Macpup Dingo

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#141 Post by runtt21 »

I dont know what asapm is , but does it have a menu entry ? You will need to edit .wbar file in the root folder to add it to wbar(thats the dock). It will need three lines added to that file , One is the command to run the app, One for the app icon, and one for the app name. Look at the other apps to see what I mean. To see that File click on the eye ball in the rox tool bar.

KF6SNJ

#142 Post by KF6SNJ »

While this perhaps more of a hardware issue, I am wondering if MacPup will run on genuine macintosh hardware. I am curious because one of the techs at work gave me a macintosh that is no longer needed. However they told me that if it has a hard drive that I was to completely wipe it.

Any thoughts?
The only windows I have are those on my home.

prit1

#143 Post by prit1 »

I am not sure. Someone once had started building a Puppy for Mac hardware. Don't know what happened to that.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

WhoDo

#144 Post by WhoDo »

KF6SNJ wrote:While this perhaps more of a hardware issue, I am wondering if MacPup will run on genuine macintosh hardware. I am curious because one of the techs at work gave me a macintosh that is no longer needed. However they told me that if it has a hard drive that I was to completely wipe it.

Any thoughts?
Not if it is the Motorola-powered Mac hardware. iMac's should be no major problem, although PowerPC's were definitely problematic. Ubuntu used to release a whole different version for them, so you can imagine it wasn't a case of a few tweaks here and there.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

spcwingo

#145 Post by spcwingo »

runtt21 wrote:I dont know what asapm is , but does it have a menu entry ? You will need to edit .wbar file in the root folder to add it to wbar(thats the dock). It will need three lines added to that file , One is the command to run the app, One for the app icon, and one for the app name. Look at the other apps to see what I mean. To see that File click on the eye ball in the rox tool bar.
Thanks for the response. To answer the question of what it is...it's the tray battery applet. There is no menu entry for this one. I just tried running it from the terminal...it ran, but wouldn't dock to the tray with the free mem applet, network applet, etc. I've only been using Linux for a couple of months now (I refuse to pay for the abortion called vista) so I have a lot to learn yet so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

runtt21

tray battery

#146 Post by runtt21 »

" the tray battery applet" I think you need to put something like that on the icewm task bar at the top by the memory and network . I am not sure how to set that up but you will need to add something in the .icewm folder in root.

mrd

#147 Post by mrd »

Any hints on which file is the "IceWM startup file"?

Thanks...

spcwingo

#148 Post by spcwingo »

mrd wrote:Any hints on which file is the "IceWM startup file"?

Thanks...
The location of the icewm startup file is:

/root/.icewm/startup

mrd

#149 Post by mrd »

Thanks!

spcwingo

#150 Post by spcwingo »

Okay, I'm sure ya'll are getting tired of me already :) , but I have another question. How do I change the menu button icon? I've looked through the /root/.icewm folder and the /usr/share/icewm folder and couldn't make heads or tails of it all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrd

#151 Post by mrd »

OK... I was able to get my problems fixed with the helpful suggestions that everyone made. Below are the details for anyone else having the same issue (black box on screen after boot and gray box around wbar). I just increased the sleep and added some sleeps in 2 files.

/root/.icewm
#!/bin/bash
# this script is executed by starticewm when IceWM starts

killall icesound
sleep 1 icesound &
killall icewmtray
sleep 1 icewmtray &
killall blinky
sleep 2 && /root/my-applications/blinky-0.8-icewm/src/blinky -bg "#D3D2D3" &
killall freememapplet-tray
sleep 3 && /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &

/root/.xinitrc (this is a hidden file, press Ctrl-H in rox to show this). >
sleep 5 && wbar.

Now I'd just like to get the asapm applet running on the top bar next to the clock. Someone described adding it to the wbar, but I think it would be better on top if anyone knows how to get it to appear there.

runtt21

#152 Post by runtt21 »

About this asapm applet of yours, is this something you want to run all the time or just something to check once in a while?

mrd

#153 Post by mrd »

I was actually talking about the battery meter that seems to be available on the system by default. If you type "asapm" it launches a small app that keeps track of the battery power and of course the ac power if the system is plugged in. I can launch it as another post in this thread mentioned but I want it to appear on the top right near the clock after startup on my laptop.

Any hints how to get it to appear there?

Thanks!

spcwingo

#154 Post by spcwingo »

mrd wrote:I was actually talking about the battery meter that seems to be available on the system by default. If you type "asapm" it launches a small app that keeps track of the battery power and of course the ac power if the system is plugged in. I can launch it as another post in this thread mentioned but I want it to appear on the top right near the clock after startup on my laptop.

Any hints how to get it to appear there?

Thanks!
I've been trying to get it going too, but have found out that I'm too new to Linux to figure it out. If anyone has any tips or tricks to get this going, please post.

_MegadetH_

#155 Post by _MegadetH_ »

Will be out a macpup based on puppy linux 4.1?
Does mac style graphic affect the system? Anybody knows how many mb in ram does it takes after loading destkop without running any program?

runtt21

#156 Post by runtt21 »

Will be out a macpup based on puppy linux 4.1?
Does mac style graphic affect the system? Anybody knows how many mb in ram does it takes after loading destkop without running any program?
Macpup foxy 2.0 will be based on 4.1.1 it will be out in about a month or so, foxy 1.5 will be out soon it is based on 4.0 just like macpup dingo and the first macpup foxy . Macpup dingo run as lite as the other puppys under 100 mb ram ,Foxy is bigger and uses a bit more.

martin_e

#157 Post by martin_e »

Random thank you to all involved in this derivative.

A gift of a useless Thinkpad 240 has become useful, and very pretty. Amazing that volunteers can put together a system which made the installed Windows look appalling and act even less appealingly, having to get a null modem cable and port the USB drivers to Windows so I could dump the MacPup install files was by far the most annoying part of the install!

I'm a *nix old hand, and I'm sure that my new-found ability to play around with it in the pub or on the train will mean I'll be able to contribute more to this forum in the near future.

Ta!

The Freemem tray applet was creating empty windows on my initial setup - but changing the sleep to 6 in the startup file solved it... BTW until my new memory shows up in the post I'm running a full install successfully - and reasonably happily (apart from installing pets - which are s...l...o..........w) on 64M!

... wow!