A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
MooDog

#21 Post by MooDog »

Hi, Lobster -

From the wikka:
Open the Live CD and look at the contents. You will see that the complete operating system is contained in just four compressed files. They are vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pupxxx.sfs and zdrvxxx.sfs. All you need to know for now is that the first two files contain the code that Puppy uses to get itself started. The third file contains the application software like word processors and web browsers. The fourth file contains hardware drivers.
I think it's time to update this section to highlight the fact that Puppy 4.XX series only has 3 compressed files, and zdrvxxx.sfs has been incorporated into pupxxx.sfs as well.

Don C.

psuliin

#22 Post by psuliin »

I just thought I should mention that the link to the online doc seems to be broken.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#23 Post by Béèm »

DCFC79 wrote:
Béèm wrote:
DCFC79 wrote:Do i need to do anything before i burn puppy to a cd for example use an error checker like when i downloaded ubuntu before
Yes, run a md5sum check.
The md5sum is a downloadable item as well as well as the corresponding ISO.
cheers thankyou, ive used md5sum to do the checksum bit and i cant find the md5 so i can compare it using the checker, the program created a notepad file and im guessing i find the checksum in that right,

is what im asking detailed anywhere to save me asking
When you download the ISO there is a corresponding text file containing the md5 sum. You have to download that as well.
Once you run the md2check compare the results obtained to the one you downloaded.
If it matches, your download is ok.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

bunnybuster_jr

#24 Post by bunnybuster_jr »

Is there a link to installing Puppy 4.1 retro to the hard drive and completely boots from the hard drive on a machine that does not have Windows and never will on it?

How does one modify the MBR? Where do we get to the commands to work with the GRUB?

I used a Live CD and followed what seemed to be the process outlined after first shut down to establish a hard drive bootable install. With the CD out, I get an error at boot up. I get "Error 15".

The instructions linked in the first post of this topic does not give me ( a newbie ) enough step-by-step information on how to install it completely to the hard drive.

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your Error 15 suggests that GRUB was installed correctly but it cannot find the Puppy files.

1. What kind of installation method did you use - full or frugal? If you used frugal was it installed into a folder? To answer these questions, boot off the Live CD and look at your Puppy partition.

2. Go to the folder /boot/grub and locate the file menu.lst. Post it here. There is a mismatch between the actual location of the Puppy files and the paths that are stated in menu.lst.

If you want more information about setting up GRUB manually, go here and download the "grub-install" package.

bunnybuster_jr

#26 Post by bunnybuster_jr »

After doing some more homework on the Puppy WIKI site, I found enough information to try again. I was successful in getting it to install to the hard drive although it took a couple attempts. I realized I needed to go through Puppy Universal Installer (PUI) to do more work. Then, I was able to go through the Grub Installer from the menu and after trying a couple of options, it worked.

When my computer boots up, it stops at a screen that shows:

Dos
Linux on ...
Install Grub...
Install Grub...

and some other verbage. Is there some way to bypass and have it directly go to the Linux option to finish booting? I always have to arrow down and hit enter. Not a big deal, but just curious...

Thanks for your help!

CatDude

#27 Post by CatDude »

Hello bunnybuster_jr

In your /boot/grub/menu.lst
you will see a section like this:

Code: Select all

# Start GRUB global section
timeout 30
default 0
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
gfxmenu /boot/grub/yellow1
# End GRUB global section
Yours will not be exactly like this.
All you need to do is:
make sure the timeout line does not have a # at the start,
you could change the 30 to let's say 5 (that's the time in seconds, before it boots the default entry).

For the default, set that to 1 (that means the second item listed, in your case: Linux on ... ),
again make sure it is uncommented (remove the #, if there is one at the start of that line)

Remember to save your changes.
Next time you boot up, it should go to the Linux Desktop without any intervention from you.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

bunnybuster_jr

#28 Post by bunnybuster_jr »

CatDude

Thanks for the help. I found the section about the timeout, but nothing that says default. I copied my boot grub menu.lst information below.

# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Mon May 19 06:32:54 2008
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/hda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.hda.6152'. You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.hda.6152 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
#timeout 30
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Other bootable partition config begins
title DOS (on /dev/sda1)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
# Other bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/hda2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
root (hd0,1)
setup (fd0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/hda2)
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0,1)
pause Press enter to continue.
title - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)

I see the area for the timeout and can modify that per your instructions, but do you know where to apply the default instructions?

Thanks!

CatDude

#29 Post by CatDude »

bunnybuster_jr wrote: I see the area for the timeout and can modify that per your instructions, but do you know where to apply the default instructions?

Thanks!
Just add it below the timeout line.
Like this:

Code: Select all

timeout 5
default 1
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

bunnybuster_jr

#30 Post by bunnybuster_jr »

CatDude-

Worked great! Thanks for your help. Now on to other problems...

Bunnybuster_Jr

bikerdad1969

puppy won't install

#31 Post by bikerdad1969 »

puppy won't install.... after it gets done loading kernel files , it goes on to "searching for puppy files on computer disk drives "and just hangs there....

what do I do now ?

the machine is a toshiba tecra 8100 laptop with a broken windows 200 install on it .

thane

#32 Post by thane »

I posted this on the eeZos forum too but that doesn't seem to get much play.

In the last week I've downloaded both Puppy Linux 4.1.2 and the eeZos_0_6 puplet. The box I'm using has a read-only CD drive and an old version of Windows on the hard drive, so I'm booting off the CD [bios doesn't allow booting from USB] and using a USB flash memory stick for the system save. I mostly do web surfing so this is working out fine.

The 4.1.2 runs totally in RAM [with files on the USB] which is what I want. However when I tried running eeZos [separate CD and memory stick] it didn't (as far as I can recall) give me the option of copying any system files to the USB stick or to RAM. So it's constantly going back to the CD for those files. It does write the save file to the USB stick so it knows the stick is there.

Did I miss something at some point in the installation? I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

thane

#33 Post by thane »

OK, I looked at the 4.1.2 files on its USB stick, and copied over that 412 whatever file in eezos to its USB. Looks like eezos isn't hitting the CD anymore once it boots. I'm not 100% sure it's all running in RAM though either.

thane

#34 Post by thane »

So far 4.2 is working fine the way I initially set it up (booting from CD, with the save and 420 files stored on a USB stick). In fact that's what I'm using now. But, when I tried setting up the same type of USB stick as a boot device (took all the defaults in the Install process), and downloading the wakepup2 program and burning it to CD (since the bios for the Compaq Deskpro EN doesn't support booting from USB), I got a "target USB device not found" error.

I'm using an HP USB Flash Drive v125w. I left the default partitioning that was set when the files were copied over. Since Puppy Linux can find and use the device I'm wondering if I got the wrong version of wakepup or something. Not a big deal for now since what I have works fine.

Tatty42

#35 Post by Tatty42 »

I think I've managed to succesfully install puppy 4.0 to my laptop's HDD (no windows), and configured the GRUB properly, so I have (and can choose) the option to launch Puppy, however, it all goes OK, until it scans for serial peripherals and tells me I have a PS2 mouse and keyboard, then it seems to stop.

Does the next step take a long time? Do I need to give it more time, or does it sound as though something is going (gone) wrong :?:

thane

#36 Post by thane »

I'm running 4.2 on a box that has a floppy drive and a read-only CD drive, so I'm booting off a CD and saving to a USB stick (BIOS doesn't allow booting off USB either). I also have the pup_420.sfs file on the stick.

One of the websites I go to requires a Java plug-in for certain features, so I'd like to download a Puppy plug-in for this. However I'm not sure that I'll be able to save the modified Puppy with the setup I have.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Uden

#37 Post by Uden »

Hi thane,

you can install Java JDK or a Java plugin without problems, provided your personal save file on the USB is large enough.

I used this pet: www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/java-1.6u10.pet

succes

thane

#38 Post by thane »

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I set the save space to 512M, although it's a 4G stick so I guess I can enlarge it to 1G if I have to.

puppup

#39 Post by puppup »

do you know once puppy linux is on dvd-r disc, do you reinstall wireless card/router programs to put on puppy desktop? as on windows, internet access is with a double click on icons.

puppup

#40 Post by puppup »

in adding more programs to multisession disc, could you burn iso as well as also online download then install?