Thinkpad 600E modem and Linux

granny

#21 Post by granny »

Thank you so much Richard for your time , Good thing I have lots of free time...LOL
Time for Granny to do the victory dance

Go granny,go granny,go granny...LOL
and the fix was a line read in the boot thingy where it says try pci=routeirq .....I knew it had to be a resource conflict.

Keep up the good work guys.

Richard one more thing please...
is there a way I can get mwave to start at boot instead of :

Code: Select all

modprobe mwave
cd /root-my-applications/bin
./mwaved start   

rerwin

#22 Post by rerwin »

granny,
Congratulations on finding the solution! I was clueless about that angle.

But I should be able to help with your question for me. Puppy should start mwave automatically. It probably needs a little help. It has mwave built in, so shouldn't need the copy in my-applications. Unless, that is, you know Puppy's doesn't work.

I think puppy does not find ISA devices on its own, or doesn't know about yours. But I think it just doesn't look for ISAs. The solution is probaly to use BootManager to add mwave to the "add a new module" list. It causes the mwaved executable in /usr/bin to run. If you are using your own version of mwaved, copy it to usr/bin so puppy can find it.

I would like to be sure of all you did to make this work. Is it as simple as using the "pci=routeirq" or did you do more? Thanks for continuing the quest.
Richard

granny

#23 Post by granny »

my bad oops ,I forgot to thank Ez4arabs.
Thank you soooooooooo much.

I would like to be sure of all you did to make this work. Is it as simple as using the "pci=routeirq" or did you do more? Thanks for continuing the quest.
Richard
It must be beginners's luck because I was shooting in the dark and I have no idea what am doing so I can't tell you what is it exactly that I did that got it working because I used V2.16 but when I tried to do the same with V4 It didn't work so I must of done something else that I forgot to mention before.
btw EZ4arabs I didn't have to choose between sound or modem.Both works when I disabled quick boot and added pci=routeirq.

Thanks guys for your help .Now comes the good part.........using puppy :roll:

vtpup

#24 Post by vtpup »

Wait, help!

What do you mean by:
the fix was a line read in the boot thingy where it says try pci=routeirq
what boot thingy, what line?

Please, someone, explicit step by step instructions on how to solve this problem for a TP600E running 3.01.

Thanks!

vtpup

#25 Post by vtpup »

No answer so far..

I'm guessing it's an undocumented "cheatcode" for entering at start-up.

Tried it and no improvement.

Please note that Granny above was successful ONLY for a TP 770, while this thread was opened to solve the problem in a TP 600E. The focus was shifted, and folks seem to have assumed the problem was resolved. It wasn't.

rerwin

#26 Post by rerwin »

vtpup,
Sorry, we seem to have left you hanging. The "pci=routeirq" is a boot parameter that can be used in two different places. When running from CD, Puppy pauses for 5 seconds to allow you to type in a boot command instead of taking the default, which is simply "puppy". To add it at that point, just type "puppy pci=routeirq" as the boot command.

If booting with grub on a hard drive, add the parameter to the "kernel" line in menu.lst that boots your puppy. I hope by now you figured that out on your own. But I felt the thread needed some closure on your question.
Richard

vtpup

#27 Post by vtpup »

Hi Rerwin,

Thanks very much for trying to help here -- oh, this is an old thread and I've long since moved past this stage.

I did eventually get the modem working -- I think there's another thread where I talked about it. I'll try to find that and post the url here in case anyone else needs to solve the same problem.

I'm now using Puppy 4.1.2 and don't know if the modem problem was cleared up in this version. I don't use the modem anymore, as DSL arrived in my area at a price that was less than my former ISP was using dialup.

I'll be back with the url of the modem workaround.

EDIT:

Here it is:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=29

Thanks again for trying to help however!

rerwin

#28 Post by rerwin »

vtpup,
Thanks for the update. I just didn't want to leave the appearance of neglect of your basic question.

Even though you have moved beyond dialup, it would be very helpful to other mwave-modem users if you could verify whether it works with my recent uploaded dotpet that restores support for it to 4.12 (and 4.1/4.1.1). It and a few other modems got dropped due to the change in the mechanism for detecting modems and loading their drivers. Here is my posting to the 4.1.2 Bug-fixes thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 797#266797

If the original problem is not fixed, I need to alert Barry to it and get a fix. I wonder which deleted part from the stripped version of mwavem causes the problem. Maybe Barry might have an idea.

