Fake XP look

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
superchook

Fake XP look

#1 Post by superchook »

I wish to disguise Puppy as Windows XP. I can locate Bliss.bmp to use as the wallpaper but do not know where the standard windows icons are kept in XP.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Does anyone have a reference to instructions on how to create the windows decoration and taskbar.

cheers,
Ken

WhoDo

#2 Post by WhoDo »

How about this?

Or this?

You can achieve that with EZpup for your puppy version. Just select the WinXP-Royale theme and modify the icons to suit. See the IceWM-Themes-Exchange for more interesting themes, too!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

T_Hobbit

#3 Post by T_Hobbit »

Any way to do that with JWM without EXPup?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

superchook

Fake XP look

#4 Post by superchook »

My original question arose because I sometimes use Puppy as a diagnostic tool at a computer club where there are 25 computers with Windows XP installed. I thought I could have some fun by making Puppy look exactly like all the other screens. At the moment the icons give the game away. I thought if I could find the actual icons used by XP I could make a convincing imitation. The standard "wallpapers" are found in:
C:\WINDOWS\web\wallpaper\
and I planned on using Bliss.bmp but I haven't been able to locate the icons for "My Computer", "My Documents", "Recycle Bin" and "start".
I usually carry the latest Puppy on a 3" CD but sometimes use an older version to which I have added partimage.

cb88

#5 Post by cb88 »

http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14

you can extract that file and get the icons out
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

steve_s

#6 Post by steve_s »

Here's a bliss-like image for your wallpaper. 8)

I couldn't resist...I think I'm going to use that icon set you recommended and put a Puppy version together, just for fun. With EZpup there should be nothing to it...

[by the way, the "bliss" part of the image was a Terragen creation (not mine, but available) and the dog is a stock image]

PS I installed XP for someone this weekend (a friend of mine had to have it on her pc), or at least I tried. Can't find this file, incomplete that file...ugh! Even for a full install with Puppy, worked every time, in minutes; wish everything installed that easy...I tried to talk her into using Puppy, but, well, doesn't always work unfortunately...oh, well.
Attachments
puppy-bliss.jpg
(51.01 KiB) Downloaded 3062 times

MU

#7 Post by MU »

*lol* :lol: :lol: :lol:
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:*lol* :lol: :lol: :lol:
What he ^ said! :lol: :lol: :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

MU

#9 Post by MU »

the picture looks really funny (puppy-bliss.jpg) :D
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:the picture looks really funny (puppy-bliss.jpg) :D
I was agreeing 100% Mark. "What he said" is an English idiomatic version of "I agree with him". I was laughing "with" you, not "at" you! :P No offense or misunderstandings intended.

Cheers, mate! :wink:

MU

#11 Post by MU »

"What he said" is an English idiomatic version of "I agree with him"
I see, I did not know that expression.
Thanks for explaining it :D
Mark

steve_s

#12 Post by steve_s »

Aaaaggghhh!!! I'm scared!!

Check this out: I threw together an XP (Xtremely Plain) icon set and set it up for Puppy (if someone wants the icon set, just tell me the best way to upload it, via zip or how...).

I then used the puppy-bliss wallpaper that I posted earlier in the thread.

Then I downloaded and installed EZPup; very easy...nice job WhoDo!

This is the final result!
Attachments
puppy-Xtremely-Plain2.jpg
(95.96 KiB) Downloaded 2139 times
puppy-Xtremely-Plain1.jpg
(74.61 KiB) Downloaded 2017 times

steve_s

#13 Post by steve_s »

Now with the icons moved around...looks even worse/better! 8)

PS Here's one of the real differences between Puppy and, well, really all other operating systems: I recently downloaded to install the service-pack 3 for Windows XP. It was something like 316MB. That's just for the update! The entire Puppy Linux operating system is less than half that size! Wow!

They may look the same sometimes, but they aren't the same. 8)
Attachments
puppy-Xtremely-Plain4.jpg
(52.65 KiB) Downloaded 6474 times
puppy-Xtremely-Plain3.jpg
(75.05 KiB) Downloaded 1473 times

steve_s

#14 Post by steve_s »

I have since taken that icon set and batch shrunk them down to 32 and it looks further like xp...still some issues about rox changing sizes, though. Very cool effect.. If anyone wants that set of icons, just say.

Overall, I greatly prefer any other icon set than the xp ones... 8)

steve_s

#15 Post by steve_s »

Sorry for the bad form in answering my own posts, but I had to mention one more thing: what's really cool with WhoDo's EZPup settup is you can go from the previous XP looking version to this Vistaish looking version with a couple of clicks...amazingly simple and effective; nice job!
Attachments
puppy-vistaish.jpg
(28.69 KiB) Downloaded 6201 times

raffy

upload

#16 Post by raffy »

Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

steve_s

#17 Post by steve_s »

Thanks, Raffy! But I just realized I'm trying to upload through a work proxy...ugh; don't know how to do that.

Let's see if I can get it to work just via an attachment.

First are the "normal" sized icons. Download then unpack them in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes...

Then, when you want to change to the xp icons just click on your icon switcher and you'll have that as one of your options.
Attachments
xp-cons.zip
(152.39 KiB) Downloaded 1320 times

steve_s

#18 Post by steve_s »

Hey, it looks like that worked!

Ok, here is the smaller xp icon set. They are labelled the same (except for the title of course) so that they will work, but they are smaller (32x32). Like I said, I had some issue with a couple of icons and rox resizing them, but otherwise they look good.

So, download and unpack in the aforementioned location and then, if you've unpacked both of them there, you will have xp-con and a xp-con-small icons sets. 8)
Attachments
xp-cons-small.zip
(65.75 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times

steve_s

#19 Post by steve_s »

Oops! I figured out my errors...the "drive48.png" icon should be "drives48.png" and I didn't have a "chat48.png" icon. So, here is a screenshot and the updated "xp-cons-small" icon set. Then I'll post the "xp-cons" large set on the next post.

**Now complete under 4.2.
Attachments
xp-cons-small.pet
(139.56 KiB) Downloaded 1159 times
Last edited by steve_s on Tue 31 Mar 2009, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

steve_s

#20 Post by steve_s »

And now here are the larger icons...enjoy! 8)
Attachments
xp-cons.zip
(156.45 KiB) Downloaded 1127 times