OpenOffice 2.0, Java, to Puppy 1.0.6 from Vector Linux

Using applications, configuring, problems
EarlSmith

OpenOffice 2.0, Java, to Puppy 1.0.6 from Vector Linux

#1 Post by EarlSmith »

The new Vector Linux contains Open Office 2.0. I installed Vector on hda11, Puppy on hda9, and put a 600+ swap partition on hda10. As an experiment I opened the My-applications directory in Puppy with Rox. Used Mutt to get to the Vector partition and found the directory that contained Open Office and Java. Dragged both to Puppy. Found the main OpenOffice executable, dragged it to the desktop in Puppy. Installed the Java runtime in OpenOffice and Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.as the Duke used to say (as in Always), everything works.
A shortcut I know, but maybe other programs in Vector will work in Puppy too.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

We have Megapuppy (1 single file) with this in it and more.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=22873#22873

But you are right, in the past several programs were catched from vector, especially before we had our own compiler.

Mark

Nathan F

#3 Post by Nathan F »

I still use Vector extensively for compiling apps for Puppy. I try everything in Puppy first but often get compiling errors. 90% of the time I do nothing different but get things to compile cleanly in Vector.

I'm not knocking Puppy's compiling system, as a matter of fact I commend Barry on it as every new version works smoother for me. I've just found that Vector is about the best compiling environment there is short of Slackware itself. Not to mention the fact that almost everything transfers over to Puppy without any difficulty. The only occasional wrinkle is that Vector places some library files into /usr/local/lib while Puppy doesn't have that location in it's search path, so just remember to move any libraries to the appropriate locations before trying to use them in Puppy.

It's possible that the Vector OpenOffice package may work faster than the official build from openoffice.org anyway, as the Vector guys take the time to compile all of it from source and use every optimization they can. I'd be interested to see a side by side comparison. They also have a top notch forum and a really freindly bunch of users and developers, in short it's the next best thing to Puppy in my opinion.

Nathan

EarlSmith

#4 Post by EarlSmith »

I second everything Nathan said about Vector.
And yes I am very happy with Open Office in both Puppy and Vector. Both seem to run very faster and start faster compared to the older Open Office 1.4 in Windows.
One of the best things about Puppy is it starts so fast when installed on a hard drive. So Puppy and Vector work very well together.