It would probably be best if we continue this dialog in the "solved" thread you reference, since it deals directly with the mwave implementation. Thanks.
Richard

vtpup

#29 Post by vtpup »

rerwin,

If you haven't changed mwavem from the version in Puppy 3.01, I can guarantee it won't work on Thinkpad 600E's.

The auto start scripts had nothing to do with the problem, It was the stripped version of mwavem that didn't work. Check the properties on the mwavem file. If it's 499088 bytes long, it's the bad version.

It was quite simple to test by substituting one mwavem version for the other. In one case it worked and autostarted, in the other it didn't.

Barry's mwaved script wasn't touched. Case closed.

I suggest just putting the working mwavem (from mwave-2.0-ACP-modem.pup) back in place and forget the later stripped version. It only saved about 70k out of 570k anyway. Doesn't seem worth bothering trying to find out what part of the stripping process caused the problem. A 70k savings?

I'll see what I can do about testing if you really need it -- it's not easy at this point, as the TP 600e laptop I have available for testing isn't the original one I set up for dialup. That one is now a file and backup server and I don't want to use it as a test machine for obvious reasons.

I hope the second one doesn't require a lot of irq fiddling, as I've forgotten all I had to do to get that part working. It's not simple on a Thinkpad.

Anyway, yes, we can continue in that other thread.

vtpup

#30 Post by vtpup »

(rerwin and I had a discussion of a new dotpet to address problems with mwavem in another thread. That discussion has been moved here. I'm adding to this post everything that was in several posts in the other thread to catch up)

I've just booted into 412 retro via pfix=ram on a TP600E to make sure everything is "fresh" for the test.

Steps:
1.) booted pfix=ram
2.) ran PupDial Modem ialup
3.) Did Probe (tried auto, tts0 and tts1)
4.) Got "Warning, no Modem Detected"
5.) Installed the new .pet from this post.
Tried again steps 1 through 4 with same result as in 5.

However, a few things should be checked before jumping to any conclusions:

a.) I didn't reboot because I was in pfix-ram. Maybe that would be needed
b.) This laptop just had its BIOS upgraded to the latest version this week and so it may not have its interrupts properly assigned to the internal modem and serial ports. That's half the battle on a Thinkpad,, as I remember it. Everything was reset to default in the BIOS refresh..

So let me work on this a little more, and we'll see if I can give you a more positive result.

Did a personal file save and rebooted.
Still No Go.
Checking interrupts next......

Dual booted into win98 to run the IBM Thinkpad Utility, and it shows the modem enabled and using interrupts 3 and 10.

I checked the IR port (disabled), the sound, and the serial ports, and there were no conflicts. These are the usual offenders.

However this isn't conclusive or necessarily reliable. I found in the past that the REAL arbiter and mapper is the DOS utility PS2.EXE, which works directly with the BIOS.

Problem is, I have to find that (it's on a boot floppy) and I have to also find the plug in floppy drive. It's around here somewhere...........

UPDATE:

Suddenly occurred to me that maybe I had to modprobe it, so I did a

modprobe mwave
But still no-go.

Still looking for PS2.EXE disk.....

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       
  0:     217243    XT-PIC-XT        timer
  1:        157    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
  2:          0    XT-PIC-XT        cascade
  6:          3    XT-PIC-XT        floppy
  7:          4    XT-PIC-XT        parport0
  8:          1    XT-PIC-XT        rtc
 10:          4    XT-PIC-XT        mwave_3780i
 11:      45503    XT-PIC-XT        yenta, yenta, uhci_hcd:usb1, wifi0
 12:      12246    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
 14:      14852    XT-PIC-XT        ide0
 15:        622    XT-PIC-XT        ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

Looks like modem int 3 is missing.

This seems familiar..........

Found the PS2.EXE utility floppy and drive. Booted up and everything looks proper and correct. Internal modem is using interrupts 10 and 3, nothing is conflicting there, and the internal modem is enabled.

I'm still not absolutely sure that the new .pet is failing. I want to try to retrace my steps when I had the modem working on Puppy 3.01 -- although this time on 412 retro. Hope to have an answer for you tonight.

Well I can't follow the old instructions because I can't find mwavem or mwaved. in the filesystem.

