HP F4185

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rustic23

HP F4185

#1 Post by rustic23 »

I am using Puppy 4.1. I updated cups and found a deskjet f4100 and installed it. Found the printer on USB 1. Install seemed to go fine. It won't print. the printer is listed as

Description:
Device URI: usb://HP/Deskjet%20F4100%20series?serial=CN77R3S5MT04TJ

I have rebooted and no change. As I am new to linux, I don't have a clue what to do next. All I want this thing to do is print. I could care less about the scanner. Would be nice, but I doubt I would use it as I have another one on another computer.

Now, if this printer will not work easy, what printer (cheap under $300) would you recomend? I print mostly text from this computer.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Most HP printers work great normally, and I think that one should too.
If they don't have a Gutenprint driver included in Puppy, you just install HPIJS from petget and set them up and they work.
If you want scanning you just install HPLIP-lite from the forum, and it works.

How and why did you "update CUPS"?
You might have to uninstall whatever new version you've installed and reinstall the original one.
Or if you haven't installed a whole lot of other software or something, it might be easier to start again with a fresh Puppy install
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Did you ever get anywhere with this?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

IzzieDee

HP 3845 deskjet

#4 Post by IzzieDee »

I would like to note this somewhere online and this seemed like a good place. Until a few days ago, I thought I had the only printer, HP 3845 deskjet, that did not work on Linux. Puppy is installed on the harddisk of my Pentium II. I started from the message on this forum: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27519

For me, the LITE version DID NOT WORK. I followed the instructions and rebooted after every install. I was encouraged by hearing of success with my HP on Ubuntu forums and found my way to the HP website and HPLIP, the un-lite version. Somehow, this package ( I tried to write everything down but missed a step here) appeared in the Puppy Package manager. hpijs-2.8.2_static-1. ( I downloaded it and Puppy detected it as a .pet file,I guess) I let Puppy install it and then I went through the configuration again (deleted all printers that I had added ) and it worked.

This was the last hurdle before saying goodbye to Windows 98SE!
Rose

FYI:
# uname -a
Linux puppypc 2.6.25.16 #1 Tue Aug 26 10:45:53 GMT-8 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

System Info from Menu->system->hardware
Processor : Pentium II (Deschutes)
Memory : 190MB (143MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.41

Date/Time : Fri 28 Nov 2008 04:58:21 PM GMT-1
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown