pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
tasmod

#81 Post by tasmod »

Hi, I've installed v0.2 but only the analogue clock shows on desktop, no other widgets will show.

Also, how do you download the skins for the clock. I keep getting 'Error 403 Don't have permission to access file' at the xonclock site.

zigbert

#82 Post by zigbert »

tasmod
Have you installed the dependencies (conky) as described in the main post?

CatDude

#83 Post by CatDude »

Hello All

This may seem like a dumb question,
but how does one change the position where the widgets are located. (see attached image)
I would like them to start a little further down on the desktop.
What file do i need to edit in order to achieve this ?

As to the analog clock skins,
i used those that came in MU's gdesklets-0.36-i586-2gsb-MU-200clocks.pet
as posted here: gDesklets 0.36 beta (Only for Puppy-3)

Rename the .pet to .tgz and extract it somewhere,
you will get a directory called: gdesklets-0.36-i586-2gsb-MU-200clocks
you will find most of the clocks in: gdesklets-0.36-i586-2gsb-MU-200clocks/usr/lib/gdesklets/Displays/Clock/gfx/clocks

I renamed: /root/.pwidgets/misc/Clock-analog.png
then created a symlink to whatever took my fancy out of the 200 clocks.

I tested with these, and they worked OK
  • earth.png = 186x186
    BallClockAqua.png = 128x128
    arne49.png = 144x144
    arne1.png = 170x170
    Rainbow.png = 197x197
CatDude
Attachments
pwidgets.png
(74.58 KiB) Downloaded 1562 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

zigbert

#84 Post by zigbert »

CatDude

To move the start-point down, you should increase the value (30) of line 17 in /usr/local/pwidgets/func.

CatDude

#85 Post by CatDude »

zigbert wrote: To move the start-point down, you should increase the value (30) of line 17 in /usr/local/pwidgets/func.
Thank you very much zigbert, ideal. :wink:

CatDude

ttuuxxx

#86 Post by ttuuxxx »

This is kind of crappy, Not Pwidgets by any means, I was building a icewm release that included a new gtk theme, Pwidgets, new Icewm them, I had been working on it for about 2 weeks, and it was ready, I was just waiting for Pwidgets 0.2 to be release and I was going to upgrade it, So I got home from work yesterday and my PC 's were off and I asked my wife "Why is my Pc's off" She said "Power outage" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
So I lost about 60 hrs of work, I should of backup the files, but the power never goes out here, Maybe once in 8 years, Then I load up puppy and and the first thing I see is "Pwidgets 0.2" , thats like kicking someone when he already down. LOL
Well back to it again, I really liked the themes I made, boy they were nice. This time I'll backup.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

zigbert

#87 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.3
See main post

CatDude
You'll like this one

ttuuxxx
Yes, Crappy.

tasmod

#88 Post by tasmod »

OK problem solved. I had loaded the libs first then conky, it didn't like that. Conky must be first then libs.

Now running OK.

CatDude, many thanks I'll load them now.

Rob

01micko

#89 Post by 01micko »

zigbert
Your pace of development is astounding!
I still have that installation issue where the monofont does the wild thing on this system. Easy fixed but I need to investigate. Any clues? Using IBM r31 Thinkpad, CeleronM 1066, 512 ram, run live cd, 412, ... any more info needed?

BTW, updated previous posts in this thread and my HOWTO for the analog clock skins. CatDude, added your suggestion to HOWTO.
Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 22 Dec 2008, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

CatDude

#90 Post by CatDude »

zigbert wrote:Version 0.3
See main post

CatDude
You'll like this one
Yes indeed, that's much easier 8)

Thank you Image

CatDude

zigbert

#91 Post by zigbert »

Hi guys

If you have looked into Pwidgets poor theming, please note that it is possible to make individual themes for each widget. See /root/.pwidgets/themes/DeepThought/. Here you see 'main' and 'Ram'. Main theme is used when no individual theme exist. All widgets with DeepThought theme are goldish, but the Ram widget are blue.