The old way was:

## load the Mwave kernel driver modules
modprobe mwave mwave_uart_irq=3 mwave_uart_io=0x2f8 mwave_3780i_irq=10 mwave_3780i_io=0x130 mwave_debug=0x00
## now start the mwave manager daemon
/usr/local/sbin/mwavem
## now configure the serial port
setserial /dev/ttyS1 auto_irq autoconfig
## run mwaved
mwaved start

I don't see mwavem running either in the Pprocess Manager. So why isn't it running, and how do you start it and where is it? Is it supposed to autostart?

Did the below with the following results:

# setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 3

# setserial /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

# modem-stats -c "ATI3" /dev/ttyS1
(just waits forever)
and again no int 3 shown when I do:

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       
  0:     431613    XT-PIC-XT        timer
  1:       1160    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
  2:          0    XT-PIC-XT        cascade
  6:          3    XT-PIC-XT        floppy
  7:          4    XT-PIC-XT        parport0
  8:          1    XT-PIC-XT        rtc
 10:          4    XT-PIC-XT        mwave_3780i
 11:      83899    XT-PIC-XT        yenta, yenta, uhci_hcd:usb1, wifi0
 12:      95166    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
 14:      38602    XT-PIC-XT        ide0
 15:       1155    XT-PIC-XT        ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0
Don't know where to go after this -- any suggestions?
Last edited by vtpup on Mon 02 Feb 2009, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

vtpup

#31 Post by vtpup »

Fromthe other thread, Rerwin wrote:
vtpup,
Thanks for trying the mwave dotpet. I did not understand that it takes so much customizing to get it to work. But I can explain why you don't see anything happening.

With Puppy 4.1 the module loading technique changed so that simply using modprobe does not activate the firmware that does some of the magic. But there is a way to overcome that. Use the BootManager to force loading of mwaved with all its parameters. That will trigger the modem init script, which should handle the rest -- I think. (If it doesn't, we could make it so.)
Richard

EDIT: I read this last post first, then noticed your previous ones. So I may be addressing the wrong problem.

But first, I think we should go back to your other thread so that we don't hijack this one, which is for offering fixes. Could you move this dialog back there and reduce the size of your above posts? I think everyone would appreciate that.

Anyway, once you reboot after installing the dotpet, mwaved should get loaded automatically. We need to get that far first, maybe without your mods to the BIOS, considering that you have upgraded it. But I yield to your knowledge on that.

A-hah! The driver is not loading because of another change in module loading for 4.1. But I have made a dotpet to correct that, earlier in this thread, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 797#266797
Richard
Sorry,no go.

There was an error expanding package modem%2Bcardbus_fix-4.1.3.tar.gz.
Either the file is corrupted, or has not expanded into its own directory with
name of modem%2Bcardbus_fix-4.1.3/ (which is how most packages expand).
You will have to go into /root/.packages/ directory and manually clean it up.

This script will now exit...

vtpup

#32 Post by vtpup »

I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here, rerwin. I've put about 6 hours into testing this thing, and I'm trying to guess what you want me to do, and what changes have been made to 4.1 that I don't know about or don't understand, Obviously there's a procedure required to get this thing to work.

I'm happy to test this even though I don't use the modem anymore, but I ask that you provide me with exact test steps to follow on a Thinkpad 600E,

It seems that at least two dotpets have to be loaded and possibly the Bootmanager needs modules loaded and parameters passed, according to your prior post.

Rather than guess at the order of loading, whether I need to somehow manually clean out the last failed dotpet, or start with a fresh install, please let me know in a numbered step process exactly what test steps you want, and I'll do exactly that. We'll get a lot more accomplished that way in a lot less time.

Thanks!

tempestuous

#33 Post by tempestuous »

vtpup wrote:There was an error expanding package modem%2Bcardbus_fix-4.1.3.tar.gz.
rerwin,
the "+" in the name of the dotpet is messing things up. You need to recreate the dotpet with a different name.

rerwin

#34 Post by rerwin »

vtpup,
Sorry for the jerk-arounds. But all is not lost. It struck me this morning that the modem dotpet works only on the standard kernel, due to the big changes. So, don't try to use it in the retro -- but no harm done since it failed anyway. The fix is easier than that. The retro puppys still uses the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG file to cause loading of mwave (and the other modems in the dotpet). Puppy 4.1 and 4.1.1 contain the necessary lines in MODULESCONFIG. (I had them removed from 4.1.2 because the standard no longer needs them, but I did not consider the retro version.)

