How to make Image.gz with usr_cram.fs inside for LAN Boot?

Using applications, configuring, problems
sunburnt

#41 Post by sunburnt »

Made up a install package with Tftpd32 & instructions to LANboot John Murga's Special 128 Puppy from a Windows PC.

If it could be hosted by someone for download, & linked from the network page at :gosee.com/puppy/thin-puppy with some simple instructions on that page and another link to John Murga's 128 Special download page.
Or if server space is available I could make a full package ready to go, best cause no setup needed.
I'll write up the instructions for the web page if it's wanted.
This would make a working setup NOW, though admittedly using WinBlows for a server, but that's the other half of the equation, a Puppy NFS server.

128spec. needs Samba and/or NFS client & start script to setup PHOME on the server, then everything should work.
NFS is smaller than Samba, so a Puppy server's a good idea.
For a Puppy server, full NFS can be a module, or a compiled kernel's easier for noobie me.

Q: Where can I get a Puppy kernel with NFS compiled in?
------ At least the NFS client in a kernel for 128spec.
------ Could be a module, but this is noob easier for me.

Ted Dog

I've got the place www.puptrix.org

#42 Post by Ted Dog »

There is a site setup to host custom made puppy linuxes, you just need to email adopt@puptrix.org with upload instructions and html page description.
John's 'mean puppy' is already there.

sunburnt

#43 Post by sunburnt »

Hey Ted, that's great! I messaged John & he said he'd help, & he said his Puppy doesn't use Barry's startup.
The setup boots & works, & I'll get it to Samba mount PHOME, that will make for a first LanPuppy, then I'll submit it.

As I see it: If pup001 is network mounted then PHOME with the usr_cram.fs file in it are all taken care of, & I think the file pup001 could just be changed to a dir. on the server & maybe usr_cram.fs changed to a normal file sys.
So at the start of the PHOME search code in rc.sysinit., a line to jump to a custom script with net card insmod & ifconfig lines, & then a line to smbmount PHOME (dir.) & set the hostname.
Samba because the Puppy already has it, & other public shares can be mounted also.
The script would get insmod, ifconfig, smbmount, PHOME, & hostname values from environment variables set by the kernel argument line in the file /pxelinux.cfg/(IP add.), same as the PFILE & PHOME lines in it now.
So all that's unique is that file, a server setup gui would make it a piece of cake for anyone to administrate.

Is there anything I've forgotten? I might need some help with the network setup, the rest I think I got, sort of.

sunburnt

#44 Post by sunburnt »

Looking at the rc.sysinit file I found this part:
# now have PHOME... and HOMEFS... and HOMEDIR...
echo "The file is on $PHOME directory $HOMEDIR, fs type $HOMEFS"
mount -t $HOMEFS -o rw /dev/$PHOME $HOMEDIR

Bypass all the search code before it & replace the mount line with: smbmount $IPADD/S/$IPADD $HOMEDIR
I don't know if $IPADD is the right env. var., but S/$IPADD is the share & the separate dir. for each clients HOME.

Change the line: mount -r -t ${COMPRFS} /dev/loop0 /.usr_cram To: smbmount $IPADD/S/usr /.usr_cram
This mounts a normal /usr file system shared among clients in place of usr_cram.fs, setup like so:

S/$IPADD ... (HOME dir. unique to each client)
S/usr ......... (shared normal /usr file system)
S/pool ....... (public area for Docs, etc., & file sharing)

Most of Barry's code can be bypassed to speed booting, & I'll look at providing a swap setup.
Tell me what you think, am I nuts or what?