/root/.packages/unleashedpackages.txt-What's it do?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Pizzasgood

/root/.packages/unleashedpackages.txt-What's it do?

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm working on a hacked version of PupGet (called PupBeGone) that uninstalls (and only uninstalls) the packages that come default with Puppy. To do that, it takes the packages set to "on" in packages.txt, installs the filelist for that package, then uninstalls it. Then, at the end, it sets it to "off" in packages.txt so that PupGet can re-install it and PupBeGone doesn't try uninstalling it again.

What I'm wondering is whether I should turn it off in unleashedpackages.txt too. PupGet doesn't look at that file, so I'm assuming it's only used in remastering. Is it maybe just a list of the standard Puppy files, and only related to packages.txt because Puppy starts with the standard files? As in, if I mess with it, unleashed will try calling the current configuration standard, and if I leave it alone it won't get confused because the Puppy has that sruff uninstalled?

Making the script edit that would be easy, but I don't know what it's for, so I don't want to mess with it or ignore it until I'm sure. Otherwise I could screw someone up when they go to remaster....
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

I'm somewhat curious to know how that would work with the live cd, or is this for some other scheme? Also, from everything I can tell there are no file lists for the included packages in Puppy, only for the ones you install later. If I'm wrong please educate me.

Nathan

PS-this is a very interesting idea, and would make a lot of sense for someone running a hard drive installation especially.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Perhaps it is worth converting such mysterious files to XML so some info is available to developers - so that a txt file or listing is just that and a file being called has a link to where it is being activated from - just a thought :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

You should have
/root/.packages/README.txt
that has the answer to your question.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yep, right at the top. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. It was hidden among the file lists and keywords for my PupGet packages and blended in. :roll:
I'm somewhat curious to know how that would work with the live cd, or is this for some other scheme? Also, from everything I can tell there are no file lists for the included packages in Puppy, only for the ones you install later. If I'm wrong please educate me.
Well, it still "deletes" the packages, even though they are still there, since Puppy has unionfs. I use a live cd, but I no-longer have mozilla. It's there, but it isn't. So I guess there really isn't much of a benifit if you use the livecd. Unless you use one of those easy-remasterers that copies your setup. Then I guess it would recongnize that they're deleted. As for the file lists, that's why it needs to download the package you want to remove. It makes the list from that, then uses it to uninstall it.

I mostly made it so I can tweak it to uninstall from my remaster directory to speed up the process or remastering (so I don't have to remove the files by hand).

All that's left is to exterminate a bug or two. Might happen tonight, or it might be tomorrow morning.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]