So you are OK where you are with the mwave dotpet, but need only to add the following line between lines 10 an 11 of /etc/rc./MODULESCONFIG:

mwave 0x00001014 0x0000007d #not in modinfo.
I have edited my bug-fix posting to mention this.

And thanks (and to tempestuous) for alerting me to the modem-fix dotpet. I will fix that immediately.
Richard

vtpup

#35 Post by vtpup »

Line 11, if you are counting blank lines, and expand Geany out not to linewrap has a single apostrophe in it at present. Don't quite understand the function of that, but anyway, look:

#unlike BOOTCONFIG and PUPSTATE that are auto-generated by Puppy,
#MODULESCONFIG was manually created and can be edited.
#MODULESCONFIG is inserted into /sbin/pup_event_backend_d and pup_event_backend_modprobe.
#MODULESCONFIG is read/written by the BootManager (System menu).

#Please use underscore '_' in all module names, not '-'.

#PCI_OVERRIDES: if no match, or multiple matches, may need manual override...
#put one entry on each line...
PCI_OVERRIDES='dmfe 0x00001282 0x00009102 #r_hughes reports tulip module not work.
'

#SKIPLIST: may need to simply skip some modules...
#v2.15 suddenly occurred to me, what if oss and alsa sound modules both load?  (snip)
So do you want me to open a new line just before the apostrophe and put mwave 0x00001014 0x0000007d #not in modinfo. there?

(Suggestion, instead of counting lines in software user instructions, copy the appropriate section of the un-numbered script and show a before and after.)

rerwin

#36 Post by rerwin »

vtpup,
Yes, you concluded correctly. I just assumed that everyone knows how to make geany display line numbers (View > Show Line Numbers). Or maybe you are not using geany. Anyway, you may want to wait a bit.

I have been fixing the modem-fix dotpet beyond just getting rid of the "+" in its name. I am making it support the retro puppys, too. However, I have discovered an old bug that may impact you. I think I have solved it for the standard kernel, but need to also fix the script for the retro pups. To keep things simple, I will tell you the file and line to edit, but will hold off until I verify it on a retro installation. The symptom was that the driver (actually just the init script, for mwave - a special case) still doesn't load. (I test with an Intel modem that needs the same override logic that mwave gets.)

Because I expect to be distracted until Tuesday afternoon, please be patient.
Thanks.
Richard

vtpup

#37 Post by vtpup »

No problem. I don't use the modem anyway -- I'm just doing this to help out.

I've also got this going on a frugal install playground, so it isn't impacting my main install.

Thanks for your work.

ottershaw

Thinkpad 600E modem and Linux

#38 Post by ottershaw »

There are at least 3 other people (besides myself) that are waiting for modem support for Thinkpad (600 & 600E) wave modems to be fixed in puppy.

I really hope you guys succeed. Please let me know when you need help testing your next attempt.

Gordon

rerwin

#39 Post by rerwin »

vtpup and ottershaw,
Thanks for continuing your interest. I have good news! I was worried about nothing. The modem-controller dotpet works just fine with the 4.1.2 retro kernel. You can use the version already posted, even though it downloads as modem%2Bcardbus_fix-4.1.3.tar.gz. Just edit the name to replace "%2B" with "+", then click on it to install.

The dotpet installer expects the .pet to have the same name as the top directory within it. And that directory is modem+cardbus_fix-4.1.3. Give it a try at your leisure. I will be out of action, as mentioned above, but eager to hear how far you get without fiddling (except perhaps for your BIOS)..

BTW: The modem-controller fix will work only on 4.1.2 until I update it. This exercise yielded a bug fix for two scripts. I erroneously assumed the a retro puppy also used the puppy-lite version of uevent handling, but apparently not. Maybe the non-udev alternative is obsolete, so need not be fixed. Or I can fix it but not test it, although it is exactly the same code change for both.
Richard

vtpup

#40 Post by vtpup »

You can use the version already posted, even though it downloads as modem%2Bcardbus_fix-4.1.3.tar.gz. Just edit the name to replace "%2B" with "+", then click on it to install.
Nope. Throws the same error message -- only difference is that it uses the new name.

Are you testing the posted dotpet or a copy on your own drive?

Got an MD5 sum?

I also tested the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG edit

No change in any results. Modem not recognized by Pupdial. No sign that mwavem was started in Pprocess. And no response from the modem when trying from the terminal.

Hard to believe it was working perfectly in 3.01 and unreachable now.

I wonder if it works in 4.0.x?