Muppy 008.4c (final release)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
recycler

#141 Post by recycler »

MU wrote:recycler, but if you have Live, then the goodies.sfs is ok for you, as it includes songbird.

Mark
True, but I will try the DVD edition too. Only 1 hour 10 minutes to go now until download is complete :) Just downloaded the goodies sfs and added it to an install of Muppy Live. Songbird is playing now and seems to be working just fine! Thanks again.

edit - Pwget stopped at 1796 M and the DVD is not bootable. Believe I need to try again.
Cause now found - ran out of space on my home partition. Curses. Too many ISOs :)

Next day - success! Just installed eng DVD version. Lots to explore. Excellent feel to the whole operating system. After a long search this is the operating system I want to use :)
Last edited by recycler on Thu 25 Sep 2008, 05:06, edited 4 times in total.
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

MU

#142 Post by MU »

recycler, great, thanks for checking that, I updated my former message about goodies.sfs :)
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#143 Post by MU »

ServicePack2 (for all versions)

ftp://ks301128.kimsufi.com/Muppy0084/fi ... vicepacks/
New:
- saving encryped savefiles now works.

- the save dialog no longer offers to create 32 MB or 64 MB savefiles.
The minimum now is 128 MB.
Smaller ones caused too much trouble.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Dingo

#144 Post by Dingo »

downloaded Muppy-Mini and burned.

thanks to MU I was able to perform various conversion tasks (pdf color spaces from RGB to GRAY using ghostscript 8.62 with this script:

Code: Select all

gs -sOutputFile=output.pdf -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sColorConversionStrategy=Gray -dProcessColorModel=/DeviceGray -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 input.pdf < /dev/null 
But I have some troubles with wireless: after loaded my XP driver for my adapter netgear WG311v3 using ndiswrapper, puppy says me it is unable to find a network! it's strange because same procedure works very fine in other pupplets I have tried. muppy-mini already beautiful may be more and more beautiful having a working net connection
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

tlchost

#145 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: this reminds me of an issue with the DVD-edition.
I still have the problem that the DVD edition, burned to a DVD+RW never will work....it complains that it can't to the sfs file.

MU

#146 Post by MU »

tlchost wrote:I still have the problem that the DVD edition, burned to a DVD+RW never will work....it complains that it can't to the sfs file.
Oh, I hoped the rw issues were solved :roll:
So I will have to get DVD rws this week at town.

In case you make more tests, please keep me informed, e.g. if it works with the smaller 800 MB Live Edition.
Mark

recycler

DVD Muppy

#147 Post by recycler »

Downloaded 1.9gig DVD edition. Verified checksum - ok. Burned DVD and have successfully installed on two Pentium IV desktops. Same (minor) difficulty on both. Used the universal installer. Got message about GRUB and went to open NEWGRUBTEXT. PCMAN file manger doesn't know what program to use. Pointed it at leafpad and opens fine. Also doesn't know how to open a pet package from a previously downloaded file. The pet package installer works fine though...Tried opening a pet and a TXT file with XFE and it works as usual. Seems the computer has no memory of what it should do with filetypes until you tell it. Nothing untoward happened with Mini or the Live edition during installs and opening PETS....

To check I burned the DVD again and tried it on another machine with the same results. Also tried Songbird on this DVD edition. It runs ok until the point where you double click on a song. It won't actually play. Play button responds when you click on it but then nothing happens. The mp3s in question play ok with VLC and are entered into the songbird library ok....also songbird works fine from the 'goodies sfs'.

Still really loving Muppy....thought this might be of interest.
thanks, Leon

zgp152

Wireless wit Muppy

#148 Post by zgp152 »

My wish list #1 for Muppy: revised wireless wizard. Improvement are on the way, work of Dougal. When a stabilized new wizard version exists, hope it could be integrated in Muppy and released also as a patch.

I can't say whether it is the kernel or my Broadcom 4311 circuit that is the trouble. Once I got a connection but the next time no way! Now I must work with cable.

Rgds,
zgp152

tlchost

#149 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote:
tlchost wrote: In case you make more tests, please keep me informed, e.g. if it works with the smaller 800 MB Live Edition.
Mark
Oh, the LiveCD version works perfectly with DVD+RW...so that is not a problem. Not sure about DVD-RW, but if it would be of assistance, I can try that and report back.

As an aside.....perhaps there can be two Live-CD versions....one that works with CD media and another with DVD media.

