and radio streaming, allowing users to easily edit tags, organize music and rip Audio CDs."

Enjoy! 8)

mulluysavage

#19 Post by mulluysavage »

launched .deb and dialog said it installed, and look in the 'utility' menu. It wasn't there.

Pelo

Description Java plus aTunes 2.0.0 plus Pupjibaro wheezy

#20 Post by Pelo »

aTunes unknown at home. I will see that if pet still available
Now running Audacious from Lucid Puppy 525 (metropuppy) pet_packages-lucid/Audacious-3.0-Lucid.pet
Wonderful, aTunes is nice
Attachments
aTunes.jpg
Description Java plus aTunes 2.0.0 plus Pupjibaro wheezy = musica latina
(34.16 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Lyrics.jpg
ah ! even the Lyrics are available ! Times are not changing to the zero pleasure, Puppy still sings a song.
(74.03 KiB) Downloaded 54 times