ThinkPad 600 display problems

Using applications, configuring, problems
wetterau

ThinkPad 600 display problems

#1 Post by wetterau »

Hi, loving Puppy on my desktop. It gets better with each release. Have been unable to get ThinkPad display working.
1. Tried latest cd-puppy-Xfree download and it hung on boot.
2. Tried the xorg.conf changes after installing xorg.zip and was able to get a flickering display with strange fonts. Was unable to get rid of the flicker with various entries in the xorg.conf file. Had trouble upgrading to puppy 1.06 as well.
3. I tried the frame buffer modules and was able to get a stable display (no flicker) but it was nearly unreadable in strange colors that I was unable to change with various settings in the frame buffer wizard.

So, 3 strikes, out.
DSL works perfectly with the frame buffer option, but I would much rather use Puppy. Has anyone been successful with the ThinkPad 600 or 600e? Thanks.

keenerd-not-logged-in

#2 Post by keenerd-not-logged-in »

I'm using a Thinkpad 600E right now. Puppy's default kdrive works slightly, but not very well. The Xorg works perfectly.

There are several models, of 600/600E, some work better than others. Clock speed seems to be the easiest way to tell them apart. (I have a 600E with a P2 at 400Mhz)

wetterau

#3 Post by wetterau »

keenerd, thanks for your response. I have both a 600 and a 600e, both PII's, so I should be able to get xorg working if I keep at it.

#4 Post by Guest »

I have had great luck with the 600e's by setting the resoloution to 1024x786x16 and only have a tiny strip of extra pixels on the right side of the screen. 1.0.4 through 1.0.6 all work fine on the 366mhz 600e. 2645-4AU models.

I have a toshiba that I needed xfree with the meomagic driver to get it to boot but all my thinkpads have been no problem.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

Guest, might you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

That might help others.
Thanks, Mark

1ColdBeer

#6 Post by 1ColdBeer »

Hi,

You may find some help for your xorg.conf HERE.

Good luck....
Visit my [url=http://waltonpond.com]Backyard[/url] cam. Try [url=http://mepis.org]Mepis Linux[/url] today! See my avitar's[url=http://pupview.com]NEW PUPPIES HERE[/url]

peppyy

#7 Post by peppyy »

Sorry, me=Guest I tend not to login when I am testing.
Guest, might you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
I don't have a rile by that name on my 600e. Did you want the one from the toshiba?

My etc/videomode file is

Code: Select all

0x0117 1024x768x16
if that helps any.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

MU

#8 Post by MU »

600e

I think I read several postings of problems with it.
Would be nice to have a working conf.

Mark

wetterau

#9 Post by wetterau »

just to follow up: I tried the configuration listed in 1coldbeer's link. It did not work on my 600. I don't have the use of the 600e at the moment and can't try it on that machine. After changing the xconf.org file with mp and entering the command xwin, the system pauses for a few seconds and comes back to the command prompt. This didn't happen with 1.0.5 if I remember correctly, so perhaps the xorg zip approach doesn't work with 1.0.6. Thanks for all the suggestions.

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

Over at the DamnSmallLinux forum Thinkpad 600's are problematic too. Their solution is to boot with the option "fb800x600" ... but their distribution already includes the necessary Xfbdev xserver.
In Puppy, you would need to add this xserver from the pupget packages, and if you're going to go to this trouble you might as well add a more powerful xserver.

xorg should work for you once you get the magic settings right in your configuration ... but there's a smaller package that I found works great with NeoMagic adaptors - the XF86_SVGA X-server.

Two tips -
1. As well as xf86_svga-3.3.6.tar.gz, you also need xfree-4.3.0.tar.gz from the Pupget download site.
2. In /root/.etc/X11/XF86Config the keyword "DefaultDepth" is wrong, and your xserver won't launch until you change it to "defaultcolordepth" (without the quotation marks) ... or alternatively edit /usr/X11R6/bin/xwin to include "-bpp 16" like this -
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -bpp 16 > /tmp/xerrs.txt 2>&1

keenerd

#11 Post by keenerd »

I have had great luck with the 600e's by setting the resoloution to 1024x786x16 and only have a tiny strip of extra pixels on the right side of the screen.
I strongly suggest you install Xorg anyway. Save your work, and press Control+Alt+Backspace. This will quit X and drop you off at the command line.

If you have the "strip of extra pixels" in X, chances are your prompt is a blank blue screen. Blindly type "startx" and you should be back in your window manager.

The neomagic BSoD is really bad, especially for newbies that can't see Puppy's friendly reminder about startx/xwin.

peppyy

#12 Post by peppyy »

I strongly suggest you install Xorg anyway. Save your work, and press Control+Alt+Backspace. This will quit X and drop you off at the command line.

If you have the "strip of extra pixels" in X, chances are your prompt is a blank blue screen. Blindly type "startx" and you should be back in your window manager.
This is correct however when first booting, the display works fine and the entire boot sequence is viewable fullscreen. I have to restart x on on ocassion using that method because of a problem with drag-n-drop in fvwm95 and that is exactly what happens.

Works fine for me, I just can't get enough of this os and really can't stand it when I need something from my win machine.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!