Multisession 1.0.6 fails to boot after saving

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
kwhitefoot

Multisession 1.0.6 fails to boot after saving

#1 Post by kwhitefoot »

Looks like an interesting solution.

By the way I bought a pack of Sony DVD-Rs today and tried puppy multisession 1.0.6. Again it fails to boot after saving.

Rats! Does anyone else have the problem that the CD or DVD won't boot after saving a new session? If so are there any workarounds? My hardware is as follows:

IBM T42p laptop,
IGB ram
1.8GHz Intel CPU
Matshita DVD multi recorder

The files all seem to be saved so why won't the DVD boot anymore?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Seen this?

Ted guest Dog

#3 Post by Ted guest Dog »

sounds more to due with the combo drive not reading the second session.

IBM T42p laptop

laptops support are very poor conserning multisessions. My laptop can not read second session and will thrash (bad clicking sound) and halt at the reseting IDE in boot code, in both CD and DVD's. If you can boot the laptop with windowsXP put the DVD after windows explorer and see if a folder labelled the burn date exists. If it does then the v1.06 did save back. If it is viewable on a desktop version of XP but not on your laptop then it is the laptops DVD. Find If a upgrade to the DVD-RW fireware exists that fixes the problem.

kwhitefoot

#4 Post by kwhitefoot »

I can see all the files in the other sessions. I used the save button once. Which saved one folder and then rebooted which saved another. No problem seeing the files if I boot puppy from USB or another cd or dvd. The problem is simply that the bios can't find the operating system. This laptop burns multisession disks without any trouble in WinXP and as far as I can see it does so in puppy too except that what was a bootable disk ceases to be so when the second session is written. This happens for both CD-R and DVD-R.

kwhitefoot

#5 Post by kwhitefoot »

Forgot to say: had exactly the same experience with 1.0.5.

Perhaps someone can explain what makes a DVD or CD bootable.

guest DOG

boots to what level.

#6 Post by guest DOG »

How far along does it get? Does it start throwing messages to the screen then stop at a point never to go on. Or, does it switch to HD-boot since CDROM was not bootable :?:

kwhitefoot

#7 Post by kwhitefoot »

It doesn't get anywhere. Like I said the BIOS reports that it can't find the operating system. The disk was bootable to begin with but when puppy saves another session it ceases to be bootable. The session is saved and all the files are visible.

kethd

#8 Post by kethd »

There is a fundamental problem/limitation with Multi-Session CDs.
It is a computer issue, that has nothing to do with Puppy per se.
Some computers will not boot a MS CD that has more than one session -- but WILL boot the CD when it has just one session.
If your MS CD boots the first time, but fails to boot after the first session save, you may have this problem. To find out if you do, take the problem CD to another computer that you KNOW can boot MS CDs. Or, test the computer by trying another MS bootable CD, from a different computer, that you KNOW has multiple sessions and does boot.

kwhitefoot

#9 Post by kwhitefoot »

Ah, thanks. Does anyone have a list of computers that will boot multisession CDs? And, naturally, those that won't.

Won't includes: IBM a21p, IBM T42p. Those are all I have with CD writers. I'll try making another multisession CD and see if it will boot on my other old machines before and after writing the second session.

Ted Dog

wont' Compaq Presario 1200us

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

add to not ms list