t2-to-puppy support scripts

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

t2-to-puppy support scripts

#1 Post by BarryK »

Kirk has recently been playing with T2, Ted Dog a earlier on. A couple of other guys also have had a go.

T2 creates a heap of raw binary packages, we then have the chore of converting those into Puppy packages and to build the 'devx' file.

I wrote some scripts to help with this, and have now collected them and included a README, attached. Also the README is reproduced here:

---------------------
These scripts with '0' to '3' prefix, I wrote back when I compiled T2 and
created the first build that was to become Puppy 4.00.

It has been awhile since I have looked at these scripts, and they will
definitely need improving/updating.

For a start, you will have to change the paths to suit your setup.

I now favour a different way of creating the 'puppy-devx' folder:
I think it is better for the scripts to create all the split packages
in puppy-unleashed/packages, for example:

abiword-1.2.3
abiword_DEV-1.2.3
abiword_NLS-1.2.3
abiword_DOC-1.2.3

However, for those cases where a package will go totally into the
'puppy-devx', then just have the entire package named appropriately,
for example:

automake_DEV-1.2.3

puppy-unleashed/createpuppy script already has the mechanism to aid with
building the 'puppy-devx' from the _DEV packages:
'on' _DEV packages, or any 'on' normal package that also has a _DEV package,
are copied to puppy-unleashed/devx-extra.

The script 'create-devx_xxx.sfs.sh' copies the contents of puppy-unleashed/devx-extra into puppy-devx, then builds the devx_xxx.sfs.

In my system, the layout is:

puppy-development/
create-devx_xxx.sfs.sh puppy-devx/ puppy-unleashed/

Barry Kauler
August 2008
Attachments
t2-to-puppy-scripts.tar.gz
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 805 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

ttuuxxx

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

Excellent Barry thanks for the scripts, They will come in handy :wink:
I'll use them as soon as I get back into T2
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

Thanks Barry!!

Can't wait to check this out.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Thanks, any other [useful] scripts polished or not, would be great. I've been able to compile T2 kernel and all but a small number <4 of the programs using the raw T2 but could never 'finish' combining them into a working puppy redux.
I'll pour over the code, and try again. And to think I wiped all the multiple hundreds of GigaBytes of resulting T2 files supporting multiple CPUs /PPC64 T2 efforts just two weeks ago, @#@!##@^^%$.
Cool weather is about 3 months away, Then I'll fire-up the dozen or so heat producing computers stashed away and try my motley crew of compiler farms as space-heaters once again.

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

Thanks Barry, thought you would have made some scripts to do that. For my pentium3 T2 puppy, I just made a main sfs and devx sfs by hand. I'll have to check out the scripts when I get back home next week.

cb88

#6 Post by cb88 »

thats what im talking bout :-) you rock!

thanks a bunch barry i really need to get that svn working ...so little free time though :-(

also you may be interested in knowing that glibc 2.6 took over 4+ hours to build on my system im building PII optimised with the sources from ibiblio

@ted dog you shouldn't gloat about your compile farm in the presence of lowly PII users.... LOL
Edit: *shouldn't X.x
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

cb88

#7 Post by cb88 »

worked on script 1 a bit so the user can change the paths with out messing in the script

will probably do the same on the others later
Attachments
t2-to-puppy-scripts.tar
(40 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

technosaurus

#8 Post by technosaurus »

how are you guys going about this?

I am up in the air whether to use:
1. puppy + devx + unleashed + 3.1MB T2 environment addon + these scripts

or

2. Full T2 environment + these scripts + try to get the puppy stuff

It kinda seems like option 1 would make it easier to retain its "puppiness" but I am interested to hear any feedback before I endeavor further on my quest for a rolling puppy release with the latest kernel and packages

cb88

#9 Post by cb88 »

T2 8.0 trunk was broken when i checked it out.... and Im not 1337 enough to figure out why... basically it failed to compile glibc in phase 1 (the second pass)

The full T2 environment (as of about 10-1-08 or so is about a 5gb download)
which you get after running the ./scripts/Download -all in the T2 directory

the puppy T2 core source it about 1gb and only contains the minimum required source but it is source from last year with only a few updates and fixes

The process to build T2 puppy is more like this:
start with a distro that fully supports all the tools needed by T2 (such as puppy 4.0 HD install w/ devx extracted manually or slackware 12.1 in my case) >>
install the T2 environment somewhere (doesn't really matter must be on a linux partition though not fat32 or ntfs AFAIK) >>
configure T2 with the piglet001 profile (in barry's T2 package ) >>
if all goes well (which it mostly does with barry's patched source ...not so with the svn version) you will get .tar.bz2 packages >>
process these packages with the t2-to-puppy scripts (somewhere along the way you will probably need to manually edit these packages to cut down their size etc... )

mysticmarks

t2

#10 Post by mysticmarks »

I've got trunk 8.0 working fine. i've run into the failure to build target issues addressed elsewhere in the forum. I was originally going to remaster puppy, but i've been experimenting a bit with some options in my mind.

@BarryK - I was curious about exactly what scripts are used for boot time processes and config. I would like to go through the scripts and examine how you've structured the persistence in puppy. In all honesty barry, its brilliant. So I don't want to reinvent the wheel[well ok i actually do ;) ], but have taken a look at some other programs that have been designed for a variety of systems which i feel when incorporated into puppy would greatly enhance useability for the below average user.

I recently ran the live cd for the latest linux mint and although ubuntu is fine for most, its not my fav [obviously puppy is ;) ]. I did however find that linux mint team has modified the package management a bit into a tabbed installer that will deal with rpm, deb, etc. i would like to reverse engineer this system and integrate pet installs with it. Moreover, I need to examine the scripst as i want to modify many, and would like to talk with you and others about making a script for this program so that it will interpret the deb rpm etc, and install them to the correct puppy directories. (a real universal puppy installer with well maintained repos built by others easily useable.) let me know. thanks.

cb88

#11 Post by cb88 »

where were these failure to build issues addressed?

My checkout kept failing at glibc in stage 1

mysticmarks

build err

#12 Post by mysticmarks »

Can't locate Carp.pm in @INC

(i downloaded the entire trunk and installed from the standard full t2)

i HAVE NOT used any of barry's material, as i dont know exacly what I need since i have the full t2 already.

I have gone into the default config and setup for a x86 cross compile. That downloaded EVERYTHING required to buildany desktop for cross arch.(ie.- ALL WM, graphics, etc)

I was originally intending just to do a i686 optimized, but heck why not.

@BarryK- Can i just move the piglet 001 scripts and associated files onto my t2 install, and modifiy for the arch change to rebuild this crossarch puppy, or will that matter at all? Also, if i dont install a bunch of the puppy files and replace them with various other utilities, will any dependancies for these new programs be downloaded and over write existing ones? Do you believe that it could corrupt any critical puppy files that i should be aware of? I wouldn't want to screw up the build on something that should be obvious [if I was Mr. Barry K ;) ] Would you also explain or link to the explaination of the devx file, and what it currently contains, as well as anything you recently have decided to incorporate as a part of that file at boot time. I would sincerely like to make this something we can all be proud of. :)
And lastly could you drop a link to the solutions for common build problems. I downloaded the pdf manual, but didnt get far with that, and the FAQ was really lacking @ t2.

cb88

#13 Post by cb88 »

mysticmarks

what revision was your checkout? so you are saying that you actually got t2 to build?

mysticmarks

build

#14 Post by mysticmarks »

@cb88- No, I have all source required for cross arch build and build time fails at noted info above(its failing building perl). I'm working on it though. ;)

mysticmarks

build err

#15 Post by mysticmarks »

Im failing the build at autoconf (4 of 604 pkgs in my setup)

help!

ttuuxxx

Re: build err

#16 Post by ttuuxxx »

mysticmarks wrote:Im failing the build at autoconf (4 of 604 pkgs in my setup)

help!
Try this
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mysticmarks

thanks

#17 Post by mysticmarks »

ttuuxxx, thanks for the suggestion. I'm using t2 full install, so im using CLI and wouldnt know where to begin with using a puppy file in it. i guess its time to tak a look at what barry posted at the beginning of this thread and see if it helps at all.

technosaurus

#18 Post by technosaurus »

@mysticmarks - I was almost certain that would be your response when I read the suggestion - you could always try the pet2tgz or pet2dir scripts on it and install it from puppy by mounting your T2 partition. Seems like a bit of a hassle but its the easiest way I could think of.

mysticmarks

re

#19 Post by mysticmarks »

Ah, now I see what you mean. I will certainly try that. (I wonder if because im bulding t2 off 7rc2 and using a newer kernel w/ cross arch if it will become an issue?)

@BarryK & Techno- Do you guys think I would have an issue using puppy to dl the build source? I thought that the T2 manual and software states explicitly that there are sub bindings in the build process, and you have to use the T2 scripts to add and remove from the build or you would get errors.

technosaurus

#20 Post by technosaurus »

@mystic - Sounds like you are about where I left off before I went back to work on the Puppy Web Desktop.... Which is trying to get a rolling release Puppy using Barry's archives at ibiblio with the "hard to find sources". Unfortunately many updated versions of these programs lack a reliable and easily located location for the latest/stable source code AFAIK - I'd be happy to be wrong and GPL compliant of course.