How I got Asus Eee PC sound to work in 3.01

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
nibl

How I got Asus Eee PC sound to work in 3.01

#1 Post by nibl »

I found out how to get sound working on the Asus Eee PC.

First, Thanks to Tempestuous, one of his previous posts got me on the right track for testing, once I knew which module to search for in the forum, i.e. snd-hda-intel.

Here is what to do:

- Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add this line:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig

- Reboot (saving settings)

- Set volume by clicking menu Multimedia/Puppy Sound Mixer

Puppy should now have audible sound playback :-)

Notes:

I have not tested the microphone yet.

"Master" is the main control for maximum sound output, possibly with "pcm" or "speaker" as a sub control. This depends on the parameter (see below). The parameter used above "3stack-dig" uses master and speaker.

The modules needed are: snd-hda-intel, snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss, snd-seq-oss. These are loaded by default in Puppy 3.01.

Parameters:
Instead of 3stack-dig, you can try one of the following parameters: 3stack-6ch, 3stack-6ch-dig, 6stack-dig. Note, the parameter "auto" did not work. I did not test "lenovo".

Maybe someone with 6 Channel audio speakers can report on that.

I have only tested this on the 701 4GB model Serial Number 7B series. Please add results for other models or revisions.

Tested on Puppy 3.01. Please report on other versions.

JustGreg

#2 Post by JustGreg »

I confirmed this does work with Puppy 3.01 on my Eee Pc. It is the same as yours, Model 701. Thanks for the help.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

raffy

#3 Post by raffy »

Here's the modprobe.conf lines with Puppy version 2.13:

Code: Select all

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
and at the bottom, these last two lines:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
Since I did not get the microphone working with this, is it correct for me to remove the last two lines and substitute

?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

Raffy,
Don't delete anything. Just add that extra line at the end. The "option" line gives additional instructions to the ALSA driver (snd-hda-intel).

raffy

no success

#5 Post by raffy »

Thanks, tempestuous. I have been working on this since last night using different model= but no success so far. I looked at /tmp/bootsysinit.log and found:

Starting sound driver: snd-hda-intel
done
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'PCM',0
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

raffy

rc.alsa

#6 Post by raffy »

Have tried different "model=" parameters and restarted many times using rc.alsa, and the same error message shows.

EDIT I solved the sound problem in breeezy for model 701 by compiling a newer ALSA version. Newer Puppy Linux releases solve the sound driver problem by including the newer ALSA.
Last edited by raffy on Tue 04 Nov 2008, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

dale5351

Re: Solved: Eee PC sound

#7 Post by dale5351 »

nibl wrote:I found out how to get sound working on the Asus Eee PC.
- Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add this line:

Thank you -- for days now, I have been pulling out what hair I have left over this problem. Managed to find your post tonight. Tried it, and it worked. Happy camper!

Lotus Power

EEEPC 900

#8 Post by Lotus Power »

Hi Everyone,

I tried the following insturctions which were (very helpfully) posted earlier:

Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add this line:

- Reboot (saving settings)

- Set volume by clicking menu Multimedia/Puppy Sound Mixer

But I still have no sound! Does anyone have any other ideas? The above got the speaker icon onto the taskbar, but nothing more!

Thank you!

LP

renuvio

workaroaund to a similar problem (no sound in 3.01)

#9 Post by renuvio »

Hello everybody:

This is my first post in this place.

Puppy Linux is great.

Let me say i have a similar problem.

I found yesterday that sound was not available when i was still running v. 3.01 from a USB pendrive.

Alsaconf detected the soundcard, but it fails after try to insert snd-hda-intel.

I tried the solution proposed in this thread, without success. Then what i did was to copy /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/sound from a system booted from cd over the files of the no-sound system; rebooted, running again alsaconf, and that works. I have sound again, and i'm not sure what was the problem, maybe the files were corrupted.

Thanks for let me share this with all of us.

wrybread

#10 Post by wrybread »

Thanks, this worked on my Asus 1000H. Small note: I had to run the Alsa wizard before it would work. And in XMMS I had to tell it to use the Alsa mixer.

It's funny though, I could swear the speakers sounded much better and louder when I was using Windows. But alas that harddrive is now crashed so I can't confirm.

Sounds great through headphones.

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

wrybread wrote:And in XMMS I had to tell it to use the Alsa mixer.
If you install the properly configured (and thoroughly optioned) version of XMMS 1.2.11 from here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26528
that adjustment is not necessary.

Please note that the ALSA configuration discussed in this thread is not relevant from Puppy version 4.1.
Puppy 4.1's standard snd-hda-intel ALSA driver will provide out-of-the-box audio playback ... though for microphone support you will need the modified ALSA driver from here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 741#237741