goosee.com News page is down

#1 Post by BarryK »

Trouble with the goosee.com site again.

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/news.htm
has nothing on it.

Reason is, I tried to ftp latest news.htm, got an error message
"Could not write to socket: connection reset by peer"

Tested ftp to other sites, works fine. Tried again to goosee.com from another
computer, same error. Have this error for several hours.

All that it has done is set news.htm to zero bytes.

I did upload news.htm okay to puppylinux.com (hosted by Servage, our new
super-reliable host).

Then I found goosee.com email pop is down too.

Grumble, grumble...

I was going to leave goosee.com pointing to current host until account expires, but I'm tempted to move it to Servage right now...
the old wiki will then be gone, though.

kethd

.htm .html fall-back files

#2 Post by kethd »

I've only dabbled in website admin -- but I've learned that some sites serve .htm, some serve .html, first.
So once you figure out how your site works, you can update the Preferred one, say index.html, every time -- but before you mess with it, make sure the backup, say index.htm, has something viable in it. Then if you mess up and the first-line file disappears, the backup might be served.
(Useful information for those of us that are so paranoid that we wonder what will happen when people access the site while we are changing it. Also, since many sites default to serving an index of files in some conditions, which you may not want to happen by accident, a form of security protection to make sure there is a valid backup file to serve.)

raffy

FTP-ing

#3 Post by raffy »

Kethd's suggestion is excellent. Say, you upload a file named "index.0" then when successful, you rename it to index.htm and the old index.html to index.old. Finally, index.htm can be renamed to index.html.

But FTP-ing itself has always been unreliable on my end, especially as it does not work with proxy servers, so I have resorted to updating pages by editing (server-side). Copy and paste works this way, too, if quick dial-up is all that is needed.

J_Rey

Re: goosee.com News page is down

#4 Post by J_Rey »

BarryK wrote: I was going to leave goosee.com pointing to current host until account expires, but I'm tempted to move it to Servage right now...
the old wiki will then be gone, though.
Please don't take down the wiki on goosee.com because the DotPup Downloader uses it and the old wiki has all the page histories which preserves the info on who contributed what when. Instead of a redirect, maybe you could mirror the pupweb.org web pages by directory (i.e. have a cronjob (or something) that copies all the modified pages by directory periodically). Not sure how exactly how to implement though, but worth a try.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

The Dotpupdownloader was updated for the new wiki in Puppy 1.0.6.
You also can install it as Dotpup in older Puppys:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2144

Mark

kethd

wiki archives?

#6 Post by kethd »

I thought part of the "wiki way" was for "anyone" (the public) to be able to download a combined archive of the whole thing, drag it back to their lair, replicate it, digest it, deconstruct it, whatever... How big is the whole old wiki in archive form?
(I have been assuming that the issues with moving old wiki content to the new wiki had to do with translating between infrastructures, that our wiki foundations were being changed, and we lacked a good tool for auto-migration?)
Anyway, to preserve the old wiki, how hard would it be to replicate on some other server, intact? (Not that I personally know that I have any use for it -- just seems like storage space does not cost much these days.)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

The wiki is a mySQL database.
We went through this issue when setting up the new wiki on Servage.
Servage runs an older version of mySQL than does my goosee.com host, and I had problems trying to import the database, so just took the "easy" way out and copied page by page -- very tedious.

It is theoretically possible though, to dump the database and make it available for others. As long as they have mySQL and a late-enough version.

The old wiki is gonna go, maybe sooner is best.

Artie

#8 Post by Artie »

Why not use http://www.editlet.com/ or some service like it and forget about ftp and all that stuff?

Artie