Text that looks OK in Windows is blurry in Puppy (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mr Doolie

Text that looks OK in Windows is blurry in Puppy (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Mr Doolie »

I have my screen mode set the same for Winblows and Puppy Linux; 1280x768x24.

Using Firefox 1.07 on both systems.

Under PL webpages have sharp graphics but blurry text. Readable, but not as sharp as Winblows.

Is this a Firefox problem, a Puppy-specific problem or a Linux-In-General problem?

maybe there's a "Smooth Text" option somewhere in PL that I have to set?
Last edited by Mr Doolie on Tue 13 Dec 2005, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

Auda

#2 Post by Auda »

thats a funny resolution dont you mean 1280x1024 or 1024x768 ?
If you realy are using 1280x768x24. then that maybe your problem I use Firefox 1.07 here in 1280x1024x24 and its fine
Auda

MU

#3 Post by MU »

In mozilla I use Helvetica for everything, it is not Antialiased (blurry).

You can set that in the options.

Mark

Mr Doolie

#4 Post by Mr Doolie »

> thats a funny resolution dont you mean 1280x1024 or 1024x768 ?

Yes, 1280x1024. Oops.

Mr Doolie

#5 Post by Mr Doolie »

MU wrote:In mozilla I use Helvetica for everything, it is not Antialiased (blurry).

http://dotpups.de/pics/puppy/mozilla-helvetica.jpg

You can set that in the options.

Mark

Thanks thats a little better but I still have to put my face 3 inches from the screen to read the text. I'll just enlarge the text with cntrl-mouse scroll wheel.

How'd you take that screenshot?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Mr Doolie wrote:...How'd you take that screenshot?
You can use mTpaint screenshot from the Start menu. You can also use mTpaint to crop and resize the image so it isn't so large, in consideration of people who use 800 x 600 resolution. :roll:

Also, did you see this, about using TrueType fonts in Puppy? And I think bombayrockers posted something along those lines as well, somewhere.

Mr Doolie

Re: Text that looks OK in Windows is blurry in Puppy (Firefo

#7 Post by Mr Doolie »

Mr Doolie wrote: Under PL webpages have sharp graphics but blurry text. Readable, but not as sharp as Winblows.
Attachments
winblows.jpg
(55.37 KiB) Downloaded 819 times
puppy.jpg
(36.72 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times

MU

#8 Post by MU »

Mr Doolie wrote:
Thanks thats a little better but I still have to put my face 3 inches from the screen to read the text. I'll just enlarge the text with cntrl-mouse scroll wheel.

How'd you take that screenshot?
I make screenshots with GIMP, but mtpaint works fine, too.

To increase the font, simply set the minimum font-size to higher values as on my screenshot.
At least in Mozilla, don't know if Firefox has that option, too.

Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Mr Doolie, the text in the screenshot of Puppy in your last post looks sharp as a tack to me. If anything it's sharper than the text in the screenshot of Windows, only smaller.

Not to make light of your reading difficulty, but have you had your eyes checked for cataracts? I discovered I had one about two years ago. It took years of complaining that my vision was bad, before my eye doctor looked thoroughly and carefully enough to discover it. I guess it didn't occur to him I might have a cataract, because I was only in my mid 50s.

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

One other difference is that the font he has has more tails and little bumps than the one in Windows. Not a big difference, but it makes it slightly more fuzzy looking. If you want the identical fonts, you can copy your windows fonts into Puppy. There was just a how to written on that, I think.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

#11 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:have you had your eyes checked for cataracts?
That's certainly possible but here's a good clue. At this moment I'm viewing this website in Winblows. Both screenshots are sharp. When I view the page in PL the PL shot is quite blurry and the Winblows one is a little blurry. I suspect a monitor drive problem under Puppy. That's possible, no? Maybe puppy loads a generic NVIdia driver. I KNOW I'm using the newest dedicated Nvidia driver under Winhose.

I'm off to search for a Linux NVidia GeForce 4 MX LCD monitor 1280x1024 dedicated driver.

My apologies to Barry for ever doubting the Almighty Most Holy Puppy [Bangs head on floor until forgiven].

Question #1:
When I do find the driver, how do I tell Pup how to use it? I'm a Linux noobee.

Mr Doolie

#12 Post by Mr Doolie »

I wasn't logged it! That last message was from me.

Mr Doolie

SOLVED!!

#13 Post by Mr Doolie »

Got it! It *WAS* a monitor-driver problem.

At this second I'm running Puppy through VMWare with a FAT32 drive and the pup.iso as the CDROM. My Winblows system is handling the hardware driver parts instead of Puppy doing it. Either that or the Pup default drivers are made for whatever hardware VM emulates. Whatever the situation, EVERYTHING is sharp and clear and beautiful and not tiny and blurry any more.

Barry, a FYI and in no way a criticism. Whatever graphics card/monitor driver that automagically installs on a system with an on-board NVidia GeForce MX 32Meg and a 1280x1024 LCD monitor is not exactly the optimum driver for that particular hardware setup.

Now to find out why VMWare is so slow (isn't a 2-gig CPU fast enough?) but I like it better now 'cause now Pup can't touch my Win system at all. I was so afraid of accidentally writng to my NTFS drive and farkling it.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

#14 Post by Guest »

Fixed that too. After much digging around on the net I found the answer.
To paraphrase: Put .vmdk and .vmf and .iso files in your virus checker's exclude list so it doesn't check them every time VMWare does a disk write.

Mr Doolie

#15 Post by Mr Doolie »

Update to my update:

Never one to leave well enough alone I went back to my regular PL installation to figure out what the smeg is the problem with that smegging text.

I looked veeeeery closely at the screen and noticed that not only was the text blurred but the picture was a tiny bit too big for the screen. A lightbulb pops over my head. "Wait a second! Isn't there a button on the monitor for auto-fixing stuff like that"? Yes, there is. I pushed it. D'OH! The picture went all mental for two seconds and then sharpened up a LOT! The text is still blurrier than Windoze but that magic button made it a lot better. Not perfect yet, still looking for an updated Linux driver for my card and truefonts for Puppy, but it's way better than it was before!. I'd forgotten that LCD monitors are not autoadjusting like CRT monitors. I wonder if that's why some of my games look kinda bad.