Puppy Linux Weekly (Is puppy ready?)

Promote Puppy !
klhrevolutionist

Puppy Linux Weekly (Is puppy ready?)

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I have proposed that puppy have it's own weekly or bi-weekly news published in the universal pdf format. This would allow microsoft users who come across puppy to read up on it, as well as inform foundation member's of upcoming event's and to possibly draw funds from such a project and many other possibilities. I personally, would like to be informative about the topics that should or might draw attention. The idea of people such as rarsa, and people like him contributing some tech news would fill a page. A page containing new dotpups, with information regarding what they are used for. A page for the foundation to be able to collectivley be literally on the same page. These are all feasible options. Because we have so much information, this might be a good idea, on the other hand a bi-weekly pdf might be just as affective.
But I think rounding up what puppy brings us every week or bi-weekly
we can help the noobie or the regular because this publication will try and contain as much information and what has been going on.
Like I mentioned I don't want to drown you in my thoughts. But how many distro's actually do this ? Not many. And this would give puppy an edge as well as a re-kindle a standard that reads "Linux is informative". Especially puppy.
With people contributing what they feel would be helpful to puppy's
I will take the responsibilty of putting it all together, unless there are other's willing to help out or take the lead. Which would be really nice.
But for those interested and got ideas let me know.

And who knows maybe puppy is not ready for this yet ?
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

raffy

Ready

#2 Post by raffy »

It's ready as long as there is someone who would, as you said,
take the responsibilty of putting it all together
And cheers to you for that!

klhrevolutionist

roughdraft idea

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I have proposed that puppy have it's own weekly or bi-weekly news published in the universal pdf format. This would allow microsoft users who come across puppy to read up on it, as well as inform foundation member's of upcoming event's and to possibly draw funds from such a project and many other possibilities. I personally, would like to be informative about the topics that should or might draw attention. The idea of people such as rarsa, and people like him contributing some tech news would fill a page. A page containing new dotpups, with information regarding what they are used for. A page for the foundation to be able to collectivley be literally on the same page. These are all feasible options. Because we have so much information, this might be a good idea, on the other hand a bi-weekly pdf might be just as affective.
But I think rounding up what puppy brings us every week or bi-weekly
we can help the noobie or the regular because this publication will try and contain as much information and what has been going on.
Like I mentioned I don't want to drown you in my thoughts. But how many distro's actually do this ? Not many. And this would give puppy an edge as well as a re-kindle a standard that reads "Linux is informative". Especially puppy.
With people contributing what they feel would be helpful to puppy's
I will take the responsibilty of putting it all together, unless there are other's willing to help out or take the lead. Which would be really nice.
But for those interested and got ideas let me know.

Well This is a preview of what I have put together, for collaboration efforts your input is wanted/needed. The one thing I want to remind anybody interested. Is that I am going to hopefully get somebody to create a wikka page devoted entirely to donations and purchasing, I might have to wait on Ian
not sure ? But why I want this, is because I will insert puppy promotion pics,
advertisements to put it simple. And if you all think it is neccesary we can license it.

So download the file and rename it to roughdraft.pdf

Tell me what you think as well as suggestions, and what not.
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Sun 13 Nov 2005, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

jcoder24

#4 Post by jcoder24 »

I like what I'm seeing so far.

Good work!

aahhaaa

#5 Post by aahhaaa »

KLH- I get a corrupted or invalid notice when trying to open it :?

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's because it isn't a zip. You have to rename it to .pdf (the forum probably doesn't accept .pdf as an attachment)

Looks nice. I'm no fan of pdfs though. Microsoft folks can see html just as well as the rest of us (at least if they use a decent browser :roll: ). I find webpages easier to navigate too.
But that's just me. I can kind of see where a pdf would be nice.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

aahhaaa

#7 Post by aahhaaa »

OK- thanks guys, brain set on stun. I thought the .pdf was inside the .zip; of course I could have read KLH's post more carefully... :roll:

raffy

Banner

#8 Post by raffy »

My only suggestion is, if users are expected to print it, that a banner be used instead of a full-page logo.

Also, would the Wiki News banner be useful for this?

