Multitech Multimodem driver package for GPRS/EDGE/CDMA

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
lstandish

Multitech Multimodem driver package for GPRS/EDGE/CDMA

#1 Post by lstandish »

NOTE: THIS PATCHED USB DRIVER IS NO LONGER NECESSARY FOR PUPPY LINUX 4.3 AND LATER, SINCE LINUX KERNEL 2.6.30.1 AND LATER CONTAIN A MODULE UPDATE THAT WORKS WITH THE USB CONNECTION MULTITECH MULTIMODEM.

I am pleased to announce the first release of a patched driver for the USB-connected Multitech Multimodem GPRS/EDGE/CDMA modems. Multitech makes what are probably the best GPRS modems in the world. (GPRS is a wireless Internet technology, running on top of a GSM cellular phone connection. It provides very cheap Internet access throughout Costa Rica, and is popular in several European countries.)

To my knowledge this is the only working driver package available for a modern Linux distro (aside from my Debian Etch solution at http://linuxbackups.org/multimodem-on-linux, which is not nearly as nice as this). In other words, no other current Linux distro (kernel version 2.6x) has a driver package that works with these modems. It is tested only for GPRS. This pet is ONLY for kernel 2.7.21.7.

Included are:
1. Patched version of the ti_usb_3410_5052 driver, for which the Puppy 4.00 kernel has compiled-in support. This driver *replaces* the driver included with Puppy.

2. firmware for the GPRS, EDGE, and CDMA modems.

3. ppp connection and configuration scripts

4. GUI setup program with Puppy menu entry

5. Connection script with Puppy menu entry

The included GUI modem setup utility makes setup of this modem under Puppy faster and easier by far than Windows. The setup utility should also work with all serial connection Multitech modems, as well as other brands of GPRS modems. In that case, the USB serial driver is not needed and can be uninstalled (instructions included).

I'd appreciate hearing from those who make use of this pet.
Attachments
mt-gprs-2.6.21.7-1.2.zip
(39.93 KiB) Downloaded 3003 times
Last edited by lstandish on Sat 26 Jun 2010, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

jestal

#2 Post by jestal »

i'm trying this on Puppy 4.0 hd install.

this means i don't have to patch the kernel as Multi Tech's doc say?

I've got the model MTCBA-G-U-F4.

lstandish

#3 Post by lstandish »

The whole idea of this package is to provide all you need to use Multitech USB connection modems without patching the kernel, etc. I'm sorry that was not clear.

You can use MT-GPRS with USB GPRS/EDGE/CDMA Multitech Multimodem with Puppy 4.0. If you use 4.1, you will need to choose the 2.6.21.7 kernel version (4.1retro). For 4.1 retro you will not even need MT-GPRS, I believe.

jestal

#4 Post by jestal »

Lloyd,
I was trying to do this thru VMWare.
so, i pulled out my 2gb usb stick and booted from it to Puppy 4.

I installed the package, then voila, the power light came on, and the LS light blinks.

very good......

I ran the setup program putting in what i know. not sure about the username and password, and the phone number seems strange but, here is the results of running the Connect program.

Does all this look ok?
I'm going to check my input parameters.
I didn't show my real data.

rAT
OK
AT+CPIN="1234"
ERROR
AT+CGDCONT=1, "IP","someplace.somewhere.net"
OK
ATE1
OK
AT+CSQ
waiting for connect...

+CSQ: 20,0

OK
ATD18005551212
NO CARRIER
Connect script failed
Exit status is 0
DISCONNECTED

lstandish

#5 Post by lstandish »

Hi,
The phone number is wrong for GPRS (and for CDMA/EDGE too, I think). Your number should look like this: *99***1# Try that one, and if it doesn't work, try a "2" or a "3" before the "#" character. If all else fails, contact your ISP to determine the correct number. :)

Other than that, your modem appears to be working OK.

jestal

#6 Post by jestal »

Whoo Hooo!!

thanks,

I now have lots of data and connection info, packets sent and received.

Next is the tunneling issue, i think.

lstandish

#7 Post by lstandish »

Tunneling issue? There should be no such problem. Just open Sea Monkey and browse the web.

jestal

#8 Post by jestal »

i won't be using this for web browsing.
i have a server that will dial in to ftp a file on this computer.

another app will be for a computer to dial in and pass thru to the local network.

lstandish

#9 Post by lstandish »

Your cost for GPRS Internet service depends on your ISP (Internet Service Provider). You should contact your local GPRS ISP (probably your cell phone company) to find out how the charges are figured.

Here in Costa Rica, the ISP is "ICE" and there is a cheap flat rate for GPRS connectivity, with no data limit and no time limit.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the package...have done this manually in the past but users will appreciated the automation.

In uk pay as you go virgin is 30p (~50c) per day...max 15MB
not fast or huge but useful for checking emails etc on the move

mike

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the package...have done this manually in the past but users will appreciated the automation.

In uk pay as you go virgin is 30p (~50c) per day...max 15MB
not fast or huge but useful for checking emails etc on the move

I found my connection info via google

mike

manahil

#12 Post by manahil »

Your number should look like this: *99***1# Try that one, and if it doesn't work, try a "2" or a "3" before the "#" character. If all else fails, contact your ISP to determine the correct number.

macaruchi

Linux debian

#13 Post by macaruchi »

Hi!, You dont have this package for Debian. I cant use Puppy because all servers here use debian and I have 2 modems multitech.

Anybody has a cluee to work with debian ?
Could be any version of debian ... :(