Perl-o-tine plugins not loading in GIMP (continued)

Using applications, configuring, problems
jcagle

Perl-o-tine plugins not loading in GIMP (continued)

#1 Post by jcagle »

I posted this on the Grafpup board, and am posting this here too.
These are problems that I've had with GIMP since I started...

Web-o-tine, a Script-FU version of Perl-o-tine, does not work properly in Puppy/Grafpup. But that script was only tested in Windows, not Linux.

So on to Perl-o-tine...the problem is that GIMP doesn't seem to be loading my Perl-o-tine plug-in.

It's supposed to show up under Filter/web

What is GIMP missing to get perl plugins working in it?

This is very important because some of the web sites I work on are using sliced images, including the Linux Arts web site. The perl-o-tine plugin is what slices the images and puts them back together in HTML.

The only problem is the perl plugins aren't loading.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

jcagle

#2 Post by jcagle »

I think someone gave me a link to a file to download to help me out with this problem last time I talked about it, but I can't remember what...

jcagle

#3 Post by jcagle »

ok, I found that thread. Now I remember...I tried that file and it didn't work.

I just realized Nathan replied to it too. Nathan, I could definitely use your help...

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

There's a few possibilities here. Gimp plugins have to be compiled for the specific series that you are using or the program will simply ignore them. In other words, if you are running Gimp-2.0.6 (from the Puppy Repository) you could use a plugin compiled against Gimp-2.0.3, but not one compiled against Gimp-2.3.5. With me so far?

The next thing that can cause errors like this is where you place the plugin at. The easiest and most reliable place to put it is inside your home directory in .gimp-2.x (x for whatever series of Gimp you're using). The location of all the system wide Gimp plugins depends on the prefix it was compiled for. The first two Grafpup releases had Gimp compiled for /usr, so the plugins directory was in /usr/lib/gimp/2.x. The latest version has Gimp compiled for /usr/local, so the plugins directory is in /usr/local/lib/gimp/2.2. I added /usr/lib to the system profile so I could compile some programs for Grafpup and for Vector and only have to do it once. I'd recommend sticking with the first location I mentioned.

I'm not sure how the perl plugins work and whether I'd have to explicitly set a configure option to enable it. I'll have to read the docs again. If there is an actual problem with using Perl plugins I'll fix it before the final Grafpup-1.0.1 release. I'll take a closer look at the plugin you're trying to use and get back to you.

Nathan

Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

I don't think you're going to like what I have to say next. The only version I can find on the net of the perl-o-tine script is made for Gimp-1.1, so it probably won't ever wirk with any Gimp-2.x. It might be possible to get an older version of Gimp and the GImp-perl package and run the script that way, but it would have to install into a seperate prefix if you wanted to run it alongside a newer version of Gimp. This might entail compiling it from source, as a package compiled for /usr or /usr/local could very well cause problems for another Gimp installation and you might end up with two unusable Gimps.

I don't have a lot of time for compiling right now but if you want to give it a try, it would be easier to compile it without printing or python.

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gimp10 --disable-print --disable-python
You'll need both the Gimp package and the Gimp-perl package as the 1.x series did not have Gimp-perl by default (if memory serves).

Nathan

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

There appears to be another script called py-slice that can do the same things. Unfortunately it requires Python and Gimp-python. I didn't compile Python support into Gimp for Grafpup and I'm sure Barry didn't compile it into Gimp-2.0.6 for Puppy. It might be possible to add it as an extra option. I did build Gimp with Python for Vector, so I might be able to use that to create an addon package.

One of the problems with this is that I've been getting some reports that the Python package doesn't work anyway. I had been thinking of removing it, as I'm not a fan of Python anyway. I really wish people would just code in C so it can be turned into a binary.

Nathan

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

For anyone who might be following this thread but not it's parallell on the Grafpup board i wanted to post the following news on the topic. I've compiled Python and PyGTK from source using Puppy and will have the package available soon. I've also gotten Gimp-2.2.9 re-compiled using Puppy and it now will have the option of using the Python scripts (with an addon package). This version of Gimp will be fully compatible with Puppy-107 as Barry is upgrading freetype for that release.

Nathan

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

This looks like a relevant post.

jcagle

#9 Post by jcagle »

Yes, it's very much related. I just chose to make it a seperate thread in case there were issues beyond Perl, Python, etc.

It's also a seperate thread on the Grafpup board.

Nathan F

#10 Post by Nathan F »

Most of this appears to be solved now, with the exception of the Perl module which is going to take a lot of work. Most of the Perl scripts do have equivelents in Python or scheme, however, so there are working alternatives for this now.

The current Gimp package that I've compiled for Grafpup (Gimp-2.2.9, current version for Puppy is 2.0.6) will be fully compatible with Puppy-107, as Barry is upgrading libfreetype. I have also compiled Python and PyGTK, plus a package containing all of the Python extensions for Gimp.

The Perlotine plugin that kicked this all off has two alternatives that both work with this version of Gimp, PySlice and Webotine. Webotine is fully compatible with Gimp-2.0.6 also.

I'd like to contribute some of the work I've done on Gimp back into Puppy. It's up to Barry which Gimp package will go into the repository at ibiblio, but I might make some Gimp extensions available as dotpups for Puppy users as well.

Nathan