Thanks!

klhrevolutionist

given

#9 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Given the tools and the experience that I have. I can only say that with experience comes results. I threw this out here after contacting many foundation members, and having mixed results. But the people that know me here know I will push something if I think it is a good idea, but I know that with your responses & input. I can make a good decision.
This is just a little something I threw together. I have another, but it uses the same logo for the front page and the color scheme is about the same. I am just trying to get input and participation at this point. One person so far said I don't have time, but every now and again I can throw something your way to put in there. If only everyone could write what PizzasGood wrote, then I would start right off. Concerning printing raffy, like I said my experience with office software is zero. I grew up doing carpentry did'nt have time for toy's.
But if there are people willing to pitch in and make sure I am doing everything correctly well we would have an easier time at promoting this ole' dog. So again if there are people willing to contribute please say so, or even throw me a story, article etc. every once in a while say so.
We can get all the technical stuff sorted out after I find out if this is happening.

Nathan F

#10 Post by Nathan F »

I'm a fan of the whole idea, and encourage you to do it in pdf format. The pdf format is more likely to remain unchanged and readable then html, which is in a constant state of change. The other plus is that a pdf will display a lot closer to your original intention than html ever will. I personally hate the process of having to tweak every page to get it to display properly in ten or so different browsers, it's enough to drive someone mad. This is why we have pdf in the first place.

I'll contribute when I can and offer advice where possible. I do think Raffy has a point on the banner, so that's my first bit of advice. I'd say that unless you want to reuse the Newshound logo you probably need a new banner. The color scheme is pleasant for the most part and I see no reason to switch. I'll see what can be done with it if you want me to give it a stab.

Nathan

jcagle

#11 Post by jcagle »

Looks nice. I'm no fan of pdfs though. Microsoft folks can see html just as well as the rest of us (at least if they use a decent browser ). I find webpages easier to navigate too.
But that's just me. I can kind of see where a pdf would be nice.
I like PDFs. The files can be moved from computer to computer without worrying about what fonts are on there. They are great for sending to Kinkos for printing. And you can view files written in other programs that have been exported to PDF.

PDFs are definitely a graphic designer's friend too, I think.

But maybe it's not necessary to make a Puppy Linux weekly newsletter a PDF. Are we really going to be concerned about the portability of fonts and graphics with this? HTML may be good for the newsletter in this case.

MU

#12 Post by MU »

I personally prefer HTML (simple one, not Microsoft Excel-export).

The user can choose his own font, it is fast, it can be parsed to be converted in any format.

Don't know how flexible the PDF-converters are already concerning this.

Mark

Auda

#13 Post by Auda »

Basic Html would be my pick quite apart from anything else its an open format Yes it can be changed but is that realy important ? The ablitity to cut and paste bits of the weekly to my own private list of usefull tips on puppy linux would be nice
Auda

puppian

#14 Post by puppian »

MU wrote:... converted in any format.
Mark
http://www.tumorzentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de/index.php
Click the little pdf icon on the bottom left.

And that's done using THIS.
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

klhrevolutionist

understand

#15 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Well, I am not trying to make a newsletter, but an online puppy magazine.
Created by pups for pups. I know nothinbg of html so that is out of the question and also because of webspace. Although I would be willing to host
the html side of the project but I can't even figure out how to upload any pages or files ? So because of my lack of knowledge about html, I will continue of course with Barry's permission.
So if someone wants to mimic some html pages first where is this webspace coming from ? I will continue with pdf format.
I will however be needing someone to take over the LatestNews wikki page.
I'll help out. But I want to focus and get some good templates. So contributers needed. And about the LatestNews wikki page you will have to get approval from Lobster. Over & Out.

Long Live Puppy!!!

jcagle

#16 Post by jcagle »

I personally prefer HTML (simple one, not Microsoft Excel-export).

The user can choose his own font, it is fast, it can be parsed to be converted in any format.

Don't know how flexible the PDF-converters are already concerning this.

Mark
Well if it's going to be for print, such as a printed magazine, a magazine/newspaper ad, etc, and a graphic designer wants a certain font on there that not all computers have, PDF is the way to go.