There is so much you have included, that I most likley will never use it all (g)

Once again, thanks not only for a great product, but also for your support.

recycler

music player in Puppy

#150 Post by recycler »

Not wanting to focus on Songbird - since a second machine with a second burning of the DVD of Muppy also finds Songbird not singing - AMAROK works - and is a great program. I asked on the forum a while back if it was possible to have it in Puppy. But to my (limited) knowledge it has not been done before. BTW related to the previous observation about not having any pre-set run actions for file types - can't seem to get the DVD Muppy to recognise any icons - which has been fine with the mini and live editions.

MU

#151 Post by MU »

recycler,
I will focus on the DVD saving issues first (will buy rewritable DVDs today), so just some hints about your problems.
You could try 2 things.

In a consolewindow type:
update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
update-desktop-database
but I think this might not solve it.
Next, create a backup of /usr/share/mime from the Live-CD.
With xarchive, Muppy-filer (Button "zip"), or XFE (right-click - add to archive).
Extract in in your running DVD-edition.

If that does not work yet, run again:
update-desktop-database
Please let me know, how far that fixes your issues.

To assign custom actions, you can use PCManFm with right-clicking a file, or the MIME-Editor available as Icon in the Muppypanel (or from the menu).

If that does not solve it, I must look myself in detail.
I will upload a 0084.d in october, it basically just will include the servicepacks and OpenOffice 3 final.
I also will integrate fixes that we can work out, like the wrong MIME types in the DVD edition.
Thanks for your engaged testiing, this really helps to create a more polished release :)

The songbird issue might be related, but I am not certain.
Maybe it just does not know what program to use to play the music due to the broken mime-types.
Mark

MU

Re: Wireless wit Muppy

#152 Post by MU »

zgp152 wrote:My wish list #1 for Muppy: revised wireless wizard. Improvement are on the way, work of Dougal. When a stabilized new wizard version exists, hope it could be integrated in Muppy and released also as a patch.

I can't say whether it is the kernel or my Broadcom 4311 circuit that is the trouble. Once I got a connection but the next time no way! Now I must work with cable.
Have you tried out the current wireless wizard from Dougal?
I am not certain, how compatible it is with Muppy, because he seems to focus on Puppy 4.
Adding the wizard will need several tests, that I can not run here at home due to missing Hardware.
I just have cable here.
So I must wait until october, when I travel to northern german again.
Mark

Phoebe's_Dad

#153 Post by Phoebe's_Dad »

Awesome release.

Thank you.

the improved network wizard would be nice. But I can try to add that myself.. (yikes)

The only issues I really had was a need to 're-install???' java and flash to opera.

It works great on my laptop.

ttuuxxx

Re: Wireless wit Muppy

#154 Post by ttuuxxx »

MU wrote:
zgp152 wrote:My wish list #1 for Muppy: revised wireless wizard. Improvement are on the way, work of Dougal. When a stabilized new wizard version exists, hope it could be integrated in Muppy and released also as a patch.

Have you tried out the current wireless wizard from Dougal?
I am not certain, how compatible it is with Muppy, because he seems to focus on Puppy 4.
Adding the wizard will need several tests, that I can not run here at home due to missing Hardware.
I just have cable here.
So I must wait until october, when I travel to northern german again.
Mark
Hey mark
You only have cable??? most places in the world which have cable has really high uploads. 200kb/sec+
But if its slow in your area, just tell me which version you want me download and what patch you want me to apply and I'll do it.
The max I can download is 25gigs a month.
always happy to help out
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

MU

#155 Post by MU »

TV cable, it is pretty fast (16 Mbit download), most servers just allow 1 Mbit downloads.
Uploads go with 118 kb/s, so 800 MB need around 2 hours..
But that is no technical issue, but set by the provider as far as I know.
Mark

recycler

DVD mime type issue

#156 Post by recycler »

MU wrote:recycler,

In a consolewindow type:
update-desktop-database

Thanks Mark, those two lines restored my DVD version to the required state.

Now clicking on 'files' and clicking on a pet file starts up the installer dialogue - successfully installed Picassa. And clicking on a text file brings up the text editor - icons recognised etc. I didn't try the mime file from DVD since your first suggestion worked. I did go back to songbird afterwards and it behaved the same way as before; that is to say, loaded up correctly, scanned some music folders (mp3s), built a library - I double click on a track - it goes to play it, but gives up (thinking can't play file - 'error' flashes up briefly) and flicks through all the tracks in the library trying one after another but the total track time stays on 0:00 and it never starts playing.

