Working with ALSA

Using applications, configuring, problems
needs help

Working with ALSA

#1 Post by needs help »

hey just tried to install ALSA go this error message i will try a different method i saw but any help is appreciated
Attachments
alsa-screen.jpg
(116.51 KiB) Downloaded 1836 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It appears you have no C compiler. Try installing TinyC from the Pupget menu. (Puppy doesn't come with a C compiler.)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

See the "How to compile apps for Puppy" page, linked off the Developer projects page, linked off the main Puppy page.
Which is:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development/compileapps.htm

But, you shouldn't have to compile anything.
If you do compile, the host distro must be running the EXACT SAME kernel as in Puppy.
I'm not sure exactly if pup 1.0.3 will use the 2.6.11.11 kernel or later.
...anyway, I'll post the kernel compile config file soon.
You will need Vector Lenux 5.0STD and will need to follow the instructions on the How to compile the kernel page.

needs help

#4 Post by needs help »

i know that the tinyC package comes as a .tar.gz tarball but in what file format does it need to be for installation?

menno

#5 Post by menno »

http://www.rpmseek.com/ Look here to find a ALSA rpm file .
Mosty they work in PUPPY if you take type i386 .

To compile ALSA you also have to have 'make' and I ame afraid that you will have to download a lot of 'include' file's . Most of them are , as far I remember , in 'glibc-devel-xxxx.rpm' .

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

needs help wrote:i know that the tinyC package comes as a .tar.gz tarball but in what file format does it need to be for installation?

If I understand correctly what Barry wrote, you probably cannot install ALSA by compiling it with Tiny C in Puppy. (And Barry created Puppy so he should know.)

But, to answer your question, Tiny C is available as a Pupget package. Essentially all you need to do to install it is download it. I'm not in Puppy right now (I'm at work :roll: ) so this is going to be a bit vague: you will find Pupget in one of the top three categories in the Start button menu. Click on Pupget and then follow the instructions to find and install Tiny C.

needs help

#7 Post by needs help »

well it hasn't been working so im just gonna get slackware or something to compile it (i already have the 2.6.7 kernel source)