how to get Orinoco wireless to scan with WAG?

Using applications, configuring, problems
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

Some new information about your Orinoco Classic Gold cards - some of these, model number 8410 apparently, had a newer version of the Hermes chipset which WON'T WORK with the orinoco_cs driver. This might explain your problems with some of your Classic Gold cards.

In the discovery process, I found the correct Linux driver for these cards, at http://www.agere.com/mobility/wireless_lan_drivers.html
I may eventually compile this driver.

In the meantime, you should be able to try the new orinoco driver with your Netgear MA401 (Prism2) and maybe your Linksys WPC11 v3 (Prism3).
... but not your Dell TrueMobile 1300b/g (Broadcom) nor Proxim a/b (Atheros).

peppyy

#22 Post by peppyy »

The V3 now scans and seems to work fine until I try to connect to a cell. Whenever I click on one it just starts flashing and must be ejected phisically and reset before I can get it to respond again. I am working from a HD install of 1.0.5 that I am not too worried about.

Do I have to install the wifi-beta2 ?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

keenerd might know more about the nuances of WAG that may be causing this problem, or it could just be that your Prism3-based WPC11 v3 is not fully compatible with the orinoco driver. Orinoco is an older driver, and officially only supports Prism2 devices.
peppyy wrote:Do I have to install the wifi-beta2 ?
Yes, you could consider the wifi-1.0.4-beta-2 package, which uses ndiswrapper. You would use this instead of the orinoco driver, not in addition to.

But since you're already comfortable with adding extra resources to Puppy why not try the optimum driver for Prism3-based adaptors - HostAP. It's here - http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/wireless/

keenerd-not-logged-in

#24 Post by keenerd-not-logged-in »

Peppyy, could you run /usr/local/WAG/debug ?

It will launch WAG. Use WAG just as you described, make it crash. Then exit WAG, and upload /usr/local/WAG/debug.txt to the forum.

Peppyy on 7

#25 Post by Peppyy on 7 »

keenerd-not-logged-in wrote:Peppyy, could you run /usr/local/WAG/debug ?

It will launch WAG. Use WAG just as you described, make it crash. Then exit WAG, and upload /usr/local/WAG/debug.txt to the forum.

Code: Select all

loading user data
starting diagnostics
	cardctl test
	wide angle iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

dhcpcd test
	wifi beta test
ls: /root/.etc/rc.d/*wireless*: No such file or directory
	root user test
	scan test
	ap test
	ip test
forming output
generating buttons
xmessage main dialog
running user action
	action: scan
	action: affect scan
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
    SET failed on device eth0 ; Device or resource busy.
loading user data
starting diagnostics
	cardctl test
	wide angle iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

dhcpcd test
	wifi beta test
ls: /root/.etc/rc.d/*wireless*: No such file or directory
	root user test
	scan test
	ap test
	ip test
forming output
generating buttons
xmessage main dialog
running user action
	action: null

As you see no wifibeta yet.

peppyy

#26 Post by peppyy »

I actually ended up with a couple of the same V3 cards and thought I would try them all. They react differently in slot 0 and slot 1. I can't eject or reseat from 0 but I can from 1 until I scan and then I have to remove the card and refresh WAG before starting over.

Even when reporting active they do not find anything untol dhcpcd is on and they are already connected. The only cards I have been able to scan with ar the ones using Ndiswrapper.

I have not installed wifibeta or pearl on this machine, just the new drivers.
Does that help?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

I think you should go back a step. Troubleshoot your hardware/drivers before troubleshooting applications like WAG.

After "modprobe orinoco_cs" (or ndiswrapper, or hostap_cs, or whatever) run "iwconfig". Can you see a valid interface?
If no, your driver is not working, change driver.
If yes, run "iwlist eth0 scan" (or wlan0). If this works, you know the driver is working and supports scanning. Now you can try WAG.

keenerd

#28 Post by keenerd »

Actually, I can tell a lot about his hardware from the WAG diagnostic.

First up, your differences between slot 0 and slot 1: You need to tell WAG which your card uses, since autodecting the proper slot is tricky. You tell WAG to use slot 0, and it will eject/insert from slot 0 just fine. Read the "Help" button.

Now, going through your diagnostics line by line:

The "wide angle iwconfig" is just typing "iwconfig" at the command line.
It says "lo" is your only interface. You don't have any sort of functional drivers. You don't have anything to connect wirelessly to. You'll have more luck trying to boot a Puppy CD on a computer without a CD-ROM drive.

"ls: /root/.etc/rc.d/*wireless*: No such file or directory"
You don't have wifi-beta installed, since it generates this file.

"Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :"
" SET failed on device eth0 ; Device or resource busy."
I'm just amused by this one. I presume you also have an ethernet jack on this computer? WAG just tried to set its frequency :)

Then it just repeats itself.

So, running "iwconfig" is giving you nothing. Your driver isn't working.

tempestuous

#29 Post by tempestuous »

peppyy, you seem to have such a "smorgasbord" of wifi adaptors that, even though I'm not a fan of ndiswrapper, I suggest that wifi-beta2 is possibly the best wifi driver package for you - a large collection of drivers (albeit Windows drivers) in one convenient package.

Regarding the new orinoco driver - I would use it for Orinoco-based adaptors only ... even though it has limited compatibility with Prism2 devices. And I'm referring to Orinoco CHIPSETS, not the Orinoco BRAND NAME. Orinoco (the brand name) is associated with Wavelan, Proxim, Lucent, Agere, and Symbol.
This messy situation is explained here - http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tou ... inoco.html

Orinoco (the brand name) may contain chipsets by one of several different manufacturers.
To find out what chip is in what device, see here - http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

Peppyy on 7

#30 Post by Peppyy on 7 »

If I were to remove the linux driver completely and modprobe the xp driver wouldn't it treat the card like all the rest? This card is reported to scan under xp. Might try that and see what happens.

tempestuous

#31 Post by tempestuous »

I presume you're talking about the new orinoco driver - orinoco_cs, and your Linksys WPC11 v3 adaptor.
peppyy wrote:...remove the linux driver completely
No need to remove (delete) the orinoco driver, just don't load it, and check that Puppy hasn't automatically loaded it, by running "lsmod". If it is loaded, then unload it like this - "rmmod orinoco_cs". Now you're ready to use the wifi-beta2 drivers.
peppyy wrote:and modprobe the xp driver
You cannot modprobe a Windows driver. The Windows driver is first installed by ndiswrapper/wifi-beta2, then you modprobe ndiswrapper.
This process is automated to some some extent, I believe, by wifi-beta2. See wifi-beta2's instructions.
peppyy wrote:wouldn't it treat the card like all the rest?
I don't understand the question. Are you asking if scanning will work? ndiswrapper fully supports scanning.

peppyy

#32 Post by peppyy »

I got the orinoco to scan. Is it possible that the new linux driver orinoco_cs did not take effect until I did
rmmod orinoco-cs
rmmod orinoco
rmmod hermes
re-seated the card
dhcp toggle
scan and all the sudden there
are 4 networks available
I know that the last 3 are my neighbor so it is actually only 2 but could this have done the trick?

I am going to try it on another PupTop to make sure or try it with a live cd.

Edit, refering to the orinoco classig gold card with the antenna jack with an antenna connected. Sorry about any confusion.
Attachments
scan4.jpg
(49.4 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

peppyy

#33 Post by peppyy »

Sorry but I can't resist this'
My home connection. this is as fast as my dsl modem will run.
3005k or just over 3 meg/sec on my 4 meg modem.
Connected to my neighbor 300+ feet away across the road through several walls. 1269k or 1.25 meg/sec and he has a 1 meg modem.

This is why I wanted to get these cards to scan. With a range extender I can now stream live from the events hall next door on a PupTop.

Speed tests provided by host rocket via toast.net
Attachments
speed-home.jpg
my speed
(23.94 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
speed-kip.jpg
neighbors house
(22.14 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!