Canon Multifunction PIXMA MP610 (Solved!)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
battleshooter

Canon Multifunction PIXMA MP610 (Solved!)

#1 Post by battleshooter »

Edit: Just skip to the last post for the solution

Ok, I just got a Canon Multifunction PIXMA MP610 to replace my other Canon. Canon released the linux drivers for it here. I dutifully unrpmed them in / and they seemed to go to the correct locations. Installed in CUPS without a hitch, but when I tried to test print, it said it was processing then, no jobs, and basically it didn't print. A lot of others have got it going in Linux, so I know it's possible. Any ideas? At this stage, all I'm trying to achieve is printing.
Last edited by battleshooter on Fri 06 Feb 2009, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Did you download, and install, both the specific MP610 driver and the common files? Is it set as default printer?

Maybe you can try the free version of turboprint and, if it works OK, consider shelling out 30Euros for a license when the 30day free trial expires?

battleshooter

#3 Post by battleshooter »

Thanks for the reply Muggins.

Yes I got the MP610 driver and the common file. I'm currently downloading Turboprint. Does the structure of the rpm look alright to you? Also, I tried again this time using Nicolos' pdd files.

http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-p ... nting.html

I just set the printer on default and tried printing the test page, but unfortunately, it's still no there. What now?

battleshooter

#4 Post by battleshooter »

It worked Muggins!

Thanks for suggesting Turboprint, but I'm afraid I don't think I'll be able to persuade my parents to foot out 30 Euro when the printer works in Windows. Do you think you could think of any way the printer will work without Turboprint? As a point of interest, I noticed instead printing to cnij_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 like it does in CUPS, it prints to tpu://Canon/MP610_series in TurboPrint. But that's just Turbo's own port isn't it? Thanks for your help Muggins.

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

battleshooter,

I just downloaded the .rpm for the canon mp610 and, after I extracted it, everything is in order...with one exception.

The extracted archive is missing the library symlinks, so you would need to manually create these:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm327.so.6.61.1 /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclapi327.so.3.3.0 /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclapi327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclui327.so.3.3.0 /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclui327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpess327.so.3.0.9 /usr/lib/libcnbpess327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpo327.so.1.0.3 /usr/lib/libcnbpo327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclbjcmd327.so.3.3.0 /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclbjcmd327.so
At least I think that's all that should be required. I haven't looked at the pdf manual for your printer, but you can try running one of the executables that come with the program, like say cifmp610, cngpij cngpijmonmp610, lgmonmp610, or printuimp610, and see whether any errors are generated about missing library files.

battleshooter

#6 Post by battleshooter »

Sorry for the delay Muggins. I made the links using the code you gave me in a fresh pupsave and then unrpmed and and added the printer to Cups. Then I tried printing the test page but it didn't go. Rebooted. Tried printing test page again, set the printer as default printer, tried printing something other than the test page, but still no go. What shall I try next Muggins? Thanks for your time mate,

Oh, and I tested cifmp610, cngpij cngpijmonmp610, lgmonmp610, or printuimp610 in a terminal but they didn't spit out any errors.

Lgmonmp610 just gave me a blank terminal,

cngpijmonmp610 opened a window called status monitor telling me "Ready",

cifmp610 said
BJLSTART
ControlMode=Common
SetTime=20080930090316
BJLEND

and stopped there (no # though)

cngpij showed this:
cngpij Ver.2.80 Copyright CANON INC. 2002-2007
Usage: cngpij [-P printer name] <file name>

printuimp610 was printer options

battleshooter

#7 Post by battleshooter »

I also tried printing like this in a terminal:

# cngpij MP610 /root/Script.txt

Still nothing though. Just thought to let you know as much as I could.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

From this link here it seems you need to do:

lpadmin -p MP160 -P /usr/share/cups/model/canonmp160.ppd \
-v cnij_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E
Also, in the cups browser, when you select add a printer, is canonmp160.ppd showing as an option?
Final notes

You should now [Edited for clarity] be able to access it at http://localhost:631 and add the Canon printer and print a test page. The default usb backend worked fine for me, but you may also wish to try the Canon backend. (The two backends are why the printer will show up twice in the Add Printer page -- each backend is reporting the printer to CUPS.)

battleshooter

#9 Post by battleshooter »

I got into /usr/sbin and could see lpadmin staring right at me, but when I opened a terminal in the directory it kept telling me "lpadmin: no such file or directory" when I could see it right there. As a point of curiosity, are MP610 and MP160 drivers compatible or something? Anyway I can't see canonmp160.ppd but Canon MP610 Series Ver.2.80 (en) is an option and the one I normally use.

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

No...this is more likely a sign I'm suffering from AOD...Adult Onset Dyslexia!

As the turboprint driver is working OK, I wonder what happens at the end of the 30 day period?

battleshooter

#11 Post by battleshooter »

AOD huh? :D

Oh well :)

Should I go ahead and try it substituting MP160 for MP610 or leave it?

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

No forget about that mistaken advice. But it might be worth trying the .ppd file available here:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mp610l ... 1.1.tar.gz

battleshooter

#13 Post by battleshooter »

Sigh, it didn't work. Have any more ideas?

Whenever I try and print, I note the LCD screen on the printer comes on, so it obviously knows something is coming through, but why it won't print is beyond me.

gerry

#14 Post by gerry »

Are you trying to print from an open document in Abiword? If not, try it.
Does your printer show up on the printer selection menu, or do you just get "Generic Postscript Printer"?
If your printer does not show up as a choice, use Petget to install Ted, which is a very basic wordprocessor, but it does print. If Ted prints, then you've got the problem that I've been chasing for more than a year.

Gerry

battleshooter

#15 Post by battleshooter »

Hey Gerry,

Nah, I wasn't trying to print from Abiword, but I have heard it's a whole barrel full of "fun" :roll:

I tested the printer with OpenOffice, Firefox, and the Cups test page.

I could test with Ted though, there's no harm afterall...

Thanks,
Battleshooter

gerry

#16 Post by gerry »

Given what you've done already, I don't expect Ted to work either.

You've got a very deep problem, which baffles me. Usually I have trouble with postscript files, ie those produced by Open Office, Abiword, and so on. However, Firefox prints a raster image, and so I think does the Cups test page. These work much more often- they use different software than postscript files do.

Gerry

battleshooter

#17 Post by battleshooter »

Wooohooooo!!!! Yes!!!! Finally got the printer going without TurboPrint :D No more printing in Windows!!! Need a bigger grin here :D

Even though I haven't been posting I've been working on trying to get this printer going for the longest time browsing around and testing, and eventually I got it down to the printer saying it would print and nothing happened. Then I tried Wow's puplet (Exton) which is based on 4.11 and for some reason it printed! Yes! I did want it to work in Pup 3 but at least it's now going in something other than Windows and preferentially in a Puppy derivative.

I'm afraid I never figured completely what the problem was but this is basically what I did for those who are following up this trail:

1.Unrpm Cannon's official packages to / in this order:
cnijfilter-common-2.80-1.i386.rpm
cnijfilter-mp610series-2.80-1.i386.rpm
They can be found here.

2.Fix the missing symlinks by copying and pasting the following:

ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm327.so.6.61.1 /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclapi327.so.3.3.0 /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclapi327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclui327.so.3.3.0 /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclui327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpess327.so.3.0.9 /usr/lib/libcnbpess327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpo327.so.1.0.3 /usr/lib/libcnbpo327.so
ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclbjcmd327.so.3.3.0 /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclbjcmd327.so
3.Then install the printer normally through Cups just taking care to select "USB printer #1 with status readback for canon ij (Canon MP610 series)" when asked what device and you should have one working printer. Yes!!!

Thanks Muggins for all your help!