LDS Operating System

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Todd

LDS Operating System

#1 Post by Todd »

I am beginning work on LDS Operating System; LDS OS for short. My goal is to have a system that can be installed on computers being donated by the Church. I have never been much of a blogger, but my work area for this project is http://tbrichardson.info/. Right now I have Fat Free which I have customized and added Firefox to. Ttuuxxx found a wonderful geneology program (Ftree) that I will be installing next. I am going to re-install the CUPS printing system as well. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson

canerigal

#2 Post by canerigal »

Sounds very interesting. :D

I volunteer at a local Historical Research Society which presently has very old .. and very ...slow computers. Having a Puppy with a family tree program that has a very simple interface would be excellent.

Being able to import GEDCOMs created in Windows and then exporting them back to a Windows format would be important for us as we will have people that would also be doing temporary work at the centre and may have a Windows computer at home.

Good luck with your project - Sharon

MFMFMF

Family Search Indexing

#3 Post by MFMFMF »

I worked on a version of DSL linux that included Family Search Indexing. the idea was to have a disk you could just put in an old computer without installing anything. I got it working but I found that it wasn't the panacea I hoped--it didn't seem to breathe new life into old computers because the java runtime environment plus the Family search indexing were enough to bring an old computer to its knees even with a stripped down OS. That was a bit disheartening and I didn't pursue the project farther. Here's a link to my original goals [url]http:/feastupontheword.org/User:Matthewfaulconer/FSI_Start[/url]. Feel free to contact me by leaving a comment there if our interests cross in a way that suggests I can be of help.

KF6SNJ

#4 Post by KF6SNJ »

I can't speak for the LDS OS project itself, but as a fellow puplet developer, I would encourage you stick around. We are a community of Puppy Linux enthusiasts. As such, we talk things out and we work on ideas and solutions to some of the oddest and trickest things imaginable. We've got guys who have managed to get KDE packages to work on Puppy without the need for KDE. Likewise with Gnome. For some of us, it is our passion. I give thanks to the Lord God for BarryK and this distribution he originally created. It is BarryK who, in a very real way, created this community. Stick around and share your ideas. They could find thier way into several puplets. I have puppy running on several computers here, many of them dinosaurs by today's standards. Puppy indeed breathes new life into old machines and won't bring them down. We are here to share and learn.

I am certain that todd and others would greatly appreciate your input. Welcome.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

Todd

#5 Post by Todd »

I am certain that todd and others would greatly appreciate your input. Welcome.
I completely agree with KF6SNJ. I have found Puppy to be an incredible distribution and community. I don't know if LDSOS will fly, but I feel safe trying within the community.

Todd

P.S.: I really am liking Ftree.

MFMFMF

Thanks

#6 Post by MFMFMF »

Thanks Todd and KF6SNJ. It does seem like a nice community. Happy to help where I can, though I suspect I'll be receiving more help than offering it given my abilities :)

KF6SNJ

#7 Post by KF6SNJ »

When creating puplets, there is a lot of both give and take. We learn from one another. That is how this community works. Again welcome.
The only windows I have are those on my home.