anyone up for writing a program for a mp3 to cd burner

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
chrisperry

anyone up for writing a program for a mp3 to cd burner

#1 Post by chrisperry »

i have looked around and tried different programs but i can't get one that will do what i want it to.

i have almost no experience programming or i would do it my self.

if anyone is interested in takin this on let me know and i will do all i can to help get this put together this is what i would like to do:

1) choose a dir to get mp3's from
2) pick mp3 files and add to que (like the pup-get menu)
3) convert to audio cd
4) #of songs on cd,and amout of time used
5) burn cd
/ insert cd to be burned
6) show progress
7) finalize
8) eject when done
9) another? y/n
y) insert cd in burner
n) clear que and quit

thanks chris
Attachments
mp3 menu.png
(19.42 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

This could definately be done, but I don't know exactly how.

Basically, you'll need to use commandline burning, which is what the GUIs use anyway. The trickiest part would be making a GUI for it. I can't help you there. What the backend would have to do, though, is take the mp3 files you select, and convert them to wavs. That can be done through many methods. The one I use is lame -d mp3file.mp3 wavfile.wav. Once they are all wavs, you'd burn them to the cd using the commandline. Then it could delete them when it's finished. If you're really ambitious, you could get conversion scripts for a bunch of formats and have it turn them all into wavs. Then you could just grab a bunch of songs without heeding the formats and still burn them.

Sorry I can't give you specific commands to use. Try looking up cdrtools . It seems to be the standard commandline burning setup, and it comes standard in Puppy.

Good luck!
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#3 Post by MU »

It might be possible to code that on 1 weekend in PuppyBasic, but I have too much other stuff on my list.

Maybe this helps a little bit: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=3755
I coded that some years ago, but in Perl, as there was no PuppyBasic yet.

You can add a converterline like:
lame --decode "PATH/FILE" "/root/burn-audio/FILENOSUFFIX.wav"

Now convert some mp3 from different folders, and use "du /root/burn-audio/" in a xterm to check the size of the destination-folder.

When it is full (650 MB or so), burn the folder to a CD as Audio-CD using XCD-Roast or others.

As the program converts several files at the same time, it should work quite fast to "create" a CD.

Mark