If it's on line, I'd say HTML is the way to go.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

8)

Once you have basic information it is easy to edit and present in wiki, html or Pdf format.

I would suggest developing the existing news page into something done 4 times a month on the wiki
- people can of course edit whenever they wish
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LatestNews

I would suggest editing and including the highlights of Barrys news and info from the forum

Then when ready provide the info as you like

You will notice that abiword can output pdf but not input it
The pdf format is best suited for a Puppy instructional manual which can also be started as a wiki page and then converted to different formats including pdf

What you are proposing is providing information in a closed source format. I am sure your intention is to keep Puppy open and free :)
However it makes more sense (to my limited thinking) to provide and produce the information in an open arena and then close source (pdf it) if we so wish

4 times a month you write and say this page is available in pdf format
This way the news page and newsletter become available and partly interchangeable

Good luck however you procede

Hope that makes sense :)
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 15 Nov 2005, 09:17, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

never

#18 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Never, never. I have asked for anybody and everybody to contribute.
Send me anyting and I will put it into the publication as is with correct spelling of course, and maybe some background or stuff of that nature.
The wiki as you know Lobster is very good. And I still am messing with this openoffice. It seems easier to try and create html with OO. So I am trying
to make it as openly as possible. The only reason I want to use pdf is because I
at least have a little bit more luck with it. No one else took the intiative, and I have been thinking about how to make it more easier for people to catch up
or gain some knowledge of puppy. I understand that this idea might actually bring traffic to the wiki by pointing out things they might not otherwise have seen. As part of the foundation people, you might look for this kind of exposure. I am not the worlds best but I am charging nothing and asking for input from anybody interested. I even put that on the demo.pdf I uploaded.
Some might say html well I challenge the person's wanting html to do so.
I will follow your lead & produce a pdf if you like.

Thanks.

klhrevolutionist

more

#19 Post by klhrevolutionist »

With all that being said. A lot of mixed feelings about which format to use.
I of course am already creating some templates. For those interested the
Puppy Linux Weekly if that is the chosen name.

We will need
1. people to contribute
2. graphic artist a.k.a grafpups
3. editors.
4. a schedule
5. meeting times

I believe this will be sufficient, anyone else willing to take the lead, grab the horse by the reins and have at it.

The hierarchy is roughly as follows:

Barry K. -- ultimate control, if wanted.

Foundation -- The foundation role will be to overhead the editor-in-chief.
They will make sure that puppy is being represented correctly and that it promotes puppy in all the right ways. It also has the power to disallow any publications and dismiss of staff. With a council vote.

editor-in-chief -- over the content of the publication and manages the entire staff (this means from managing editor all the way to staff writer. this person also typically writes the editorial.

graphics editor -- graphic editor are higher level editors, but fall below the editor-in-chief and the managing editor. typically, an associate editor will be the high-ranking member in a certain area of the paper (i.e. layout), but he/she has the same "power" if you will as the editor-in-chief

features editor- will present special pages to be featured,

opinion editor - will deal with incoming contributions

This is what I believe will be needed other's with special talents are always welcome. And if other's have another heirarchy in mind please do.

aahhaaa

#20 Post by aahhaaa »

klh- all the suggestions seem to show a lot of interest and 'caring'; don't feel you are being elbowed around... :D

There are many apps online and even for Puppy that would help create either webpages or blogpages in pure drag & drop- Lycos & others make it easy.

You are talking about a considerable amount of time tho, so mebbe it would be good to focus tighter on what isn't already being done to some extent elsewhere, and who exactly it is for- newbies or old-hands? (For example, there are lots of posts about installing Puppy & its various programs, but little enough about how people are actually using them.)
Building a newsletter itself with Puppy components is one of those topics that would take you from Gimp to the new Abiword to mebbe Open Office (for pdf'ing?). Documenting Puppy in action would take us where no distro has gone before...
Also, this may sound like 'Let Mikey try it' but for myself, I'm still playing Linux catchup (and I think like a lot of others) my online time is extremely limited and dialup, so savable/printable is especially useful for me- more so than the 'feature-rich' stuff like hi-K pix & anims. There seems a narrow path for newletters there- most quickly get over-constructed, imho.