Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
DEVELOPERS to CONTRIBUTORS (STAKEHOLDERS) :)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 9 [129 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep 2008, 08:30    Post subject:  DEVELOPERS to CONTRIBUTORS (STAKEHOLDERS) :)  

Hello Guys/Gals
Well WhoDo is the next coordinator of 4.2 and as Series 5.0 goes it might be number 6.0, Barry has used 5.0 pet in the repo for his own projects:)
I might stand up for 5.0 or 6.0 as the next coordinator, but I'm undecided at the moment. Thanks for your time.

ttuuxxx
e.png
 Description   
 Filesize   1.17 KB
 Viewed   2925 Time(s)

e.png

Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 12:41; edited 3 times in total
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep 2008, 10:59    Post subject:  

Smile

My email is
Code:
ed.jason@gmail.com

I am sure contacting you by pm, here on the forum or by psip (wot no sip number?) will be simple enough . . .

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep 2008, 18:05    Post subject:  

Come on guys , I would like to get this started, 86 views of this post so far and I've only had 1 email, and one other response on here from Lobster and he's not a Developer yet either.
We do need to have this working.
I want to use emails because well On the forum we are limited to the amount of "PM" in the inbox before its full, we wouldn't have any backups, My in box would be full like 5 times a day. Its just silly to think that this could work usings PM's.
Plus since its the developers who decide whats going to happen with future of puppy. Ummmm
Emails are great for documentation
sending out ideas - receiving vital feedback. etc
lets get with the new program guys, Its going to boil down to either puppy will progress into the future or it will fail. Right now I'm trying to organise it having a future. My hands are tied.
ttuuxxx

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep 2008, 23:36    Post subject:  

Perhaps whilst people are engaged with 4.1, you might center your attention on 3.02 which was started over a year ago. I believe you are co-developer of this? Or you might focus on 4.1 Cool

That way your confidence and enthusiasm might be proven.
We don't even know your name.

At the moment we are merely thinking about 4.2.

You are asking for others to develop? Why not as has been suggested focus on a few things (maybe from 3.02) that you can add to Puppy.

Smile

Developers are able to contact you at their convenience (not yours)
on this forum, by PM and now by email. This does not always happen by the second day . . ..

Perhaps you might start a page on the community site for 4.2 . . .

Meanwhile here are some tips on project management
http://www.dantaylor.com/books/gracian.html

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 05:43    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Perhaps whilst people are engaged with 4.1, you might center your attention on 3.02 which was started over a year ago. I believe you are co-developer of this? Or you might focus on 4.1 Cool

That way your confidence and enthusiasm might be proven.
We don't even know your name.

At the moment we are merely thinking about 4.2.

You are asking for others to develop? Why not as has been suggested focus on a few things (maybe from 3.02) that you can add to Puppy.

Smile

Developers are able to contact you at their convenience (not yours)
on this forum, by PM and now by email. This does not always happen by the second day . . ..

Perhaps you might start a page on the community site for 4.2 . . .

Meanwhile here are some tips on project management
http://www.dantaylor.com/books/gracian.html

Hi Lobster

I don't need any tips on a project Management, I have a Diploma in it.
Actually what I am trying to do is, Finding out who wants to do what, Like who's going to build the base, Not now but in the future so we have some sort of Idea of the Future for Puppy. I'm not trying to get the project actually started right at this moment, Just trying to have a layout. The clock is ticking and soon it will hit midnight.
People are wondering these questions, ever since Barry made his announcement, there really hasn't been any real straight and narrow path to follow. Everything is scattered and up in the air, I'm just trying to clean it up and get it organised. So things can run smoothly. Thats all any well run business would want a well designed Contingency plan.
In about month or less it should cracked open and implemented.