Sigmund

J-Bob

#92 Post by J-Bob »

well, i found a serious bug involving the analog clock in 0.3.
when the analog clock.png loads, the rox pinboard will not let you do anything and the rox filer will not either.

i think it's something in the script for loading the clock.

and i noticed that pwidgets does not seem to like updating itself when you save changes.

these would be good to fix for 0.4. but when a bugfix is made, expect it to be in PupCore, as well as the other DeepThought themes.

- J-Bob

#EDIT: It only refuses to when you have the analogclock.png addon.

i'll remove this in a rebranding, CoreWidgets, if that's fine with you?
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/MedliSage/MAL/thing-4.png[/img]
It's been a long time.

J-Bob

#93 Post by J-Bob »

actually, it attempts to resize the current active window. which is often the pinboard.

what if you made it run a small program which would disappear after pwidgets finishes loading, like a splash screen. that should be harmless and inconspicuous enough.

what do you thing Zigbert?

zigbert

#94 Post by zigbert »

J-Bob
what if you made it run a small program which would disappear after pwidgets finishes loading, like a splash screen. that should be harmless and inconspicuous enough.
I thought there already was such a splash ???

I think the trouble with resizing the pinboard comes from the attempt to fix the rendering of the Analog-clock. 01micko has made a fix for that which uses xevent to auto-click on the desktop to show clock. This might give trouble, and you could try to remove/change the code in /usr/sbin/fixwidgets.

Sigmund

01micko

#95 Post by 01micko »

J-Bob wrote:actually, it attempts to resize the current active window. which is often the pinboard.

Depending on the speed of your machine and what WM you use you may have to increase the sleep values for xevent. This may fix your problem. You may have to alter the cursor return coordinates as well. I have discussed this earlier in this thread. I'm working on a better fix.
Slight oversight with my fix, there may be problems if you have your task bar at the top of the screen, but that can be addressed maybe in your main post zigbert? My fix is just a basic convenience type of thing designed for JWM with task bar on the bottom with limited testing in Icewm.
Hope that helps. :)

J-Bob

#96 Post by J-Bob »

zigbert wrote:J-Bob
I thought there already was such a splash ???

I think the trouble with resizing the pinboard comes from the attempt to fix the rendering of the Analog-clock. 01micko has made a fix for that which uses xevent to auto-click on the desktop to show clock. This might give trouble, and you could try to remove/change the code in /usr/sbin/fixwidgets.

Sigmund
I think it is likely the auto-click, as it moves the mouse to the top-left and apparently drags it.

i'll do some bugfixing in fixwidgets and once i get it working, i'll upload the new script, if i'm able to.

- J-Bob

J-Bob

#97 Post by J-Bob »

01micko wrote:
J-Bob wrote:actually, it attempts to resize the current active window. which is often the pinboard.

Depending on the speed of your machine and what WM you use you may have to increase the sleep values for xevent. This may fix your problem. You may have to alter the cursor return coordinates as well. I have discussed this earlier in this thread. I'm working on a better fix.
Slight oversight with my fix, there may be problems if you have your task bar at the top of the screen, but that can be addressed maybe in your main post zigbert? My fix is just a basic convenience type of thing designed for JWM with task bar on the bottom with limited testing in Icewm.
i'm using the DeepThought theming built by Zigbert. My machine has a 1.13GHz Pentium III Mobile.

I might be able to find a way to fix the error.

@zigbert
i'll mention another thing, it does not show me a splash screen for pwidgets

zigbert

#98 Post by zigbert »

J-Bob
It would be interesting to see Pwidgets output when you run it from terminal. It might tell me the reason why the splash fails.

Sigmund

01micko

#99 Post by 01micko »

J-Bob wrote:
01micko wrote:

i'm using the DeepThought theming built by Zigbert. My machine has a 1.13GHz Pentium III Mobile.

I might be able to find a way to fix the error.

@zigbert
i'll mention another thing, it does not show me a splash screen for pwidgets
I did extensive testing on a slower laptop, but I did run into problems like you suggest. The sleep value is the key. :wink:

01micko

#100 Post by 01micko »

Have uploaded some files for 'xlideshow'. Pre alpha testing is necessary. Many helpers are welcome! :)