Amarak on the other hand is just fine! Pleased the feedback helps :) BTW the above took place on a third frugal install of the DVD version (checksum on downloaded file ok) which had the same issues initially with mime types (although the menu.1st on another partition DID open ok with leafpad but going to tmp (from 'files' and trying to open NEWGRUBTEXT failed)[/img]
Attachments
response.jpg
console window
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

MU

#157 Post by MU »

tlchost wrote:
MU wrote: this reminds me of an issue with the DVD-edition.
I still have the problem that the DVD edition, burned to a DVD+RW never will work....it complains that it can't to the sfs file.
I ran *many* tests now with DVD+RWs.
With DVD-edition, Live and Mini.
Using a Philips DVD1660P1 DVD writer.
With and without swap.
With additional harddisks attached and without.

I was not able to reproduce the problem.
At moment I only could guess, that there is a driver issue, or an issue, that the DVD or the drive has (optical) errors.
Or we simply oversee a third issue. :roll:

-------------------------------------------------
I however encountered another issue, but I think this might not be related.
My computer has 1 Gigabyte Ram.
I created the DVD+RWs using new ones, that never were used before.
I burned the Isos with Pburn 2.0.3 in Muppy as multisession.

- The DVD-Edition booted fine with "puppy pfix=ram".
I however could not save the session to the DVD, as the DVD could not be unmounted.
This is logic: msy_084.sfs is 2 gigabyte, so it cannot be loaded to ram, so it is mounted directly from DVD.

- the Mini was booted with "puppy pfix=ram".
I could save the session to DVD at shutdown.
At restart, I entered no bootoptions, and it picked up the session from DVD as expected.

- Live acted as Mini.
But I wondered, that the free space was shown with 450 MB.
A check with freememapplet confirmed this with 440 MB.
This cannot be, as 1 gigabyte - 800 MB (msy_084.sfs) is just 200 MB.

I then copied a large file (100 MB) to /root/, and the computer freezed.
Using a swap of 256 MB, I could copy two 100 MB files to /root/, but with the third, it also freezed.

I then could reproduce, that the same issue happens, if I boot the Live as frugal installation.
Note: this freeze only happens, if you have NO savefile!

"free" shows this memory usage:

Code: Select all

# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:      1035656       910068       125588            0        27204
 Swap:       265032       263872         1160
Total:      1300688      1173940       126748
# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:      1035656       993828        41828            0        28220
 Swap:            0            0            0
Total:      1035656       993828        41828
# df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                      635        29       606   5% /initrd/pup_rw
tmpfs                      762       762         0 100% /initrd/mnt/tmpfs
/dev/loop0                 761       761         0 100% /initrd/pup_ro2
unionfs                    635        29       606   5% /
tmpfs                      506         3       503   1% /dev
# 
The first "free" was made with swap, the second without swap.

The results indicate, that the method to determine the free space does not work correct without a savefile.
On a computer with 1 gigabyte of Ram, the Live uses almost all memory, so there is not much left to store any files.
Using swap, increases the free memory to save files by the size of the swap.

So the freememapplet and the free display in Muppypanel must be patched, to take care of these issues.

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sat 27 Sep 2008, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#158 Post by MU »

recycler

many thanks for your report :D

I checked it on my own again in the DVD-edition, and can confirm, that only:
update-desktop-database
is required, to get working mimetypes.

I will add this command to the startup-files in the next release.

Mark

hayagix

#159 Post by hayagix »

I'm using the full install to hard drive(800 mb version) although not recommended.

Updated network wizard to newest version without a hitch and my wireless is working perfectly.

Nvidia drivers and 1680x1050 x24 support out of the box is awesome!

I've only just begun to explore the software selection and it is impressive to say the least.

This may very well be the ultimate distro(for me) from what I'm seeing so far.

Terrific stuff and thankyou.

MU

#160 Post by MU »

hayagix
Updated network wizard to newest version without a hitch and my wireless is working perfectly.
Thanks, this will be very helpfull for some people!
Here is the link to get the network-wizard:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31522

Here is a PET of the current version:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 141#235141

So I'll give it a go for the next release.
I also will look in Puppy 4.1rc1-retro, if it contains some more kernelmodules than Muppy, so I might incorporate those, too.

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sat 27 Sep 2008, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.