Puppy 1.0.5 w/MadWiFi runs on Toshiba Satellite

Using applications, configuring, problems
nuttykutter

Puppy 1.0.5 w/MadWiFi runs on Toshiba Satellite

#1 Post by nuttykutter »

Hello there - new to this forum, only been using Puppy for a month (and using linux/computers in general again for the first time in eight or ten years) and I just wanted to say good job! to everyone involved. I was able to download the madwifi.tar.gz file and get it to install with only a few minor glitches. I am _not_ running wifibeta. My question is why WAG says I have no module loaded, yet I am quite certain that I loaded the ath_pci module. . . just wondering - everything seems to work just fine though. Next step will be setting up encryption on the network!

Rhino

#2 Post by Rhino »

I use wifi-beta2 with my Toshiba Satellite and even though I have the dotpup installed, I have to run Wifi-beta from the WAG menu if I want to connect wirelessly. I'm not sure if everyone does this or if it is just us :-) I think it is because wifi-beta2 uses ndiswrapper for the Atheros card (so I hear) and I think it has to do this every time we connect. I'm not sure how having just the madwifi drivers would actually be much different since they are included in wifibeta2

Anyway, congrats on getting the wireless card setup!

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

My question is why WAG says I have no module loaded, yet I am quite certain that I loaded the ath_pci module
"No module loaded" means you haven't specified a module for WAG to monitor. Otherwise it will say "Module XXXXXX running" or "Module XXXXX not running". Additionally, a button will appear to enable/disable this module.

Press WAG's "Help" button and it will tell you how to specify a module.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

Everybody needs to be aware that wifi-beta2 does not contain the madwifi drivers, nor any other Linux drivers.
wifi-beta2 is a package of Windows wifi drivers which are enabled, or "wrapped", by ndiswrapper.