Compiling gaim 1.5.0, get error 2

Using applications, configuring, problems
Johnny Reb

Compiling gaim 1.5.0, get error 2

#1 Post by Johnny Reb »

Hopefully someone will have a solution to the problem I've been having trying to compile gaim 1.5.0. I've been able to solve all of them by doing google searches on the error messages I've been getting, but I've not found anything for this one. I'm going to paste in the output from the terminal which includes the error message here:
/bin/bash ../libtool --silent --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall -g3 -o gaim -export-dynamic account.o accountopt.o blist.o buddyicon.o cmds.o connection.o conversation.o core.o debug.o eventloop.o ft.o imgstore.o log.o md5.o network.o notify.o plugin.o pluginpref.o pounce.o prefix.o prefs.o privacy.o proxy.o prpl.o request.o roomlist.o server.o sha.o signals.o status.o stringref.o sound.o sslconn.o util.o value.o xmlnode.o away.o dnd-hints.o gaim-disclosure.o gtkaccount.o gtkcellrendererprogress.o gtkblist.o gtkconn.o gtkconv.o gtkdebug.o gtkdialogs.o gtkeventloop.o gtkft.o gtkimhtml.o gtkimhtmltoolbar.o gtklog.o gtknotify.o gtkplugin.o gtkpluginpref.o gtkprefs.o gtkprivacy.o gtkpounce.o gtkrequest.o gtkroomlist.o gtksound.o gtksourceiter.o gtkutils.o idle.o main.o session.o stock.o themes.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lstartup-notification-1 -lnsl
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.4/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lstartup-notification-1
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [gaim] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gaim-1.5.0/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gaim-1.5.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gaim-1.5.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
bash-3.00#

Any help y'all can provide will be very much appriciated.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he
resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself."
~ Archibald Macleish

In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give it to the other.
~ Voltaire

It is easy to understand why the law is used by the legislator to destroy in varying degrees among the rest of the people their personal independence by slavery, their liberty by oppression, and their property by plunder. This is done for the benefit of the person who makes the law, and in proportion to the power that he holds. ~ Frederic Bastiat, The Law
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Ah ha!
I downloaded the latest Gaim a couple of days ago, as intend to upgrade for Pup 1.0.7.
I will have a go at compiling it tonight.
I do recall that there are some tricks involved...

Johnny Reb

#3 Post by Johnny Reb »

BarryK wrote:Ah ha!
I downloaded the latest Gaim a couple of days ago, as intend to upgrade for Pup 1.0.7.
I will have a go at compiling it tonight.
I do recall that there are some tricks involved...
To say the least it's been a royal pain! I had to disable perl, tcl, and gtkspell, and show it where the mozilla nss libs were located. I've got gnutls installed, which is supposed to be the prefered ssl support, but it refuses to work with it so I had to disable that as well. I'm so tired right now that I can't remember what else I had to do, but there was at least one other thing I had to do to get this far. Maybe that will at least give you an idea of some of the things to watch out for anyway.

It is the invariable habit of bureaucracies, at all times and everywhere, to assume...that every citizen is a criminal. Their one apparent purpose, pursued with a relentless and furious diligence, is to convert the assumption into a fact. They hunt endlessly for proofs, and, when proofs are lacking, for mere suspicions. The moment they become aware of a definite citizen, John Doe, seeking what is his right under the law, they begin searching feverishly for an excuse for withholding it from him.
~ H.L. Mencken
~ Thomas Paine

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

I got that libstartup-notification-1.a from Vector.
Successfully compiled.

I have uploaded gaim-1.5.0.tar.gz to ibiblio.org, in the pupget_packages-1 folder.
It needs to have libaudiofile-0.2.6 package installed, which you will also find in the pupget_packages-1 folder.

These will have to be downloaded and installed as alien packages by the PupGet package manager.
I've got the upgraded libfreetype installed, but that shouldn't matter ...hopefully.

Install libaudiofile first, but before that, go to /usr/lib and delete the current libaudiofile file/s -- it is a dummy file, just a symlink to libao, so doesn't actually work. This tricked the previous gaim into thinking that it is there, but it isn't actually used. gaim is configured to use "wavplay" for audio output.

The new Gaim may work with this dummy libaudiofile also, so you could try it without installing libaudiofile package.
But, I thought for Puppy 1.0.7 it is better to have the proper libaudiofile, as the dummy may upset other apps.

Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

I probably don't say this enough, but NICE WORK BARRY!!!

I was thinking of trying to compile a newer version of Gaim myself, as someone recently was asking about having it with all of the plugins. Nice to know it's already done.

Does the new package include the guifications plugin, I wonder?

Nathan

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Here are the plugins that came with the source package:

autorecon.so docklet.so extplacement.so gaim-remote.so gestures.so history.so
iconaway.so idle.so libgg.so libirc.so libjabber.so libmsn.so libnapster.so
libnovell.so liboscar.so libyahoo.so libzephyr.so notify.so relnot.so spellchk.so
ssl-gnutls.so ssl-nss.so ssl.so statenotify.so tcl.so ticker.so timestamp.so

But I guess it would be easy enough to add more later.
I think you just put them in the appropriate directory and gaim recognises them
automatically at startup.

However, the spellcheck and gnutls are dummies, disabled, at least I think so, as
Puppy doesn't have gtkspellcheck and gnutls.

Johnny Reb

#7 Post by Johnny Reb »

BarryK wrote:I got that libstartup-notification-1.a from Vector.
Successfully compiled.

I have uploaded gaim-1.5.0.tar.gz to ibiblio.org, in the pupget_packages-1 folder.
It needs to have libaudiofile-0.2.6 package installed, which you will also find in the pupget_packages-1 folder.
Barry, what all did you have to do to get it to compile besides the things I mentioned? It really confounded me on a couple of things because I had them installed on the computer, and they work, but the compiler would not recognize them even though I supplied the path to them. Tcl & Gnutls were two of them, and perl. I even downloaded the source for tcl & compiled it & the libs but it still refused to recognize them. Oh, and how did you get past the ld: cannot find -lstartup-notification-1 error? I could not find a reference to that on google or any other search engine. I'll probably go ahead and download the one you compiled, but I'd like to have another go at it in order to learn. While you can learn a lot from reading how to do something, it's no substitute for actually doing it, and I know I've got a lot to learn about compiling, so I'm compiling a lot of things that I really don't have any use for in order to learn. Of course gaim does not fall into the catagory of those that I don't have a use for.

"Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevents their history, and denies them their symbols, has sewn the seed of its own destruction." ~ Sir William Wallace 1281 A.D.

"One can always do what he wills to accomplish." ~ Stonewall Jackson

"Through life let your principal object be the discharge of duty." ~ Stonewall Jackson
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#8 Post by Johnny Reb »

BarryK wrote:Here are the plugins that came with the source package:
However, the spellcheck and gnutls are dummies, disabled, at least I think so, as Puppy doesn't have gtkspellcheck and gnutls.
If anyone should want gnutls, I've got it compiled and installed, and can make a dotpup of it. Just let me know, and I'll get it done as soon as I can.

"Their institutionalized world is a product of toil and discipline; of this they are no longer aware. Like the children of rich parents, they have been pampered by the labor and self-denial of those who went before; they begin to think that luxuries, though unearned, are rightfully theirs. They fret when their wishes are not gratified; they turn to cursing and abusing; they look for scapegoats." ~ Richard Weaver ~ The Southern Tradition at Bay

"It's one of the amusing features of our system that a really principled candidate always causes outrage when he threatens to make a real difference through sheer democratic appeal. This system has no room for principle."
~ Joseph Sobran
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#9 Post by Johnny Reb »

BarryK wrote:I got that libstartup-notification-1.a from Vector.
Successfully compiled.

Install libaudiofile first, but before that, go to /usr/lib and delete the current libaudiofile file/s -- it is a dummy file, just a symlink to libao, so doesn't actually work. This tricked the previous gaim into thinking that it is there, but it isn't actually used. gaim is configured to use "wavplay" for audio output.
I successfully compiled gaim the next time I worked on it. Had I not been so tired the night I made the original post in this thread I probably would have found the command to --disable-startup-notification.

Regardless, before I tried compiling again I went ahead and installed libaudiofile as an alien package, and the gaim you compiled. I ran into a problem with it not recognizing libaudiofile, and no matter what I tried gaim refused to recognize libaudiofile. The only thing I did not try was rebooting. When I compiled gaim though, it recognized libaudiofile. I just thought I'd let you know that there may be a possibe problem with that.

"Give me control over a nation's currency and I care not who makes its laws." ~ Baron M.A. Rothschild (1744 - 1812)

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
~ Frederic Bastiat - (1801-1850) in his book Economic Sophisms

"The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is eager to enter into close relationship with the Bank for International Settlements....The conclusion is impossible to escape that the State and Treasury Departments are willing to pool the banking system of Europe and America, setting up a world financial power independent of and above the Government of the United States....The United States under present conditions will be transformed from the most active of manufacturing nations into a consuming and importing nation with a balance of trade against it."
~ Rep. Louis McFadden - (Chairman of the House Committee on Banking and Currency) quoted in the New York Times (June 1930)
~ Thomas Paine