Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 00:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to make Image.gz with usr_cram.fs inside for LAN Boot?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2005, 23:08    Post subject:  

If that's copied and pasted, the problem is that you have
A. a capital I in image, then lowercase i's.
B. You start things with /. That takes it all the way back to /. In other words, either use the name or use /mnt/cdrive/mnt_old. If you really want to have /s on directories, stick them on the back like mnt_new/.

Try this:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
######### Put the extra files you want in the new image in image_tmp
######### image = mnt_old > image_tmp > mnt_new = image_new

# mount image file on mnt_old, copy its insides to image_tmp, umount mnt_old
mount -o loop image mnt_old
cp -a mnt_old/* image_tmp
umount mnt_old
sync
# create image_new file & make ext2 file sys. on it. ~ 150MB (150*1024) = 153600
dd if=/dev/zero of=image_new bs=1k count=100352
mke2fs -F -m 0 -b 1024 image_new
sync
# mount image_new on mnt_new & copy the contense of the image_tmp to mnt_new
mount -o loop image_new mnt_new
cp -a image_tmp/* mnt_new
umount mnt_new
sync

That worked for me when run with ./mk-img
And it does make img_new as the new one.

sunburnt

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005, 01:37    Post subject:  

It's running now, but it has errors on all of the files; cannot create symbolic link & failed to preserve ownership.
I don't know what's wrong or if it's normal (doesn't seem so), but I'm going to try it anyway, & who knows?
Hope it works, I'll let you know, but either way you've made it possable.
If I get it running right it would make a great addition for ROX, if that can be done?
ROX opening, extracting, & compressing; iso, image, & gzip files. It'd make Puppy work easy.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005, 01:44    Post subject:  

It's running, but with errors on all files; cannot create symbolic link & failed to preserve ownership.
Don't know what's wrong, I tried "cp -a -P " to preserve ownership, no change, I'll try it anyway.
Maybe an addon for ROX to work with iso, image, & gzip files, it'd make Puppy work easy.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005, 02:58    Post subject: Windows files lack full linux atrribute flags  

Many of the messages could be due to using FAT directly. RAM is safe and so is ext3 that I was using, sorry to not make that clear. This has tripped me up countless times. Try moving your working directories into /root/ (which is ext2 inside a file on FAT drive called pup015) or /tmp (which is in memory and linux full supported) to clear those errors. Permissions are important to preserve.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005, 17:37    Post subject:  

That's why I use a big partition image in HackyRemaster. Then I know it will be within an ext2 filesystem, and it can be put anywhere Puppy can read and write to.

So solve this on the harddrive, do the same thing you do to make the image to make another image, and put those mountpoints within that. Then it would work correctly.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005, 18:12    Post subject:  

: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
usually means it does not like the first line of your script ... it should be
#!/bin/sh
you could try deleting the first line and typing it again

you could try typing:
cd /
sh mk-img.sh

if it runs ok, then the first line of your script (#!/bin/sh) has something wrong with it
sunburnt

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005, 19:49    Post subject:  

Reworked it again, Pizzasgood's right, I keep thinking of a drive as root dir.... wrong, everything is a dir. tree.
Damn DOS habits, & Ted's right about the DOS drive not working, anyway it runs with no errors reported.
But, I put the new Image.gz & kernel in /tftpboot, boot the client & I get:

mounted root (ext2 file system) ... then ... attempt to access beyond end of device
(then a list of EXT2-fs errors) unable to read inode block (block numbers)
More: attempts to access beyond end of device ... Finally: kernel panic: No init found.

Puppy's image + cram file is 58MB, almost half the 96MB size of the image I created, is there any "image size" setting?
Puppy106 & Pizza105 both failed, the 128 special worked, any differences you know of, WHO MADE 128?
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005, 22:26    Post subject: two issues  

1) ramdrive_size on boot line incorrect (too small)
2) removing the odd code that I ripped from BK's script which removes one type of init and restores the busybox version.

bonus: #3) ramsize in etc wrong
good thing it will usally tell you what it wants (size for ramdrive) and what it currently is.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2005, 03:33    Post subject:  

Changed the 2 Pizza files in .etc to 98304, that's 749KB bigger than than the image & cram files.
The 2 files were the same in Puppy105, & the same in 128 special, but different in Pizza.
Same errors, 128 special is the only Puppy that LAN boots & it isn't even offered as such!
128 special is old, how old I'm not sure, perhaps whoever made it could update it, 1.0.7?
WHO MADE 128 special? If they'd answer Qs, I might solve this & there'd be a LAN Puppy.
The front page has advertized it for some time now, that's what attracted me to Puppy.
Went to Freesco for BladeHunter's post, but it stopped dead & I never heard of it again.
I beleave LanPuppy is the only nonexistant Puppy there is, all the others are working.

ADDENDUM: I went to the Damn Small Linux site, I hadn't been there in a long time, they had a LAN boot version & it worked great, but I don't care for DSL much, I do like Puppy, I'm taken with the fuzzy little guy.
I think most people just don't know that their PC can run with only the MB, CPU, memory, video bd., & the box, NO DRIVES, & that if something goes wrong just reboot, no data on HDs scattered all over the place to corrupt.
As PCs proliferate in the home as they have the work place this will become the defacto way of network supported PCs.
How about diskless desktops & laptops that boot from wireless LANS?

ADDON #2 I thought to DnLd John's version & it's big image like the older one I have (I didn't know that) & it LANboots as well, I messaged him & hopefully he can throw some light on how to convert std. Puppies.

Better than the 128 special would be Image.gz in ramdisk & nfs mount /usr file system, better in memory use & the puppy files & layout would be the same, I think it'd run in 64MB, a totally nfs mounted file system might run in 32MB.

Last edited by sunburnt on Tue 22 Nov 2005, 05:50; edited 3 times in total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2005, 04:11    Post subject: John Murga special puppy version  

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
try asking this guy directly.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2005, 21:09    Post subject:  

Made up a install package with Tftpd32 & instructions to LANboot John Murga's Special 128 Puppy from a Windows PC.

If it could be hosted by someone for download, & linked from the network page at :gosee.com/puppy/thin-puppy with some simple instructions on that page and another link to John Murga's 128 Special download page.
Or if server space is available I could make a full package ready to go, best cause no setup needed.
I'll write up the instructions for the web page if it's wanted.
This would make a working setup NOW, though admittedly using WinBlows for a server, but that's the other half of the equation, a Puppy NFS server.

128spec. needs Samba and/or NFS client & start script to setup PHOME on the server, then everything should work.
NFS is smaller than Samba, so a Puppy server's a good idea.
For a Puppy server, full NFS can be a module, or a compiled kernel's easier for noobie me.

Q: Where can I get a Puppy kernel with NFS compiled in?
------ At least the NFS client in a kernel for 128spec.
------ Could be a module, but this is noob easier for me.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2005, 22:01    Post subject: I've got the place www.puptrix.org  

There is a site setup to host custom made puppy linuxes, you just need to email adopt@puptrix.org with upload instructions and html page description.
John's 'mean puppy' is already there.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov 2005, 04:08    Post subject:  

Hey Ted, that's great! I messaged John & he said he'd help, & he said his Puppy doesn't use Barry's startup.
The setup boots & works, & I'll get it to Samba mount PHOME, that will make for a first LanPuppy, then I'll submit it.

As I see it: If pup001 is network mounted then PHOME with the usr_cram.fs file in it are all taken care of, & I think the file pup001 could just be changed to a dir. on the server & maybe usr_cram.fs changed to a normal file sys.
So at the start of the PHOME search code in rc.sysinit., a line to jump to a custom script with net card insmod & ifconfig lines, & then a line to smbmount PHOME (dir.) & set the hostname.
Samba because the Puppy already has it, & other public shares can be mounted also.
The script would get insmod, ifconfig, smbmount, PHOME, & hostname values from environment variables set by the kernel argument line in the file /pxelinux.cfg/(IP add.), same as the PFILE & PHOME lines in it now.
So all that's unique is that file, a server setup gui would make it a piece of cake for anyone to administrate.

Is there anything I've forgotten? I might need some help with the network setup, the rest I think I got, sort of.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov 2005, 06:05    Post subject:  

Looking at the rc.sysinit file I found this part:
# now have PHOME... and HOMEFS... and HOMEDIR...
echo "The file is on $PHOME directory $HOMEDIR, fs type $HOMEFS"
mount -t $HOMEFS -o rw /dev/$PHOME $HOMEDIR

Bypass all the search code before it & replace the mount line with: smbmount $IPADD/S/$IPADD $HOMEDIR
I don't know if $IPADD is the right env. var., but S/$IPADD is the share & the separate dir. for each clients HOME.

Change the line: mount -r -t ${COMPRFS} /dev/loop0 /.usr_cram To: smbmount $IPADD/S/usr /.usr_cram
This mounts a normal /usr file system shared among clients in place of usr_cram.fs, setup like so:

S/$IPADD ... (HOME dir. unique to each client)
S/usr ......... (shared normal /usr file system)
S/pool ....... (public area for Docs, etc., & file sharing)

Most of Barry's code can be bypassed to speed booting, & I'll look at providing a swap setup.
Tell me what you think, am I nuts or what?
Page 3 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: