Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 10:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
progressive hard drive failure?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov 2005, 10:22    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
...We need to locate a tame motor design expert to develop a radical new approach.
There are already plenty of reasonably cheap and efficient electric motor designs. What's needed is a compact, cheap, reliable, nonpolluting power source (ideally using solar-derived hydrogen.) Smile
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2005, 04:18    Post subject:  

None of the present motor designs overlap with our concepts.
Apart from Arizona and E Calif., our Arabian friends have a monopoly on sunshine, too! Once we deplete their oil, they'll be able to sell us hydrogen.
All we need then is cheap platinum.
Friendship and co-operation often turn out to be much more devastating than tanks and bombs as well as enhancing enlightened self-interest!
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2005, 11:26    Post subject:  

I've had this idea for some time; ever seen one of those old treadle sewing machines? I'd like to set up a generator on one to power my computer- get some exercise anyway...
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2005, 11:54    Post subject:  

There's a better solution if keeping fit is in the equation. Put an old bike in a stationary cradle, attach a simple lift pump/centrifugal pump/etc eg from any old hardware, like a dead washing machine, and raise water into a large storage tank in the loft. Half-an-hour in the morning should suffice. You can then run it back down through a generator when you need it. This is no more than a simple variant of pumped storage, as used by the largest power companies. The Czechs have one at their Slapy dams and Trawsfynydd in Wales is one of the largest. Just about the best achievable reversible energy storage.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2005, 17:45    Post subject:  

Last century pedal powered radio communication was used in the Australia outback for remote areas.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2005, 22:38    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
...Apart from Arizona and E Calif., our Arabian friends have a monopoly on sunshine, too!...
You forget Australia!

Anyway, even if it only could do a very unimpressive 100 watts per square meter at noon, a square kilometer solar collector would give 100 MW peak power. A solar array 100 kilometers on a side, which would hardly be noticed in the vastness of the American southwest, would generate 1000 GW of peak power.

I've tried to find the "efficiency" of splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen by electrolysis. The best answer I found is that it is very efficient. That is, if the reverse of the process - combining the hydrogen and oxygen back into water in a fuel cell, for instance - were 100 percent efficient, you'd get back most of the electrical energy used to make the hydrogen. As an energy storage cycle, electrolysis combined with fuel cells is about as efficient overall as any other way of storing energy. The problem is the well-known difficulties of storing hydrogen.

I read somewhere that methanol actually has more hydrogen per unit volume than liquid hydrogen. It is obviously much more practical to store. The missing link is how to make methanol, or any other easily stored compound of hydrogen, from sunlight and water vapor.
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2005, 01:18    Post subject:  

Barstow!
Ethanol is going to be the fuel of the future. There are new enzymatic fermentation techniques which are more efficient. The SE US States are awash with bagass in Autumn - anything that grows is fermentable. Problem with ethanol is the C-C bond. We are looking for a new and different catalyst.
Efficiency in energy generation and conversion is full of misconceptions. Many textbooks are wrong. The Second Law is inviolate.
How could I possibly forget Oz?!
Takilla

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2005, 02:04    Post subject:  

from failing hard drives to bio energy conversion, you puppy people are most imaginative and flexable. But thanks anyway for you generous help.
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2005, 06:57    Post subject:  

Bicycle driven generators were used to power clandestine communications sets in WWII, esp. as a man on a bike in France attracted absolutely no attention. It may be possible to use dead HDs to build a wheel motor?
Another attraction of ethanol as a fuel should immediately become apparent! As I used to explain to my students, when the hardware fails, it's still possible to be happy.....
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: