Tiny.exe from wakepup crashes when loading 2.6 kernel

Please post any bugs you have found
bombayrockers

Tiny.exe from wakepup crashes when loading 2.6 kernel

#1 Post by bombayrockers »

I am trying to upgrade the puppy kernel from 2.4 to 2.6 but the tiny.exe from wakepup crashes when loadling the 2.6 kernel (tried several kernels from different distros)

As the tiny.exe in wakepup is 2003 version. I downloaded tiny.exe 2005 version. This dosent seem to work with the 2.4 puppy kernel either.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Have you tried the kernel used in Puppy 1.0.2 (which used the 2.6 kernel)? There was at least one puplet (fork of Puppy) that used the 2.6

We went back to 2.4 because it is actively maintained (even by Linus Torvalds aka "SuperTux")
Puppy Linux 1.0.2 standard release∞ ... This release uses kernel 2.6 and may run up to 30% faster on some systems. Note: This version had issues with NTFS partition corruption. If you are running Windows XP using the NTFS filesystem, it is recommended that you use Puppy version 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 which uses kernel 2.4, to avoid this problem.
John Murga's Opera build of Puppy 1.0.2∞ with many customizations ... Highlights: Opera browser & e-mail client, Textmaker, PERL, option to boot with ACPI off. Requires 128MB of RAM. (50MB)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bombayrockers

#3 Post by bombayrockers »

ofcourse I have tried puppy 1.0.2. Have no cd burner so booting from cd is out of question. Other than that puppy 1.0.2 does not work with wakepup with tiny.exe (2003), with tiny.exe (2005) & loadlin.

However I have got it partially running with loadlin by converting the image.gz from ext2 to minix. But after running init it makes /old_root & /new_root and does not progress further.

next i will try to minixify the 1.0.6 image.gz and try running it with loadlin

pakt

Re: Tiny.exe from wakepup

#4 Post by pakt »

bombayrockers wrote:I am trying to upgrade the puppy kernel from 2.4 to 2.6 but the tiny.exe from wakepup crashes when loadling the 2.6 kernel (tried several kernels from different distros)

As the tiny.exe in wakepup is 2003 version. I downloaded tiny.exe 2005 version. This dosent seem to work with the 2.4 puppy kernel either.
bombayrockers, you might try using LINLD.COM which I have switched to in my new WakePup 1.1b. I uploaded it just a few days ago. See http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3875

Maybe that will work :)

bombayrockers

#5 Post by bombayrockers »

The puppy 1.0.2 kernel did not work with linld however i have got slackware official kernel 2.6.12.2 + modified puppy image.gz running with linld with a minimal set of modules (removed sound, net protocols etc)

But now i am in a fix which modules to choose for image.gz