But if I listen to you, I'll be running around the last minute trying to find people/developers to offer to take task on. It wouldn't hurt them to take 2 mins and try to organise a email, So I can start to prepare notes and get ready for the future. It works this way they spend 2 mins, I add them to my email list as friends, I type out a page or 2 or ideas that i've been reading on on the forum and send them all a letter at once, not 10 PMs that I cut&cop&paste 10 times on here as a PM.
The question will be simple and straight forward with yes or no answers.
I then take all the response, add up YES VS No then release the results.
I also would ask as a questions do you want the answers to be anonymous or not.
I'm more for anonymous but its up to them, Like I said a few months back. Think-tank can ruin any company. Thats why for the individual questions.
Next once we get past that and have a clear idea of how they want the next release.
I'll release another document with Just about every job that is needed to be fulfilled to complete a release of Puppy, I'll send it out to all the developers and they can choose anything on the list they want.
Then finally we have some sort Plan laid in place.
That plan will be posted in the wiki and on here so everyone will know who's doing what.
That can be done now, And it would make the Puppy Linux Team look very Professional and Well Organised.

Like I said 2 minutes from them makes me spend hours for them, But hey instead of working on 4.02 today, I managed to release 5 pets in the software&stuff. LOL
As for 3.02 Yes tronkel and I are both heading that up s, More tronkel than myself, because he builds it, Only one can do that, I Do more things like packages, Build themes etc.
But at this point most of that is done, I could get a few more small apps, but we are trying to keep it under 100MB. That project lands 100% on tronkels time frame. Not mine.

Hope that explains it
ttuuxxx

Ps my real name is Jeff

trapster

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 10:06    Post subject:  

Quote:
Come on guys , I would like to get this started, 86 views of this post so far and I've only had 1 email, and one other response on here from Lobster and he's not a Developer yet either.

Not being a "Developer" I can look but not touch.

Smile

Please keep us posted on how YOU developers are making out with the new version.

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Puppeee4.31 + 1.0, Puppy4.10 + Lupu52
Currently using Slacko AND lupu52 w/ fluxbox
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 10:51    Post subject:  

trapster wrote:
Quote:

Not being a "Developer" I can look but not touch.

Smile

Please keep us posted on how YOU developers are making out with the new version.

No No NO
Hey trapster its not like that, Barry Always did the initial stuff himself because well, he had the credentials, He worked away in office and produced a base and developed some initial programs and did some troubleshooting and tossed some ideas around. Thats the stage pretty much what I'm looking for. Also Barry has instructed in his Blog that it will be the developers in charge of future releases. I'm only trying to go off that. thats why I'm planning on releasing results ASAP so we can have some public community input along the way. Man I'm always looking like the bad guy and I'm just trying to organise something so we aren't running around like chickens with our heads cut off the day that Barry officially steps down.
My Personal thoughts on the whole issue is to open it up completely to the community and take half of decision making away from the developers only, Like which window manager, media player, fonts, graphics, applications in general, Size, compiled as 386i or 486i, Ubuntu uses 386i, I use 386i, puppy uses 486i, my VLC release was 4 times the size of xine and ran on average 30%+ less resources out of 7 or so different user test. What does that say? Really I feel that the developers should build it, trouble shoot it/maintain , and bring new software to puppy. But the powers that be say different.
So I'm doing the next best thing, Just Organising things and know my place!.

P.s My personal thought are just that and don't quote or hang me out to dry. Shocked
ttuuxxx

HairyWill

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 11:23    Post subject:  

Oh dear the division begins.

There are no puppy developers.

Old development model.
People told Barry what worked and what didn't.
If he felt like it he included their suggestions.
For a good deal of the time he was out there investigating what ever he wanted to and looking for new stuff/ideas.

Many of the people that develop stuff for puppy release their own puplets, they don't need their enhancements to be included in main puppy. Often Barry incorporated their good ideas.

Start with clearly defined and measurable goals.
net booting
graphical desktop with zero user input
works with Pete's flaky soundcard
hotplug
persistent removable device mountpoints

You have a diploma in project management. Is that personal projects or group projects? What did it say about motivating people that are casual volunteers, you don't pay them, cannot sack them and they will do whatever the hell they please (welcome to the open source development model)?

You should have my email already. But I personally would welcome a more open method of communication. Use a forum thread or start a blog on puppylinux.org and use it like Barry did or if you really insist on email, create an open mailing list on a list server somewhere that allows anyone to subscribe.

