How to get Make command to work in Puppy 2.01 from HD

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
kemoschwabbie

How to get Make command to work in Puppy 2.01 from HD

#1 Post by kemoschwabbie »

I have been attempting to compile the source for mdadm (Linux software raid) in Puppy and could not get the make command to work. I followed the directions of downloading and installing the devx_xxx.sfs to the / level and rebooting the computer. Still I had no luck. A little online reading yielded that Puppy 2.0x has been experiencing some issues in this area. Here is the solution I found:

The proper version of devx for Puppy 2.01 is located at http://www.puppyos.com/test/devx_201.sfs.

Download it to the root of your boot drive.

You will know that the devx is not working if you reboot your computer with the devx the root and you get the following response when you isse the make command:

sh-3.00# make
sh: make: command not found

A little rooting around and I found that I am not the first guy to have this problem:

http://www.puppyos.com/nfphpbb/viewtopi ... ht=compile

I issued these commands in sequence:

# mkdir /mnt/devx
# mount -o loop /devx_201.sfs /mnt/devx
# cp -a /mnt/devx/* /
# umount /mnt/devx

Now the make command works!

Cheers,

Kemo

tony

Mounting devx_202.sfs

#2 Post by tony »

Finally cracked installing devx_202.sfs to hard disk:-

Latest matching devx is devx_213.sfs, adjust to match distro.

IMPORTANT. Put devx_202.sfs in a separate hard disc partition.
In my case it was in /mnt/hdb7/root/downloads/

From partition where you want to install, create a directory in /root called mount
mkdir /root/mount
Then:-
mount -o loop /mnt/hdb7/root/downloads/devx_202.sfs /root/mount
This copies all the files in devx_202.sfs into /root/mount

Next copy the files recursively into your filesystem.

cp -ax /root/mount/* /

I Got :-
cannot create regular file 'usr/bin/strings': Text file busy
cannot create regular file 'usr/bin/uudecode': Text file busy
cannot create regular file 'usr/bin/uuencode': Text file busy
cannot create regular file 'usr/bin/xargs': Text file busy

But system installed. Typing make, gets :- No targets etc.

finally :-

umount /root/mount

Regards Tony
Last edited by tony on Thu 08 Feb 2007, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

Drucker

#3 Post by Drucker »

I'm using 2.02 and can't get this to work. The files show up in /mnt/devx but disapear after umount command. Not sure what I'm doing of course, but have compiled sucess on puppy 1.07. Help!

mistrz linux

#4 Post by mistrz linux »

You might want to move up to 2.12... if you're going to be doing anything with development, this is going to be the latest standard according to Barry...

Also, check to make sure that your devx_212.sfs file is NOT corrupted. I was beating my head for a few hours because of a corrupted file. Once I got a clean one, it worked just as the outline above states. Remember, though - copy the source from a mounted partition other than your root mounted partition...

HTH.... :D

m.l.

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

Drucker wrote:I'm using 2.02 and can't get this to work. The files show up in /mnt/devx but disapear after umount command. Not sure what I'm doing of course, but have compiled sucess on puppy 1.07. Help!
The files "show up" in /mnt/devx because the sfs file was mounted there. So when you unmount the sfs file, you cannot see them.. note that they are NOT there -- they don't take up any space on that drive -- it is more like a link into the sfs file.

After you've mounted the files you need to copy them, as was shown above.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Systemhalted

#6 Post by Systemhalted »

This does't seem to work for me...
In fact, I'm starting to get really pissed off at the rxvt command window.The damn thing can't even recognize it's own commands!
Everytime I THINK I've found something that MIGHT work, I just get a "Command not found" error. Could somebody please help?

Systemhalted

#7 Post by Systemhalted »

Oops!sorry! Forgot a space between "mkdir" and the adress. Couldn't you have warned? It's a bit hard to tell if it should be one there or not...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

I know what you mean. It's happened to me. It's hard to tell sometimes if there's a space or not in a line of characters. I've often wondered if it might be possible, when posting code in the forum, to replace spaces with a character that is not recognized by Bash or whatever, and must be changed back to space in order to run the code.

QLeap

Get invalid argument error

#9 Post by QLeap »

I recently purchased a norhtec micro-client jr. (a.k.a. e-box 2300). I tried Kemo's instructions and got the following error after the mount command:

mount: ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Invalid argument

I'm not that familiar with Linux so I'm a little stumped about this error. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

cendoubleu

thanks for info

#10 Post by cendoubleu »

kemoschwabbie, just to say thanks for the info regarding devx and make etc. Worked a treat here using Puppy 2.13. Now waiting to find all the dependencies!

HairyWill

#11 Post by HairyWill »

QLeap
Where is the file you are trying to mount saved? Is it on a separate partition to puppy?
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

J_Rey

devx2hd.sh script for normal Linux style installs

#12 Post by J_Rey »

OK I revised Barry's instructions for using devx file with a Puppy install on Linux partition and created a script (devx2hd.sh) out of it to save time/typos. The script will only run if using a full/option 2/normal Linux install and if the correct devx_2xx.sfs file is in /tmp on the partition that is being used by Puppy. There has to be twice the uncompressed size of the files in devx_2xx.sfs available in /tmp for this to complete. Also, don't forget that the /tmp folder will get emptied if rebooting, so when done you may want to copy the devx_2xx.sfs file elsewhere. With that said you may download the script. Click on it in Rox to uncompress it and click on it again afterwards to run it and have it extract/merge the files from the devx file to Puppy's filesystem.

Please report back here with detailed results then I will add it to our wiki compiling page.
Attachments
devx2hd.sh.gz
script for merging files from devx_2xx.sfs file to normal Linux partition
(432 Bytes) Downloaded 1861 times

Firefox

Make Command

#13 Post by Firefox »

Thank you J_Rey for your mavellous program to install the devX files.sf. to a full hard drive install.
I installed it on 2.15CE and had to change the file to r + x to run it.
As far as I can see it worked, with no targets specified and no makefile found coming up in rxvt. Now to figure the next step?find a program and run it.
I had spent all day trying to get Make to work with errors of missing files and lack of space , also demands for platform descriptions that I had to resort to a frugal install and when that didnt work then tried other versions and I finally gave up.
So thank you again. It`s these small touches that make a `just so` distro into a great one

ddomains

WHat about 3.00?

#14 Post by ddomains »

I tried the following

# mkdir /mnt/devx
# mount -o loop /devx_300.sfs /mnt/devx

and got the mounting message but failed at the end.

never got to the following parts

# cp -a /mnt/devx/* /
# umount /mnt/devx

Any Ideas? what about installing the Open Office on the full HD install?

Bruce B

Re: WHat about 3.00?

#15 Post by Bruce B »

ddomains wrote:I tried the following

# mkdir /mnt/devx
# mount -o loop /devx_300.sfs /mnt/devx

and got the mounting message but failed at the end.

never got to the following parts

# cp -a /mnt/devx/* /
# umount /mnt/devx

Any Ideas? what about installing the Open Office on the full HD install?
I have no idea why people keep posting that is how to mount a .sfs file. Use the -t switch and specify the filesystem type.

mount -o loop -t squashfs /devx_300.sfs /mnt/devx

Bruce B

#16 Post by Bruce B »

Systemhalted wrote:This does't seem to work for me...
In fact, I'm starting to get really pissed off at the rxvt command window.The damn thing can't even recognize it's own commands!
Everytime I THINK I've found something that MIGHT work, I just get a "Command not found" error. Could somebody please help?
'Command not found' usually means what it says, Linux looks for the command in its path statement. Unlike DOS/Windows it does NOT look in the current directory. If the file you are trying to run is in your current directory and that directory is not in the path statement, the file will not run and return the error message in mention.

The way to run a file in this scenario is with this convention:

./filetorun

If this does not help, please be more specific and perhaps I can help more specifically.

Also, I hate rxvt and never use it. In its place I use mrxvt (an older version) which I really like.

jimmyhacker

#17 Post by jimmyhacker »

you must be d*mb.

The sfs is really big and mounting it like this causes x window to crash.after crash if you restart pc you will have troublez with automake but the rest(bc,gcc,cc,c++,make,libgc etc.) runs without problems.but thanks for installing guide.I bookmarked this page so i will use it to install other .sfs`s to install them in full hd installations and upgrades.

Jimmyhacker