partition resizing tools

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
alainb

partition resizing tools

#1 Post by alainb »

Hi

I read on the home page that there is a need for a partition resizing tool.

In Mandrake > 9.0 /Mandriva there is a graphical tool for that.
it was named diskdrake (or was it drakedisk ?) and it can resize FAT32 partitions, and also NTFS partitions, _IF_ there is free space at the end of it.

if not enough space is available, you need to defrag your partion before ... it is very very very slow (lets say 10 hours for 10 Go !)

I used it (from mandrake 9.0) for ntfs partition and it worked well, but i m not sure it cannot mess your disk, so backup before is strongly recommended.

In the old days there was a command line tool call FIPS , i dont know if it still work.

Regards
Alain

Lobster
Official Crustacean

delete - irrelevant message

#2 Post by Lobster »

8)
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 05 Jun 2005, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Re: RESIZING partitions without content loss.

#3 Post by Guest »

Lobster wrote:m m m . . .
not quite sure what this is in reference to

Puppy cotains two tools - fdisk and cfdisk (which I prefer) which can be used from the shell rsvp or rgxt or whatever it is called . . .
Well this is not the subject ;)
I m speaking of resizing partitions, without losing the content.
(fdisk cfdisk and sfdisk are tools for creating/deleting partitions, BUT they erase everything)

diskdrake can resize without loss fat32 and ntfs partitions for sure, and maybe also ext2/ext3 .
This is cool when you need to get space on a disk, in order to make a new partiton for our beloved Linux ...

Alain

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Here's another thread on the subject.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

Fips only works on DOS partitions. I have used it sucessfully but you must read the documentation.

edwin

qtparted/systemrescuecd

#6 Post by edwin »

I hope I am replying correctly and this works.

There is a program called qtparted that will resize partitions without loss of data. One should first defragment (at least once) a WINDOWS partition before attempting to resize it. qtparted is a GUI frontend for parted (a command line program). It is on many distros, one of which is systemrescuecd.

LINK: http://www.sysresccd.org/ (110MB download for the iso)

One simply boots the CD and from the commandline type: run_qtparted (this is the syntax for systemrescuecd) and hit the enter key. A screen will appear listing all the drives it knows about. Clicking on a particular drive (for example hda) will cause the program to list the current partitions on the drive (hda). Resizing etc. can be accomplished by right clicking a partition. Finally to commit to the change click on the "commit" icon. It is best to make changes "one-at-a time" rather than "many-at-once" .

Sincerely,
Edwin

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

You can use parted. unlike qtparted, you don't have to defrag before resizing.

I like using qtparted from the Knoppix live cd, but it does not move data, you can only resize up to the end of the written data. I used it mainly when I was new to linux and did not want to corrupt anything.

Parted moves the data to accomodate the resizing.

Parted is a command line tool though, so not a simple task for a new user.