the kennel (networked puppies)

Promote Puppy !
dougtheslug

the kennel (networked puppies)

#1 Post by dougtheslug »

is there anybody interested in writing scripts to automate the networking of puppy fit clients to a more powerfull pc , I have been able to conect to a edubuntu and skolelinux thinclient server using the ssh command and xdmcp from a pent 1 with 32 meg of ram ,( I like the fact that I can keep working if conection to the server is lost ) but I do not have the knowledge to automate the whole procedure i.e. the puppy client shoud be able to conect to the server at athe click of an icon or a combination of crlt+funckey ), forward sound and use local drives .
if there are other puppians interested in this project post an idea or script.
puppy is small and fast enough even in old hardware ideal for fit clients.
I think schools will benefit from puppy and a setup like this .

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Sounds like a poor man's version of H-P's Blade PCs :)

willhunt

It's me again :)

#3 Post by willhunt »

I'm a 6 computer family not including mine but I now have puppy installed on all of them how do I share files amongst them all ? and I've been reading again and I have found out reading can be "harmfull" I read the article about openMosix and was just wondering?

Can this be included in the puppy Kernel if so how?

sunburnt

openMosix

#4 Post by sunburnt »

You may or may not know that openMosix is a PC cluster with load sharing & balancing.
It requires kernel modifications, not hard for the someone who's done it.
It's neat because the slow PCs in the cluster run faster, helped by the fast ones.
It would be great to have a version of Puppy that would be a server for a cluster.

dougtheslug

freenx

#5 Post by dougtheslug »

why not include a nxclient-dotpup .
I tried to install it from theyr tar but I cant get the app to launch , I know it has been asked before but may be if more of us keep asking someone with the know how will take pitty on us and write a how-to (tha's my christmas wish anyways).

RMW

Re: openMosix

#6 Post by RMW »

sunburnt wrote:You may or may not know that openMosix is a PC cluster with load sharing & balancing.
It's neat because the slow PCs in the cluster run faster, helped by the fast ones.
It would be great to have a version of Puppy that would be a server for a cluster.
Cerberus Puppy? :D

sunburnt

#7 Post by sunburnt »

"Cerberus Puppy" ... Ha Ha! ... That's GREAT, we have a name for it!

I've heard of NX & NoMan, but I'm not sure what the differences are between it & openMosix setups (like ClusterKnoppix).

dougtheslug; could you enlighten us?

dougtheslug*

nxclient

#8 Post by dougtheslug* »

I think in clusterlinux all computers in the network share cpu power ,if there is a slow computer it will share the burden with a fast cpu computer
with NX the server is doing all the work and just sending the video and if configured (comercial version) the sound as well. to the client .
you can think of it as pc anywhere but faster even over a slow modem.
I prefer it over VNC.

BlackAdder

Cerberus

#9 Post by BlackAdder »

Not so sure about the name Cerberus Puppy. In Greek mythology, Cerberus was the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to Hades.
Mind you, Puppy 1.0.6 is a helluva puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

This thread looks similar.

dougtheslug*

neworked puppy

#11 Post by dougtheslug* »

MMMMM not what I have in mind , what I meant was having pent 1 with puppy as stand alone clients and having them login to a more powerfull pc with a heavy weight distro like Skolelinux or Ubuntu for more powerfull applications, I do this right now using SSH but manually ,I am looking for an automated solution. something easy for students to just click and login
without the need of typing passwords.

RMW

Re: Cerberus

#12 Post by RMW »

BlackAdder wrote:Not so sure about the name Cerberus Puppy. In Greek mythology, Cerberus was the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to Hades.
Mind you, Puppy 1.0.6 is a helluva puppy.
'zactly. Multi-headed Puppy :) Puppy that can "think" with more than one CPU.

Hmmm, along those lines I've got 6 computers here running WinXP... wonder if someone has come up with a way to allow distributed computing for them. Be a nice boost in computing because several of them are idling at any given time.

rarsa

Re: openMosix

#13 Post by rarsa »

sunburnt wrote:You may or may not know that openMosix is a PC cluster with load sharing & balancing.
You have to take into account the network latency and the kind of process you are doing. I'm not sure that word processing/internet browsing with a 10/100 Mbps network is a candidate for clustering.

Clustering works best in process intensive applications when the process can be split in smaller processes that can be run in paralell such as image rendering, video image processing, Web server with a high number of concurrent requests, etc.

dougtheslug

puppy&dsl

#14 Post by dougtheslug »

by installing dsl on a separate partition and chrooting into it I was able to have my cake and eat it too (use NXclient in dsl from puppy) .
all dsl icons apeared on my puppy screen by fluke when I refreshed the dsl desktop while chrooted into it , it freaks me out to see both sets of icons on the same screen and being able to use them all .
now if I could only automate the process I'll be one happy camper.
I gess I just have to learn more about scripting
Attachments
dsl&puppy.jpg
(50.91 KiB) Downloaded 1735 times
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

dougtheslug

FREENX

#15 Post by dougtheslug »

here is a link to a freeNX review in the linux journal , some one posted it on another forum it descrives what it can be done with freeNX even over low bandwith connections .
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8477
any body up to the task of making an NXclient dotpup
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: puppy&dsl

#16 Post by Lobster »

dougtheslug wrote:by installing dsl on a separate partition and chrooting into it I was able to have my cake and eat it too (use NXclient in dsl from puppy) .
all dsl icons apeared on my puppy screen by fluke when I refreshed the dsl desktop while chrooted into it , it freaks me out to see both sets of icons on the same screen and being able to use them all .
I gess I just have to learn more about scripting
dougtheslug wrote: all dsl icons apeared on my puppy screen by fluke when I refreshed the dsl desktop while chrooted into it , it freaks me out to see both sets of icons on the same screen and being able to use them all .
I guess I just have to learn more about scripting
Interesting. You may have the basis of a hybrid. Can this process occur from CD? If Puppy recognition of hardware does not work can the DSL routines be called (in boot up)? Or grub boot up from either? Is this a job for puptrix.org?

Once DSL is changed over from fluxbox to JWM (possible in the latest version) There is little between them (though of course the Puppy menu is far superior) . . .

m m m . . .

8)
here is some scripting to be going on with . . .
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 02 Dec 2005, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dougtheslug

jwm

#17 Post by dougtheslug »

I am working on making the dsl -jwm menu look like the one in puppy , I had it working once with fvwm so it should not be too hard , thanks for the links I will look them up tonight.