Placing icons on the desktop

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Fox7777

Placing icons on the desktop

#1 Post by Fox7777 »

We are setting up new users on Puppy Linux & need to place an icon on the desktop for gkdial if they need to dial out on a modem so all they have to do is click on the icon (or have gkdial already there ready to go). Setting up the modem in Puppy Linux 1.0.2 or 1.0.1 doesn't seem to automatically place the gkdial icon on the desktop. How do we either have the gkdial automatically appear when they start or place the gkdial icon on the desktop so they can click on it?

theelf

#2 Post by theelf »

My 2 cents worth!
The only problem so far is not being able to setup my printer connected to a printserver. I have 1.01 on one flash drive and 1.02 on another. With Gxine I can add mediamarks but when its closed they are lost ?? I have a couple to stations from Streamtuner I like. I would like to see Firefox return to Puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Placing icons on the desktop

#3 Post by Flash »

Fox7777 wrote:We are setting up new users on Puppy Linux & need to place an icon on the desktop for gkdial if they need to dial out on a modem so all they have to do is click on the icon (or have gkdial already there ready to go). Setting up the modem in Puppy Linux 1.0.2 or 1.0.1 doesn't seem to automatically place the gkdial icon on the desktop. How do we either have the gkdial automatically appear when they start or place the gkdial icon on the desktop so they can click on it?
I couldn't find it to try this, but if you could find the program you want to use, in ROX perhaps, you should be able to drag it out onto the desktop. Depending on how you've configured your Puppy (where the pup001 file is if you have one) the program should stay on the desktop when you reboot.

klhrevolutionist

Here's what I think

#4 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Instead of having three different kinds of multimedia apps just have one supermultimedia station
Instead of having three different kinds of anything just have one imacculate app u know
And think of incorporating synaptic RPM apt-get or just one super pupget that incorporates all
of course this might require changing platforms but puppy has come a long way
let's see puppy xp !!! The super pup a 550mb puppy puppy is in it's prime and while you got the help that you do create something for the pup itself think of it as a birthday to puppy

Auda

gkdial gtkcat

#5 Post by Auda »

gkdial is in /usr/local/bin to put it on the desktop just drag it from the directory and drop it were you want it, the hard part is finding where files are.
Gtkcat is not that bad when you learn how to use it. First you have to make a catalog of your drive and save it if you like, then you search the catalog. Problem being you have to make a new catalog every time new files are added.
Auda

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: gkdial gtkcat

#6 Post by Flash »

Auda wrote:gkdial is in /usr/local/bin to put it on the desktop just drag it from the directory and drop it were you want it.
Thanks! :)
the hard part is finding where files are.
Tell me about it :!: At least I can find programs and files in Windows; in Linux, it's a real Easter Egg Hunt. Filenames are crypic and cute, but not at all rational. Even developers are confused about where to put stuff. That aspect of Linux is a real mess, IMHO.
Gtkcat is not that bad when you learn how to use it. First you have to make a catalog of your drive and save it if you like, then you search the catalog. Problem being you have to make a new catalog every time new files are added.
Auda
So how do I do that? :? I haven't been able to get Gtkcat to do anything. Even the "Help" button is useless, and there's nothing on Gtkcat in Puppy's Start->Help menu.

Fox7777

#7 Post by Fox7777 »

Thanks! We originally could not find the location but now see all you have to do is right mouse click on the icon & then show location. We dragged a copy of gkdial from rox to the desktop, then found a telephone image in google images, saved it in /home/user/dial.jpg, then right mouse clicked on the generic gkdial icon & clicked File - Set Icon & dragged the telephone image into the "Drop an icon here" box. This makes it much easier for those we are setting up who would get lost without an easy icon to click on. The only other thing we need to figure out is how to have the gkdial window open to the right so it is not over the other icons.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

Fox7777 wrote:The only other thing we need to figure out is how to have the gkdial window open to the right so it is not over the other icons.
I tend to drag my icons to the bottom of the screen (depends on your screen resolution)

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/CrustyLobster

so dragging to the right should be OK

I notice your avatar features a golden labrador. A smart breed of dog I once tried to train to understand Arabic. The dog was clearly smart enough but would not wear the linguaphone headphones (the sunglasses it did not mind - so it was ready for the desert sun) . . . Strange things dogs ;)

Glitchman

#9 Post by Glitchman »

How does one create a shortcut on the desktop that has parameters passed to it (e.g. rxvt +sb -bg black -fg green -cr yellow -pr cyan -geometry 88x39-0-5 -fn 9x15)? I only know how to create such a shortcut in the Start menu via the .fvwm95 file.

puppypilgrim

Script to launch apps with command line parameters

#10 Post by puppypilgrim »

Glitchman,

This is how I do it on mine. YMMV.

Create a new SCRIPT file using a text editor. Now save the file using the menu > File SAVE AS > filename.sh The SH file extension is important as it identifies the file to Linux that it's a script file (similar to the batch file in DOS). The filename can be anything you like.

In the filename.sh file, it should look like this (you can even cut and paste this section as the contents of your rxvt script file to save time):

#!/bin/sh
# This line above tells the script file the directory and file location of the
# shell interpreter to use. In Puppy's case, it's the shell
# that comes with Busybox, the ASH shell. In version 1.03,
# it's the full BASH shell which you can access by substituting with
# !/bin/bash

# Now to start your program preferences.
rxvt +sb -bg black -fg green -cr yellow -pr cyan -geometry 88x39-0-5 -fn 9x15

Save the filename.sh to your home location and \or to a new scripts folder if you will be writing lots of scripts for better organization. Ideally, this should be in a folder which gets saved back into pup001 so your data is preserved.

Using ROX file manager, right-click the filename.sh file and select PERMISSIONS. Accept the default setting to make the file an EXECUTABLE file. The icon should how change and reflect it's new executable ability.

Now drag and drop this icon\filename.sh from wherever you have saved it to the desktop. Clicking on the icon will now launch RXVT with the commandline parameters passed to it.

Glitchman

#11 Post by Glitchman »

I must be doing something wrong. I tried everything above, but the icon never changes from its "binary" appearance. Clicking the icon brings up the following:
No run action specified for files of type (application/x-sh) - you can set a run action by choosing `Set Run Action' from the File menu, or you can just drag the file to an application
The trouble is, I do not know which application I should associate it with.

Rich

#12 Post by Rich »

If you've successfully written the script, and dragged a link to the desktop, it should work.

if you right click on the desktop icon, select the option 'Show Location'.
This opens a rox window with the actual script in it.
Right click on this script and select 'permissions'.
You are then presented with the option to 'change permissions of <filename>.'
Click on yes.
Now, if you click on the script file it should work.