i810 video on HP Pavillion XG843 doesn't work

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
jcagle

i810 video on HP Pavillion XG843 doesn't work

#1 Post by jcagle »

I'm using the video card that HP had pre-installed in the computer.

The highest resolution I've been able to get is 800x600. Well there was one time where I got 1024x768, but the color was aweful.

Is there a way to get a higher resolution in Puppy/Grafpup?

according to the HP web site, it was an Intel 810 card that it came with. I just recently downloaded the enhanced Kdrive, and I tried out the Xi810 X server, and I know there was discussion about the bug with that, but I didn't quite understand the workaround to getting it working.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Not that it matters, but just to keep our terms and thinking clear it sounds to me like your computer uses the Intel i810 chipset and has the video on the motherboard, not on a separate video card.

jcagle

#3 Post by jcagle »

I need to check the computer to make sure, but I do believe you're right about that.

It's not a computer I'm that crazy about anyway. It came with Windows ME on it. Sickening. But Puppy and Grafpup run great on the computer.

The only differences from the original setup are that I have a Soundblaster Live card and I've upgraded the RAM to 256 meg.

Anyway, staying on topic, yes, I believe the video is actually part of the motherboard, not a seperate card, on this computer.

#4 Post by guest »

I am seeing the same issue with Dell Gx270's (integrated I810 video chipsets). You can download a driver for linux from intel for your chipset, but I have had no luck with figuring out how to make the system use it. Following the help in puppy led me to the ismod command but it just tells me that the file is not an ELF file. I doubt Intel is going to change that.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

http://dotpups.de/diverse-tgz/i810_drv.o.tar.gz

Extract to
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers

Reboot.
If you currently use Xvesa, run xorgwizard again.

If it does not detect i810 automatically, write again.

Mark