I noticed a load of your posts from when I was on holiday are empty, what gives, did I miss something?

zigbert

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 13:22    Post subject:  

Dear Jeff

Don't rush, -we are all here. And please don't rush us either. I second Will in an open communication. All new users here should be able to scan what is happening in the development of Puppy. How can we else be introduced to NEW developers.

Please don't make a statement of what should be done. Instead put together the big bowl of ideas to improve Puppy, and encourage people to contribute. Then all can choose what we think is funny to work with. THIS funny stuff are sure not what everybody think is most important ..... But something is done.

I personally don't read all post on the forum or in Barrys blog, and I do not intend to read all post from you either. You are a very inspired man, and a man with many words, but I think you can manage to lead the project, if you just cool down a LITTLE bit.

Small steps will most often lead in the correct direction.

Best wishes
Sigmund

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 13:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
and they will do whatever the hell they please

Maybe we can issue a diploma? Smile

Jeff, the on line book is not really project management,
it is a a Jesuit book called 'The Art of Worldly Wisdom'

It has some useful tips that you might find of benefit
I agree with Sigmund.
Your enthusiasm is to be commended
but being cool is a required and acquired skill

I am wondering if completed code updates can be provided (much as is done now on the forum perhaps?) and then it is a question of someone with the inclination putting it all together?

Do we have other options?

Trobin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 14:45    Post subject:  

All I can say is good luck. It looks like you'll need it.
mysticmarks

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 14:48    Post subject: dev
Subject description: dev

ttuuxxx, i thiink if your donating the time required, the you are the right person for the job right now. Period. It's a lot of work and organization.

I agree with your statement about a better way to use existing packages from other distros. A BIG BIG script to do it right.

mysticmarks at gmail
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 15:00    Post subject:  

Ok Guys you take it as casual as you may, Just sit back and I'll be ready to lend a hand when the ball hits.
But before then, Truly My hands are open, I have one main goal and thats to get the next release organised.
Some have said I have your emails already, No that was just a pm, sorry Smile
Jeff

Last edited by ttuuxxx on Tue 16 Sep 2008, 18:13; edited 1 time in total
alienjeff

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 17:07    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
I don't need any tips on a project Management, I have a Diploma in it.

I strongly suspect you also have a diploma in Arrogance.

Know the difference between having a diploma and real world experience in project management. Take a course in interpersonal communication skills before embarking on what is presently shaping up as a shakedown cruise on the not-so-good ship Failboat.

Quote:
I have one prime directive and thats to align you all together.

I don't buy that. You plaster "by ttuuxxx" on all manner of things. Your love for Puppy Linux is surpassed by your egocentric behavior and obvious attention starvation.

Do a long and careful study of someone you supposedly admire: Barry Kauler. He's one of the most unassuming and even tempered souls I've met in my 57 years on planet Earth. Emulate Barry's demeanor before you completely alienate what limited support you do have.

Last edited by alienjeff on Tue 16 Sep 2008, 17:21; edited 1 time in total
trapster

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep 2008, 17:09    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have one prime directive and thats to align you all together.

LOL....sounds like...herding.

Seriously, do you have a rough outline of how you're going to attack this?
Will you break up the categories and have "teams" for each?
We definately have qualified individuals for each.
Networking: who?
Multimedia: who?
Booting: who?
Install Programs: who?
etc...

Members can occupy different teams.
What is it that each category needs?
What are the wants for each category?

What has been the biggest gripe for newbies on here?
Installation of programs, internet connection, .SFS files for full install? Office programs?

These are what need attention first. Make it easier for people who want to try it and use it.

Puppy does exactly what I need it to do, but obviously others have difficulties.

- just my 3 cents

p.s. - I learned a long time ago...when you're leading others, try to avoid the "I" word. Wink

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Puppeee4.31 + 1.0, Puppy4.10 + Lupu52
Currently using Slacko AND lupu52 w/ fluxbox
Page 1 of 9 [129 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: