Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Sep 2014, 07:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Psword-0.7 gtkdialog bible reading software
Page 2 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2008, 09:54    Post subject:  

All it does is keep trying and trying and trying. The only error message is connection time out. It does connect to the crosswire site. That is about the best I can tell you. I am uncertain that a screen shot will be of any additional help.

Any rate, I have to get going. I have to get to work. I drive forklift for a living.

plinej

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2008, 10:48    Post subject:  

I'm really not sure why it won't work for you. It would be really helpful if you could start psword from rxvt and post all the messages that are in the terminal when you try to download a module. What is the path shown in the box "Select your sword module directory"? To get the ESV module the command that will be executed is:

Code:

#wget www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/packages/rawzip/ESV.zip

That will download to /tmp and will be extracted to your sword module path.

I'll be implementing a different way to download newer or beta modules that will parse the rss feeds at crosswire. I'll work on that today and will hopefully have a 0.4 version out sometime soon.
plinej

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2008, 13:58    Post subject:  

0.4 is up.

This version will parse crosswire's rss feeds for new and beta modules.

You guys will have to help me out with the map request since I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Maybe post a link to a map?
Jim1911

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2008, 15:42    Post subject:  

plinej

Psword-0.4 program looks promising, thanks,
Jim
steve_s

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 16:44    Post subject:  

This is a little old thread, but hopefully it is still somewhat live.

plinej: I love this idea! I've used esword before, so very glad to see a puppy version...

I downloaded the "pet's" but they download as .exe files...am I doing something wrong?

Also, if want to manually add a sword module, do you have a recomended site to download those? Thanks!
plinej

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 21:04    Post subject:  

I'm not sure how downloading the dotpets would make them ".exe" files. The are certainly dotpets and not windows executables. I don't have any sites in mind for other sword modules. Are there other repositories besides crosswire?
steve_s

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2008, 11:38    Post subject:  

plinej wrote:
I'm not sure how downloading the dotpets would make them ".exe" files. The are certainly dotpets and not windows executables. I don't have any sites in mind for other sword modules. Are there other repositories besides crosswire?

Hmmm....don't know why it did, either. I was using a different version of Linux when I downloaded it last time...I just now downloaded it and it worked fine, so no worries.

Crosswire was what I was trying to find out from you...is this the place to get new modules? Just confirming.

Since I will be installing the modules manually, is there a particular folder that I need to put them in? Or can the program find them ok if I just save them all to one folder? Thanks.
plinej

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2008, 20:31    Post subject:  

Psword will download and install modules from crosswire from within the program. The default location for modules is /usr/share/sword/ but you will see that you can change that from within the Psword gui.
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov 2008, 00:00    Post subject:  

[quote="ttuuxxx"]
plinej wrote:
Oh by the way do the map files work on here also like Bibletime,? I don't use them, but I'm sure others might.
ttuuxxx

A map can be helpful while working on a good exegetical study. Do you realize how many people don't know that Bethlehem is really in Palestine and not Israel? Maps are useful for things like that.

tom4jesus

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 01:36    Post subject:  

I hope this project is still alive, any new versions or development? Very Happy

My suggestion would be for it to somehow display the text within the width of the screen, like word wrap.
On my screen the verses are one long sentence and I have to scroll over to the right to read it all. It would be easier to just scroll up and down.

It is a nice simple reader and I really like it for a quick way to read the word.

One other thought maybe an option to use different fonts and sizes.

Blessings in the Lord,
Tom
steve_s

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 15:49    Post subject:  

tom4jesus wrote:
I hope this project is still alive, any new versions or development? Very Happy

My suggestion would be for it to somehow display the text within the width of the screen, like word wrap.
On my screen the verses are one long sentence and I have to scroll over to the right to read it all. It would be easier to just scroll up and down.

It is a nice simple reader and I really like it for a quick way to read the word.

One other thought maybe an option to use different fonts and sizes.

Blessings in the Lord,
Tom

...I don't know about development directly on the puppy psword part of it. As far as the text wrapping, I had just cut and pasted it to abiword...I agree that some setting on that would be helpful, but it's a good tool to have either way...nothing like having quick easy resources on my little laptop regardless of whether I'm online or not...
plinej

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 15:55    Post subject:  

I haven't done any development on it since version 0.4 but I agree about the text wrapping. I've got some ideas to try out.
plinej

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 16:08    Post subject:  

In the meantime you could just click on the export button which will export the output to abiword. It is designed so you can print from there but it will display without having to scroll to the right.
dawnsboy

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 19:10    Post subject:  

Quote:
haven't done any development on it since version 0.4 but I agree about the text wrapping. I've got some ideas to try out.

That would be fantastic! I don't have Abiword anymore (small disk volume and I use google docs most of the time anyway). I greatly appreciate a word wrap feature. Thanks for sharing this great little app.
plinej

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 21:25    Post subject:  

I've made another option that will allow to view in geany which automatically wraps lines. I'm trying to figure out how to make it wrap in gtkdialog though.
Page 2 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: